Honda Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 03 Accord V6 and there is a removable transmission filter. I believe starting with this generation Honda use removable trans filter. Is it necessary to change these? I mean no one ever talks about them and most likely owners may not even know for the ownership of the vehicle. I don't even think Honda dealers tell customers about this service when they bring their car in.

Alldata lists 12.6 hrs to replace and mentions "removing and inspecting transmission". So....I would say, don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Alldata lists 12.6 hrs to replace and mentions "removing and inspecting transmission". So....I would say, don't worry about it.

I think you are talking about the 4 speed. This is a 5 speed auto and I have seen pictures on v6performance(I think) changing it. The filter housing is right under the air intake tube. 30 minutes to change I would say. Obviously I have not done myself and the thought of something go wrong is not pretty when dealing with trans.

Unless they changed it quite a bit, the honda trans "filter" is just a rock catcher. I am still using my original automatic and have never changed any type of filter for 349K miles. also, I must add that even some dealer techs or service advisors are not even sure of what is on the vehicle. Had one tell me (before I knew the car) that there was no fuel filter, and another one told me the headlights were not adjustable!

The 5 speed AT on the 03 has a proper media type cartridge filter, it is not just a coarse steel mesh like older generation ATs. It is fairly easy to replace, and should be done at sensible intervals (i.e. every 60K miles). The dealership will likely not know which part you are talking about, so you will have to bring a parts diagram and point out exactly which part you require.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
joel,

They did change it quite a bit. You can get the part number from online Honda dealerships which have a parts presence such as http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts.php.

OK wasn't sure and also didn't consider that it's a V6. I have no knowledge of the V6 accords. Kinda wish the factory had an exterior spin-on for trans.....that would be nice

There are a couple Accord forums where these filters are brought up. From the discussions I have read, a few things seem obvious:
1. The Honda dealers don't seem to know anything about these filters. Either don't know they are there at all, and/or don't recommend any replacement. The parts people deny they exist, and quotes for replacing them are over-exagerated - as if they are tearing down the tranny to replace an internal filter.
2. The users who have replaced these filters find that they are designed a lot like an oil filter, and are subject to getting clogged.
3. The consensus from people who have replaced their filters and inspected the old ones is that yes, they need to be replaced on a regular basis. However, since Honda has not seen fit to specify routine replacement of the item (or even admit they exist), recommendations vary a lot.

I just ordered a filter for my 09 Accord V6. The car has 25k miles on it and for peace of mind I'm replacing this filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back