Honda S2000 any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a year 2000 Honda S2000 with now 116000km on the clock, I drove about 36000km in it as a daily driver.
And its FANTASTIC!
Engine, gearbox, handling are all much better then I ever experienced, but thats just me.
Btw, a 2004 should have a glass rear window.
The redline for the 2.0 liter is 9000 rpm. with max power @ 8500. That 2.0 liter VTEC F20C engine was "Engine of the year" for 5 or 6 years in a row! When most cars shift gear, In a S2000 you have another 3000rpm to go in VTEC! No MX-5 can beat that, allthough the MX-5 is good IMO.
That "The truth about cars" website is just an opinion, as is mine. Only thing is I am an owner for 15 months now and NOT planning selling it any day soon, most likely never
cheers.gif

I could go on-and-on-and-on....
grin.gif

Check out S2Ki.com
smile.gif

quote:

True in what you say but, the hp of the S2000 is far greater than anything British made from that time, except maybe a Jag, and the S2000 will out handle any stock MG or Triumph ever made.

But consider a modern chassis with modern chassis stiffness in a car that weights in at 1600 pounds, with a modern suspension, brakes, tires and a modern motor (say 2 litre 240 HP S2k Motor). This thing would run rings around anything on the road today (up to 140 MPH). Sort-of like imagining an Elise that weighted 600 pounds less than it does!

The S2K is a fine little automobile, but it would be an absolutely superior sports car at 1600 pounds. At its 2600 pounds it is only really good.

On the flip side of the coin, there are many (many) drivers who would get more of their 'jollies' punched with a light sports car capable of only 0.7 Gs. At 0.7Gs a small mistake moves the car 3-5 feet off line (half a lane of traffic). In a car with 1.0 Gs capability the same size of driving mistake moves the car 15-20 feet off-line (2 lanes of trffic) with the potential for disasterous consequences.

Go for it, its "the" sports car. boxters are to much$$ mazdas are too small, corvettes are too big.they run great Ive put 20k trouble free miles on mine. and they have enough torque, and a awesome 6 speed tranny. check out S2ki.com for all the info you want.

It sounds good from what I'm reading here. Just started looking over S2Ki.com looks like they have some good information. Thanks for the tips. I see from S2Ki.com that 2006 is going to be the last year of production for the S2000. That figures, it sure does not give me much time to make up my mind on the matter.

Can't understand why the best selling roadster of all time is "too small"? Bigger in a roadster is not necessarily better.

Again, depends what one wants. S2000, Porshe Boxster or 911, BMW Z4 and Corvettes are very capable cars. In fact they are so capable the only place to get near their limits is on a track.

A used Miata can be a lot of fun for the money. Run it for a year, learn how to drive it well and if you want to upgrade you can sell it in a year ot two and not lose much.

To Hirev: I have not been a member for long on S2Ki but in that short time I have seen a lot of posts about "this year is the last year for the S2000". Its sort of a running gag.
smile.gif

Btw.. you could always buy a good second hand S2000
wink.gif

After buying a S2000 I guess you have to rename to VeryHirev
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
It sounds good from what I'm reading here. Just started looking over S2Ki.com looks like they have some good information. Thanks for the tips. I see from S2Ki.com that 2006 is going to be the last year of production for the S2000. That figures, it sure does not give me much time to make up my mind on the matter.

My dad has an 2000 S2000 and has had it for almost 6 years now. He LOVES it. The last year thing has been going around since 2000, when we were looking at them sales guys said it was gonna be super limited only year car etc etc.... IMHO in 2007 or 2008 there are going to be big changes in the s2000 or be discontinued when the new NSX comes out. Then maybe the S will come back? but No one knows, everything is speculation and honda's don't really leak much so u will have to wait till honda annouces something. What has been said about torque is mostly true, yes there is no toruqe below 3k rpms but u shouldn't be spending too much time there. The S2000 is a TRUE SPORTS CAR, with honda quality/reliablilty, something IMHO not many other cars can match. Yes ocassionally there are some minor rattles and yes the original ones did come with a plastic window, but so does my neighboors $90,000 carrera cabriolet, does that make it a ***? i say not. The plastic window also has a tendancy to got foggy looking, but as long as it is cleaned and cared for this is not an issue. Many actally prefer the plastic over the glass b/c the window is bigger.
Ok i think that is enough rambling, the s2k is a great car but it is true sports car so it is not for everyone. Take one for a drive and see what you think.

There is a reason why the S2000 was voted "the most satisfying car" by British people.
cheers.gif

I realize that down in the "Unateh Stahtes" cubic inches and torque are hard to get away from
tongue.gif
but yes, the S is not for everyone's tastes. Btw, I have the 04, 2.2L with 8300 rpm redline and more torque.
smile.gif

The highlites:
The car handles like a large gokart. Shifter is top 3 in the industry as reported by many reviewers. Brakes are very good. The engine does need to be revved but it LOVES to rev and I do it every chance I get.
grin.gif
At the same time, I can shift around 3-4K rpm for normal driving and get adequate acceleration.

Now for the lowlites:
You need to rev the engine to get the most power out of it. For some this is bad, which is ok, you are a mustang/corvette/cubic inches kinda guy. No probs.
The visibility with top up is so so. The noise with top up is loud, a good amount of wind in the cabin at 120km/hr. The ride is firm, can be jarring on very bad roads. Notice these lowlites are tied directly to the spirit of the car, not design or quality problems.

Personally I love the car. If you appreciate great handling, steering, gear box, brakes and an F1 style engine, AND you like top down vehicles, this is the best bang for your buck. The MX-5 is less money but less power. The Germans are much more $$$, at least they are here in Canada. The S is a very good compromise between those two extremes. Extremely fun and very rewarding. If I had the need for more power, I'd rather super/turbo charge it, than buy a Boxster or Z4.

From what I've heard and seen, the S2000 seems like a great car. Don't take everything you read on S2ki too seriously though; there's a lot of fanboyism that goes on there. Like the "article" trying to explain why the S2000 is a better car than the EVO where they said something along the lines of "an S2000 is basically an F1 car with power windows."

quote:

Originally posted by Nick29:
Like the "article" trying to explain why the S2000 is a better car than the EVO where they said something along the lines of "an S2000 is basically an F1 car with power windows."

I think anyone trying to explain that is severely confused anyway; an S2000 and EVO are entirely different classes of car, for entirely different tastes and purposes.

Nice car, loved the free revving engine, its torque is way up the rev range, and it needs to be kept on-the-boil to really perform.The bigger engine makes it better at low revs too, much more mid-range.
....and the redline is almost as high as my Mazdas'!
grin.gif

doc

So after you test drove a s-2000 what dident you like about it? and you know more about an S-2000 than the "fanboys" at s2ki.com? come and share all this knowlodge with us.

quote:

Originally posted by oakfloor:
So after you test drove a s-2000 what dident you like about it? and you know more about an S-2000 than the "fanboys" at s2ki.com? come and share all this knowlodge with us.

I haven't test driven one and I didn't say there was anything I don't like about it or that I know more than anyone about the car.

I just said that when a site posts something like this I wouldn't go there to ask "what should I buy. . ." type questions or for unbiased opinions.

The S2000 is a great car, but so are the EVO (which I haven't driven) and STi (which I've ridden in, but not driven). The S2000, however, is very different from the other two, as should be obvious to anyone who can see that it's normally aspirated, rear wheel drive, 2 seat, convertible while the other two are awd, turbocharged sedans.

If the original poster were looking for the fastest car in that price range, the S2000 clearly isn't the choice (look at the SCCA T2 and autox National Championship results if you don't believe me). If he's looking for a quick, fun to drive roadster for a daily driver, then the other two clearly aren't the choice. My point is that there's a good number of people on S2Ki who are too blinded by their love for the S2000 that they can't see that.

Having driven neither of these, and to continue the bench top racing theme, it seems to me that the MR2 Spyder ought to be ranked somewhere between the S2000 and the Miata. At least its heart is in the right place for good tossability. Am I missing something?

Well since you dont own one ,or have ever test drove one..you dont really know what your talking about. we like our s2k because its a great car for $20-30k. and many s2k "blind" lovers have, and do own other cars. but thanks for your opinon, and for letting me have mine.

Huh??? Quote something negative I've said about the car or something that I couldn't know without having driven one. Or did you take me saying that the car is not an F1 car as putting it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back