Honda Rebel or Kawasaki Ninja 250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted earlier about scooters, but decided realistically I need something to ride on interstate since about 20 of my 32 mile commute a day is interstate. I could take an alternate route where the speed limit is 50 or less, but I can buy a motorcycle for a lot less than a scooter that will handle 50 mph easily.

These two have been recommended to me. The Honda sits more upright. The Kawasaki reputedly has more power. Both get excellent mpg (I'm looking to ride cheap). The Honda is about 200 bucks more. The local dealer sells both makes. Whadda you guys think?

The Honda Rebels are pretty nice bikes for being so small. I do not like any of those crotch rocket type bikes as they are very uncomfortable IMHO. I'd rather be sitting upright. I don't think you could go wrong with the Rebel.

Have you looked at the Yamaha TW200. It is one of those dual purpose bikes. Looks half dirt bike/half street bike. it is 3699 new. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/10/0/home.aspx

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
I do not like any of those crotch rocket type bikes as they are very uncomfortable IMHO. I'd rather be sitting upright.

X2. I bought a quad 3 yrs ago and the seating position was terrible. I should have kept my old one that I really liked instead of buying one that had me bent over all the time.

The ninja 250 was just re-designed this year, with a lot of attention payed to improving riding comfort. It looks crotch-rocket like, but actually has an upright riding position, closer to what used to be called a "standard" riding position. It also has a 6th gear, which might make highway travel a little nicer. Realistically, though, there is no buzzier way to travel America's highways than one of these two bikes.

I would totally reccomend the ninja, as both bikes have great reliability histories, but the ninja has more of a full size feel. Here's a great article about the redesign.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=5920

I would head down to a yamaha dealer and look at a virago 250. At least the yamaha and kawasaki bikes are twins, the honda is a single and it sounds like an old utility atv.

Well! Now I am not sure which, but good info.....

Here's a 2007 Rebel, less that 1,000 miles, mint and for $2650.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/660670940.html

Is that a good deal...???????
12.gif

can you test ride both?

-A girl I work with has a rebel 250, i rode it around the parking lot at work. The seating postion is more upright than my Ninja zx9r, would probably be more comfortable if going on a longer trip.

-How much do you weigh? How tall?

I would think that the ninja 250 would probably be better if mostly on the highway as it has some sort of fairings and a windscreen, while the rebel doesnt. She rides hers across the jamestown and newport bridges and says the lack of a windscreen does make a difference, even if just on the highway.

-Me? I am a sportbike or sport touring type guy, I would go with the the Ninja, but if I was given a rebel I would definitely use it for a commuter bike whenever possible.
-Riding sensibly you should be able to get from 50-70mpg on these things.

I am 6', 185, mid 40's. It would be just for getting around cheaply, or I'd get a Harley, etc.

Thinking about the smallest outflow of money for the highest mileage. It would also be used on the freeway that others drive 75 mph...

Thoughts?? Maybe too small or not??
21.gif

I'd go with the Ninja. I've ridden the Ninja 250 before, and it's got plenty of get-up for a little bike. I've never like the looks of the Rebel.

Problem with Ninja 250 is its low torque in low rpm.
Meaning you have to keep the engine quite buzzy all the time in order to have a decent pick up in town. Just beaware of that. I had one and got rid of it in months. Sports bikes have to be in 600CC range IMO. With crusers's that is not the case but may not have the overall power you need. Style vs functionality. Either of these bikes are fine but pick knowing what you are getting.

Just picked up a leftover 2007 Ninja 250 last night. Sold my 1994 due to constant problems. I love this bike so much. Sport bike looks and handling with an upright riding position and stellar MPG. The Ninja 500 sits you upright too, but when you go higher cc than that, they start being a 'laydown' kinda bike, which I couldn't do. I sat on a ZX-14 for S&G and there's just NO WAY. I'm sure it's fun..until your arms and wrists start to ache.

I rode a Honda Rebel in my motorcycle training class and didn't care for it. It was light, nimble and had a very low center of gravity, bit I don't like riding with my legs stretched out in front of me, cruiser-style. It also had NO power compared with the Ninja. They're two very different bikes, really. It depends on what YOU'RE comfortable on.

my ninja zx9r is somewhat of an upright position, i have a corbin seat i put on it, so I can go about 3 hours before my wrist/ back starts to ache, but you should take breaks every couple of hours anyway. A double bubble windscreen does make a difference in how much air you get blasted with.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I am 6', 185, mid 40's. It would be just for getting around cheaply, or I'd get a Harley, etc.

Thinking about the smallest outflow of money for the highest mileage. It would also be used on the freeway that others drive 75 mph...

Thoughts?? Maybe too small or not??
21.gif

if just gonna be using as a commuter I would say it would be enough, maybe go up to a 500cc if wanted, but insurance would be a tad higher and the mileage would go down slightly, but still better than most cars.

6'1", 220lbs 34yo, my nine fits me good.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The Honda Rebel is a twin.

Thats odd. I was looking at them last summer and I could have sworn it was a single. Must have been another bike. I am certain the rebel sounded awful though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back