Honda Rebel or Kawasaki Ninja 250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't ever buy a bike without test rides. Ride them both,see which one you prefer,then go find a nice used one.

FWIW, I looked at a Ninja 250. I'm 602 and about 190. IMHO, it was too small for me. I have about a 34" inseam and my knee hit right about the curve in the fuel tank. I could tuck it but it didn't feel right. I bought an 07 YZF 600 RW and LOVE it. Plenty of power and 50 mpg to boot. I got it last Friday and have 270 miles on it already.

I realize that cash outlay is a concern her. However if you could find a nice old 883 Sportster (and you well may in the $3000 - 4000 range) you can get mpg up into the 60s and at what time you decide to sell probably recoup a larger percentage of your original purchase price. I mean it is to each their own but just a thought. The Sportster would be a bit more at home on the freeway and they do get great gas mileage. My wife has a 1200 and I ride it occasionally and it hits the 60 mpg mark with some regularity on my 35 mile each way commute. Just a thought. Of the two bikes you mentioned I think the Rebel may actually be more comfortable but about 70 - 75 mph is all the squeeze they have. I personally would tighten up a bit if I could not keep up with the flow. I hav never ridden a 250 Ninja more than around the block.

Late model low mileage Honda/Yamaha Rebel/Ninja's are too close to the price of a new one to even consider. It's like trying to buy a Civic or a Corolla.

A three year old bike within $500 of a new one is ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Good point. On Craig's list the Rebels and other used bikes are not discounted all that much over a new one. Now the scooter/mopeds can be found for considerable less than retail I am finding.

There are some folks on Craigslist in Dallas listing 06 and 07 Ninjas for hundreds more than I paid for my 07 with .8 miles on it. They make me laugh, but I guess it's better to aim high than aim low. I hate the haggling game, so I just list it for what I want for it and reject all lower offers. Haven't had a problem selling anything yet.

Originally Posted By: blackcherry06
There are some folks on Craigslist in Dallas listing 06 and 07 Ninjas for hundreds more than I paid for my 07 with .8 miles on it. They make me laugh, but I guess it's better to aim high than aim low. I hate the haggling game, so I just list it for what I want for it and reject all lower offers. Haven't had a problem selling anything yet.

This happens because they go in to buy with no down payment. Pay tax, license, setup, and delivery on the bike and now they are a few hundred upside down on the new bike. By the time they get it home and they are used we are a few hundred more upside down. NOw you do not like it or worse decide you cannot afford it and try to sell.... you see where this leads. I have a payment on both my bikes but it is fairly small and not upside down on either. Buy used at a big discount or buy new but never buy used at new price no matter what kinda bike it is.

I have an 06 Ninja 250..imho it is a GREAT bike....plenty of power for around town, ooops, brain [censored] and just goofs on the throttle won't kill you...can be ridden on the highway as it has a top speed of 110 I believe...downfall is it's weight...you get blown all over the place on the highway...not much protection from the wind as it is an upright ride.

I rode a Rebel in my MSF class and much prefer the Ninja...

My plan was to sell the Ninja once I got the CBR 600 but things may be changing....I may be selling the CBR and getting a Kawasaki Classic LT 900 Vulcan and keeping the Ninja as a fun toy for around town and country rides. I just back from Vegas and I saw so many cruisers out there in Zion NP and Death Valley....just looked so comfortable and fun..not to mention the wife wanting to ride with me but will absolutely not get on the back of a Sport Bike.

No to mention even riding the CBR 2 times a week to work (100 mile r/t) beats the heck out of me.....my heart was thinking more than my head I think when I got the CBR....better mpg on the 900 and a more comfortable commute for sure...

Gotta really think but leaning to the Cruiser

Goose
34.gif

The 08 Ninja is sweet, but the markup is rediculous now. There's ONE Lime Green in the entire Dallas area right now and they're wanting $4500 out the door. I got my 07 OTD for $2953. Sure I would have loved an 08, but not at that price and on a waiting list.

Last edited:
$4500 out the door? With a msrp of $2995 plus get ready? I'd be looking outside the Dallas area.

Called Kawaski dealer and inquire about the 08' Ninja. He told me point blank that these bikes are back ordered until freakin' August!!! And when they do become available, were talking a pretty steep markup. Wow, for about 1500 more than the marked up price on the Ninja, a guy could get into a nice Vulcan 500 LTD with the Ninja engine.

3500-4000 is too buch for a 250 IMHO.

Nice bike wantin'....quite the change from a 250! Treat her nice or she will bite you hard lol

Looks similar in style to my F4i with the banana seat and all and a semi upright riding position...does look like it has some decent wind protection.

Enjoy!

Over 4K for a Ninja 250?? Man that is just wrong

Goose
34.gif

People are paying it too...it's insane. They're flying off showroom floors and supply isn't even coming close to demand. Yes, they look fantastic and everything's all new (including the engine..finally) ..but still. I called around for quotes and the lowest I got was $4300..and that was for an undetermined wait time for mine to arrive. Don't even THINK about wanting a blue one. There was one lime green at the dealer by my house, and for me that'd be a tough sell. Green is not my color. :)

I was happy with the deal on the brand new '07. The dealership owner said it was the first time he'd seen a factory authorized rebate that reduced the price below $3K. Wow.

Thanks! I'm had to get the blue one. Just me! Have almost 500 miles on it now. Definite step up from that 250. Nice looking bikes, just didn't seem to fit. And I have nothing but respect for that thing. Throttle control, throttle control, throttle control. And when in doubt, grab the friggen clutch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back