2019 Honda Rebel 300 knocking...

In the videos, the engine noise sounds like possible loose valve clearance. Only way to know for sure would be to check the valve lash clearances per the service manual.

That would be my guess too. Who knows what that extra O-ring was doing. He's lucky it didn't get pushed down inside the oiling system, which wouldn't be good.
Yes he is! Too bad he didn't examine the parts more closely upon removal an redid in same manner etc.. but everyone isnt mechanically inclined as you or me.

In the videos, the engine noise sounds like possible loose valve clearance. Only way to know for sure would be to check the valve lash clearances per the service manual.
YES! Adjust the valves asap. Not usual to go out of wack so early but It's possible! Have 2 newer Yamaha sport quads that seem to stay in spec no matter what.. so far. I use "full synthetic" Maxima Pro Plus 10w40 exclusively! My sons 06 Suzuki RM85 2-stroke is whole other discussion! Great bike overall tho. Was always fond of Yamaha & Suzuki 2-stroke dirtbikes. Tho totally different maintenance protocol.

Good job on fixing this. Tell the kid to bring the bike to you next time it needs maintenance so you can show him how to do it properly.
Although kudos to the kid for trying to DIY and at least he realized something wasn't right.

Sounded to me like it was from the valves. Don't know if this engine is bucket and shim or just tappets, but it seems the oil was not getting there for some reason due to the oil filter being installed incorrectly. I could still hear a bit of that tapping sound in the second video.

As far as working on motorcycles, they are no different than cars, still need spark, air, timing, same oil filter types, same valve actuation types and adjustments, etc.
And just because someone owns a motorcycle doesn't mean they know how to work on them, same as car owners.

View attachment 65496

Pinkish red on a plug is a new color to me, but it runs about the same
Doe it have a carb with a manual choke? Looks like its been choked too long after start. Does he shut the petcock off when parked? Vacuum pull off petcock? Gas in oil?
Also tell him NO OCTANE BOOSTER.

I have had terrible engine noise on cars after an OC and it has always been the filter.
Why ? Been trying to figure that out for decades.

He should be good to ride since the noise went away with a new OC and filter.

- Ken

There sure are a LOT of bike owners who own but don’t ride. I have a friend who has owned 3 expensive Harleys over the past 15 years. All sold by him eventually with less than 500 miles on the clock. He just sold one he had for 6 years with 214 miles on it.

Back