Hopefully just scored some push mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found an add on Craig's list for three mowers for 25 bucks. A two stoke alluminum deck John Deere, a snapper highvac self propelled with what looks like an older Tecumseh, and a wizard with a briggs. Looks like they should be able to be made into runners.

36.gif

Looks like the Deere is a 12pb and just from a quick search possibly has a lawnboy engine. It is missing the discharge chute but it is still available from Deere for 65 bucks. Don't know if it has spark.

The wizard is just a plain boring 20 inch mower. Will probably get it running and sell it. Deck is in great shape.

The snapper is in good shape also. Will need to get the drive system freed up so it can change speeds. Hopefully can find a carb kit for it.

Doesn't look like to bad of haul for 25 bucks if I can get them all going.

Last edited:
I rarely need to buy carb gaskets and such when fixing old stuff. The more you buy the smaller your profits will be.

Spray some starting fluid in the plug holes and or in the air filter. If they run you're golden.

The John Deere looks it has potential

Maybe clean up the deck and throw A new harbor freight Chonda on it...

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Does anyone know off hand what the transmission uses for fluid on the snapper. I can't find a manual online.

Technically the snapper transmission uses "OO" grease. Not something you are generally going to find at wally world or even most auto parts stores. Snapper dealers have it, and aftermarket may have it in small squeeze tubes. Smitty's also has it. It has heavier viscosity than gear oil, but thinner than gun grease.

Originally Posted By: old1
Does anyone know off hand what the transmission uses for fluid on the snapper. I can't find a manual online.

Technically the snapper transmission uses "OO" grease. Not something you are generally going to find at wally world or even most auto parts stores. Snapper dealers have it, and aftermarket may have it in small squeeze tubes. Smitty's also has it. It has heavier viscosity than gear oil, but thinner than gun grease.

Sounds like cornhead grease

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I rarely need to buy carb gaskets and such when fixing old stuff. The more you buy the smaller your profits will be.

Spray some starting fluid in the plug holes and or in the air filter. If they run you're golden.

The John Deere looks it has potential

Maybe clean up the deck and throw A new harbor freight Chonda on it...

I am deffinatly gonna keep the snapper and want to keep the Deere. If I can't get the twostroke on the Deere going I will probably part it out.

That Snapper is pretty cool. About 25 to 30 years old. Get it running and the self propel working again and it will run for another 25 years. Those things are indestructible.

Never seen one of those Deeres, from front kinda looks like a Snapper knock off...

It's roughly the consistency of ketchup, will kinda ooze... Bought some when I overhauled the trans on the one I mounted Honda engine onto... One of my local hardware stores stocks it, I believe it's Sterns brand...

BTW on all I've seen that were 25 or so years old the grease had mostly dried out, def a good idea to get some fresh in it... Doesn't need to be full(in fact will leak), procedure to check is push handle to ground and fill till it dribbles out, will be approx 3/4 full at that point...

That Briggs engine on that Wizard is probably the best engine of the three. I have had several,worked the heck out of them and they kept going strong for years.

Well I am off to a bad start on the snapper. Changed the oil and put gas in and gave it a pull or two to see what happens. Nothing. Put a little gas down the carb and still nothing. Pulled the plug and it was wet. Took a lighter to dry it off and the moisture didn't burn. Put the plug back in and sprayed some carb cleaner in it and it fired and ran till the cleaner was gone. Tried to take the needle out of the bottom of the carb and it didn't budge. Tried to take the bolt out of the bowl and it broke. There was lots of dried crud in the bowl and no trace of fresh gas. The needle was rusty so it looks like it had moisture in it also. Gonna pull the carb and let it set in the dip cleaner for a while to see if it is salvageable.

Looks like I have an odd motor as I can't find much info on it. It is a tvs120 but all the carbs I am finding have fixed jets and primers.

The TVS120 is a tank of an engine. The carburetor is junk. Don't waste any time on it at all. Just buy a replacement 632795A. The only oddity you may come across is that the press fitting for the fuel barb may be backward (depends on the application and you'll need to reroute the fuel line. Be prepared to reuse some of your old parts like air cleaner adapters as the replacements they provide are junk. You may also need to buy some 1" ID hose to reconnect to the air cleaner. It all depends on which revision of the TVS120 you have.

I buy a lot of parts from these guys:
http://www.ombwarehouse.com/Tecumseh-632795A-Carburetor.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Tecum...=item27ffa67ef2

Yes that what it is. I picked up a squeeze tube from my local hardware that is a Snapper dealer. Cost about $3.00 and some change a couple years ago. Online prices were ridiculous for the same tube I bought at the hardware store.

I actually used it on a Craftsman front wheel drive push mower. The 00 grease is the right consistency to not pour out the ends of the shaft seals. The transmission pulled like a champ after I got the 00 grease in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
The TVS120 is a tank of an engine. The carburetor is junk. Don't waste any time on it at all. Just buy a replacement 632795A. The only oddity you may come across is that the press fitting for the fuel barb may be backward (depends on the application and you'll need to reroute the fuel line. Be prepared to reuse some of your old parts like air cleaner adapters as the replacements they provide are junk. You may also need to buy some 1" ID hose to reconnect to the air cleaner. It all depends on which revision of the TVS120 you have.

I buy a lot of parts from these guys:
http://www.ombwarehouse.com/Tecumseh-632795A-Carburetor.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Tecum...=item27ffa67ef2
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah buy a new carb and don't spend one second on the old one. Here is a new replacement on eBay for $15 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-carbure...=item3aad1e1df1

I am not that lucky to have a cheap carb like that. This would be my carb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecumseh-carburetor-632090-Gasket-Included-/261455957409?hash=item3cdffd4da1

Gonna try to rebuild it first. I would hate to loose the adjustable idle and high speed jets.

The motor is a tvs120-63083g. Not a common one.

Last edited:
The carburetor that Bubba and I recommended is the correct carburetor. It will work with all functions like adjustable butterfly cable and it has adjustable jet. They are interchangeable. I just swapped one of them on my personal TVS120 premier series and the only modification I had to make was rerouting the fuel line because the press fitting went the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back