Honda V6 AISIN TKH-002 Timing Belt Kit – My review

Hello all, I thought I would piggyback on this thread. So far there's a lot of good, pertinent info and I'm hoping some of you might have some insights on my project. I'm doing an engine swap on my 2008 Honda Ridgeline. I'm replacing an engine with 179k miles (due to valve damage from a timing belt issue) for one with 50k. Since the new one will be accessible, I figured I would replace all the belts and hoses, including the timing belt. I've been told not to mess with it since it only has 50k miles. But I thought it made sense to do it while it's easier and just start from scratch. Does anybody have an opinion on that? This project will cost a small fortune and I need to save where I can. I found a deal on an OEM TB kit that looks like they are genuine Honda parts. Only problem is, the packaging is generic. I'm curious if it was just repackaged or if there's something I should be worried about. From what I can tell it looks like most of it is legit, but the water pump is stamped 2005. Is that an issue, possibly with the gasket at least? I can't tell how old everything else is. Any input on the markings on the individual parts would be helpful. The hydraulic tensioner is particularly unknown since I can't see any brand stamp. FYI, the pump is wrapped in plastic so it may distort the images a little. Any other input on things I should do or issues to consider, would be appreciated. Thanks
No, no, no. There would be no reason for that, if they are genuine Honda parts then they would come in "Honda" bags or boxes with Honda labels. Otherwise something fishy was going on and the fishiness isn't likely to stop at those labels. Honda likely casts their logo on the water pump housing, I know Toyota and BMW do. But even then with that goofy packaging I'd never trust it.

I'd suggest you find out if an Aisin kit is available. Although it may not be OEM it will be as good or better than OEM.

Edit: Aisin makes a kit, the part number is TKH-002 and sells for about $170 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: KP2
KP2, I would replace the items you're replacing if I were in your shoes.

There's no way I know of to tell for certain whether parts are genuine Honda parts unless you got them from your Honda dealer. I suppose it's possible there are dealers out there running non-Honda parts in these areas; IDK. I also don't know whether there are manufacturing dates coded into the numbers on those particular parts.

The plastic packages have correct part numbers formatted roughly correctly for Honda parts. I don't recall mine coming in packages without Honda's logo, but I can't be 100% certain.

The following four Genuine Honda parts: Timing belt, Tensioner, Water pump, and Accessory drive belt list for just about $530 from a Honda dealer (according to the invoice from my local Honda dealer, where I got them a few months back). If you have a good relationship with your dealer you can probably save 20%; maybe a bit more.

I'm not a fan of parts that can effectively destroy my engine (timing belt, tensioner, idlers) if they malfunction, coming from the aftermarket if there's a truly massive price difference. They may be 'good enough' most of the time, and there may be more than JUST the tighter and more thorough specs, testing, and engineering involved in the price at the dealer, but I don't believe it's ALL fluff.

For 'mission-critical' parts, I'll take factory parts, thankyouverymuch. (-:

What they said. There's LOTS of counterfeit parts on Amazon/Ebay that come packaged with what appear to be official labels. Stick to buying real parts from a real dealer, or use the Aisin Kit.

The TKH-002 is a solid product that I would put up against the parts direct from the dealer any day of the week.

Edited to add.

You're replacing an engine with a used engine. Do yourself a big favor and replace the oil pump seals while you have the engine out. See this thread for a list of seals to get you going. Of course, cross check the part numbers against the Ridgeline ones and make sure they are the same. They should be, since there is very little difference in the J-Series motors in that area. (Valve covers are a different story, many of those are different)

Ugh, I just looked at that post and it is now a jumble since the forum change. I'll see about tacking a thread on the end to make it more readable.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. Also, thanks ctechbob for all the detailed info. It does get quite involved. It looks like I'll be taking most of the collective advice and going with the Aisin TKH-002 kit along with most of the gaskets and seals ctechbob listed in the link he provided.

My mechanic said it was overkill to do the valve gaskets on an engine with only 50k miles. I totally get the logic of doing it while it's out of the vehicle, but I'm not sure it's worth the added expense of what my mechanic wants to do it. This project is already costing a lot more than I'd hoped and I need to avoid added expenses. I'm including a short list of some of my remaining questions and a few of the items I'm using. I'm open to input if you see something that doesn't look right, could be a problem, or you just think there's a better option.

Should I go with Spectra Premium or OSC radiator? OEM seems like it's prone to SMOD issues and these seem to be the two that are mentioned the most. Is there a better option? Again, this is for a 2008 Honda Ridgeline.

Hondabond HT or Hondabond 4 - What is the difference and are they intended for different uses?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a fuel filter replacement? A link would be great.

What I have so far:
Aisin TKH-002 timing belt kit
Gates belt drive kit
Front, side, and rear OEM engine mounts. Should I bother with new transmission mounts?
Stant SuperStat® thermostat - STANT 46337
Honda/NGK Iridium spark plugs 9807B-5517W
Gates radiator hoses
Genuine (97121001001) Honda Extended Life Type 2 Coolant (Blue - 2 gallons)
Castrol 03057 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart
K&N Premium Oil Filter PS-1010

That's it for now. As usual, I'm open to comments and suggestions. Thanks

The only info I have on this thread in terms of OEM vs. aftermarket:

My 2001 Civic had exact Honda OEM parts installed for its second timing belt at 200k. The tensioner spring pulley failed after about 10k, and took out the head/valves. I didn't pay for the fix because it was covered through my mechanic who went after Honda.
So, who knows........perhaps a Gates will fail never, and Honda fails in 10k. Things happen.

I would not worry about the valve cover gaskets. Those are very easy to do on any J-series engine.

I would strongly consider resealing the oil pump while the engine is out. IME there is a 50/50 chance of an oil pump seal leak due to age (and not mileage). It is much easier to do this job when the timing belt is being done.

The Aisin kit is an OK option but is definitely not OE quality for the water pump. You might be better off buying a Gates component kit (w/o water pump or hydraulic tensioner), Honda water pump and Honda hydraulic timing belt tensioner. The Aisin WP has an issue with how the tensioner pulley sits; some vehicles will experience a faint knocking/rubbing sound at idle.

I would not worry about the valve cover gaskets. Those are very easy to do on any J-series engine.

I would strongly consider resealing the oil pump while the engine is out. IME there is a 50/50 chance of an oil pump seal leak due to age (and not mileage). It is much easier to do this job when the timing belt is being done.

The Aisin kit is an OK option but is definitely not OE quality for the water pump. You might be better off buying a Gates component kit (w/o water pump or hydraulic tensioner), Honda water pump and Honda hydraulic timing belt tensioner. The Aisin WP has an issue with how the tensioner pulley sits; some vehicles will experience a faint knocking/rubbing sound at idle.
That's interesting because my understanding is Aisin is the OEM manufacturer of Honda water pumps. That's the first I've heard of there being an issue. I will look into it more but I'm hoping to not have to make another change to the plan. I will follow up if I find anything. Thanks

That's interesting because my understanding is Aisin is the OEM manufacturer of Honda water pumps. That's the first I've heard of there being an issue. I will look into it more but I'm hoping to not have to make another change to the plan. I will follow up if I find anything. Thanks
Aisin has not been the Honda supplier for V6 w/p's in over 7 years. Yamada is the OE supplier for water pumps to Honda.

Google "Honda V6 aisin warbling noise" and you will find plenty of threads about this.

One person's perspective....fairly accurate from what I have seen:

"I have steered away from Aisin kit because the tensioner pulley got noisy over time, even though it is the same Koyo pulley. I believe the problem is in the water pump not having a flattened and shaved boss to mount the tensioner pulley, causing it to mis-align with the timing belt slightly. There was a "warbling" sound while on the Aisin kit, after switching back to the OEM kit recently at 305000 miles, that noise is gone. The Aisin water pump's blade also isn't mounted flush to the driveshaft like the OEM's for some reason (picture included). The Mitsuboshi timing belt held up just fine, the idler pulley actually has the same exact Koyo pulley as the tensioner's, just with different mount pressed on in the center. The Aisin hydraulic tensioner didn't leak either after 4 years and 100k miles of usage. "

I think the noise is more of an annoyance than an actual issue, but buyer beware.

Wow that is completely unlike my experience. Now granted most Aisin water pumps I've installed have been for a Toyota (where they are OEM), but the one for my old Honda was like a piece of artwork and it aligned with the timing belt just fine. It's been many miles since I installed it and I've had that cover off a couple of times since then, no weird wear and no leaks so far.

How odd, I had blind trust in their kits for any vehicle.

Wow that is completely unlike my experience. Now granted most Aisin water pumps I've installed have been for a Toyota (where they are OEM), but the one for my old Honda was like a piece of artwork and it aligned with the timing belt just fine. it's been many miles since I installed it and I've had that cover off a couple of times since then, no weird wear and no leaks so far.

How odd, I had blind trust in their kits for any vehicle.
Those Aisin kits are used by most independent service centers. The failure rate is extremely low or almost unheard of. Most people either never notice the noise or ignore it, and it does not affect every kit. Probably 1 in 4 from what I have seen. I am not saying the noise is okay, but it does not appear to cause a functionality or reliability issue.

Those Aisin kits are used by most independent service centers. The failure rate is extremely low or almost unheard of. Most people either never notice the noise or ignore it, and it does not affect every kit. Probably 1 in 4 from what I have seen. I am not saying the noise is okay, but it does not appear to cause a functionality or reliability issue.
That is news to me. Would you recommend https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1330603&cc=1440502&jsn=459? Any suggestions on a radiator? Other than Spectra and OSC, CSF looks like a viable option. I have to be honest, radiators are starting to feel like a crapshoot. Any help would be appreciated. I'm also still trying to figure out the difference between Hondabond HT and Hondabond 4.

That is news to me. Would you recommend https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1330603&cc=1440502&jsn=459? Any suggestions on a radiator? Other than Spectra and OSC, CSF looks like a viable option. I have to be honest, radiators are starting to feel like a crapshoot. Any help would be appreciated. I'm also still trying to figure out the difference between Hondabond HT and Hondabond 4.
I have never seen 4, everyone uses Hondabond HT.
I usually use the Denso radiators.

The Gates timing belt and tensioner pulleys are good quality. The belt may even be the same Unitta belt - it is made in Japan. But the rest of the kit is low quality. As I said earlier, it may sense to buy the Gates component kit and purchase the water pump and hydraulic tensioner from the Honda dealer.

Attachments

• 72C29CCA-8B7E-40B7-B018-F2F58CE6419E.jpeg
    72C29CCA-8B7E-40B7-B018-F2F58CE6419E.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 94
  • E51B2023-4A32-4EC3-AAE9-77CDB079DF25.jpeg
    E51B2023-4A32-4EC3-AAE9-77CDB079DF25.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 92
I have never seen 4, everyone uses Hondabond HT.
I usually use the Denso radiators.

The Gates timing belt and tensioner pulleys are good quality. The belt may even be the same Unitta belt - it is made in Japan. But the rest of the kit is low quality. As I said earlier, it may sense to buy the Gates component kit and purchase the water pump and hydraulic tensioner from the Honda dealer.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I've looked into Denso but I keep hearing about a significant SMOD issue. The Hondabond question remains unsolved. I will keep searching on both and I'm still open to additional input.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I've looked into Denso but I keep hearing about a significant SMOD issue. The Hondabond question remains unsolved. I will keep searching on both and I'm still open to additional input.
In regards to Hondabond:

Hondabond 4 Semi-Drying Sealant P/N 08717-1194 - Liquid gasket sealant used to seal critical areas as specified in service manuals. Do not use it for gasketless applications. (I believe this is the replacement for Hondabond 4 Silicone Gasket P/N 08718-0004 and is likely what I should have used on the aforementioned Acura TL.)

Hondabond HT Silicone Gasket P/N 08718-0004 - Adhesive sealer for metal-to-metal, metal-to-plastic, or plastic-to-plastic bonding. Good for high temperature applications. (This replaced P/N 08718-0001).”
Every dealer I’ve worked with uses Hondabond HT. Good luck getting a fresh tube of Hondabond 4. Freshness of the tube is extremely important - RTV expires.

Not trying to be annoying, but here are some additional complaints of that noise from the amazon reviews:

"Save yourself the aggravation and buy OEM from the dealer. After a couple thousand miles I have to redo the job with dealer parts because either the tensioner or the idler are making the “warble” noise. This is with the serpentine belt removed... it doesn’t make noise until warmed up. I should have searched the reviews by negative because the exact same issue I’m having seems to have happened to a few people. It’s the exact same noise that is described as a “warble”. It’s probably happening to more people but they don’t realize it with the ac compressor and fans running it’s hard to hear. This was installed on a 2014 Acura MDX at 105k miles and only a couple thousand miles later I started hearing the noise. "

"This is the second kit I have gotten and both make the same exact sound and it's annoying as hell. I had a return authorization but never went through with it as they wanted to replace it with the same thing again. I have done this so much I can get it out in record time but I will not use anything but Honda OEM parts from here on out. If you look up Accord v6 belt warble you will see exactly what I am talking about. The timing is spot on and it doesn't seem to affect performance or driveability but the noice is not cool and very off putting. The dying OEM pump and belt never made noise anywhere near this and some people could likely tolerate it I however cannot. The bearings in the pumps have a high failure rate and the noise isn't present until warmed up. Then all hell breaks loose and it gets worse with heat. Do yourself a favor and get OEM and forget about any aftermarket stuff especially something this important."

You're not being annoying but I have given up on "reviews" from places like Amazon. For one thing you have no idea how mechanically competent the person is, plus you really don't know if the guy has some axe to grind against somebody and is taking it out on the vendor. I know that I've been guilty of being absolutely, positively, without-a-shadow-of-doubt certain about something and then later had to eat crow when I found out I was wrong.

But whatever, I haven't had one bit of trouble with Aisin kits and I guess I'm going off that. I haven't seen all the water pumps that Aisin sells in those kits so granted my experience is quite limited in the overall scheme of things. I'm just saying that the ones I've seen have been really, really nice looking and have never failed me yet.

About the radiators:
None of the aftermarket radiators I’ve seen for the Ridgeline (may be somewhat beefier than other J-35 applications; IDK), which includes the Denso, have as much heat rejection capacity as the Honda radiator either in terms of the main coolant core or the OTW exchanger for ATF in the lower rad tank.

That may not matter for you, but for me in southern AZ, it does.

About the radiators:
None of the aftermarket radiators I’ve seen for the Ridgeline (may be somewhat beefier than other J-35 applications; IDK), which includes the Denso, have as much heat rejection capacity as the Honda radiator either in terms of the main coolant core or the OTW exchanger for ATF in the lower rad tank.

That may not matter for you, but for me in southern AZ, it does.

The worst part is when Denso is the OE supplier but won't rebox the OE radiator for aftermarket sales 🥶🤖:mad:
OE Denso could be made in the USA while aftermarket is from China

Back