Is Subaru engine and transmission reliable?

The FB engine for its first 3 years was well known for high oil consumption because of loose tolerances.

The direct injection versions instead now have embarrassing high fuel dilution because they refuse to add a port injection side, which they have done successfully before but instead choose to fleece their customers.

I love their mechanical AWD systems, and no complaints with its CVT.

I have a soft spot for EJ anything. If an EJ is still on the road it’s probably a safe bet. My favorite is the 2010-2012 Outback, it is a very comfortable highway cruiser.

Last edited:
My brother used to brag how fast he could drop an air cooled VW and transfer the goodies to a new long block and re-install. Dropping an engine to replace a seal seems kind of ignorant but Subarus aren't alone in this type of scroow the customer engineering.

My main philosophical problem with Subaru is the boxer offers few tangible benefits and only drawbacks in the segments they compete in. The cars aren't sports cars and the engines are on par with their competition, not better in terms of output. The flat engine makes sense for Porsche. I don't think it really makes sense for commuter vehicles.

OP here. Thanks all. I think I’ll pass on Subaru due to minimal benefit (AWD excellence) and plenty of drawbacks. As I don’t live in Colorado or any where where AWD is a must, I can’t see myself dealing with the known headaches and it is not even good on gas so that rules it out as a ideal commuter car.

Back