Honda Oil Life - how works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Personally, I changed it every 5K on my CR-V, regardless of the OLM. I just used the OLM to see what other services were called out and reset it at 15% when it turned the light on.

This is what I do as well.

In terms of optimistic Honda OLMs, I think the VCM V-6s are a great example. I feel positive that if the OLM limited those engines to 5k miles (or thereabouts) on an oil change, instead of the 9-10k miles they commonly allowed, you wouldn't have seen the prolific sludge issue.

The problem with OLMs is you don't know if they're wrong until...well...you know that they're wrong, if you get what I'm saying. GM decided after the fact that some of its OLMs weren't calibrated appropriately, and reduced the OCI by half in some cases. That was after a goodly number of engines were down for timing chain issues. Were these ultimately the fault of the OCI? Who knows. That's what GM pinned the issue on...

After we bought our Fit, the OLM wasn't getting to 15% until after 10k miles. I was suspicious but figured Honda knew what they were doing. Now I'm not entirely sure to trust it or not. With the help of UOAs I've bumped my OCI up to 9k on the Fit and the reports look good. The OLM still reads 30% or more when I do change the oil. Not sure exactly how much faith I want to put in it. Probably will increase my OCIs 1k at a time until I find out how far is too far.

Last edited:
Just checked my records:

First oil change (done at dealership): 10500 mi
Second oil change (done at dealership): 21300 mi

In the first case, I was told in very serious terms to leave the FF oil in for the whole OCI (i.e. when the MM was down to 15%). Not sure if the salesman knew what he was talking about but I did it nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
My neighbor is a certified Honda mechanic and he recommends 5K OCI on synthetic and 3K OCI on dino oil.

I would be suspicious of any further advice from wonder mechanic.

3K mile changes in my last 3 Honda products would be draining practically new, nice clean amber colored oil.

Maybe if the 3K miles were 100% highway, but any oil in an R18 Civic will turn dark brown after 1-2K of mixed driving. I've seen it myself a dozen times.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
My neighbor is a certified Honda mechanic and he recommends 5K OCI on synthetic and 3K OCI on dino oil.

3K mile changes in my last 3 Honda products would be draining practically new, nice clean amber colored oil.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Maybe if the 3K miles were 100% highway, but any oil in an R18 Civic will turn dark brown after 1-2K of mixed driving. I've seen it myself a dozen times.

Color alone means nothing.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Just checked my records:

First oil change (done at dealership): 10500 mi
Second oil change (done at dealership): 21300 mi

In the first case, I was told in very serious terms to leave the FF oil in for the whole OCI (i.e. when the MM was down to 15%). Not sure if the salesman knew what he was talking about but I did it nonetheless.

salesman is quoting the owner's manual, so he at knoweable in that he's quoting the company line and not quoting his "neighbor" or his "dad" or some guy he knows.

The OLM in my 2012 Civic has wanted me to go out to 12-13k in warmer temps, around 9-10k if it encompasses the winter months. I generally stick with 10k.

My 3.5V6 Honda engine has been asking for about 8K per OLM (@15%) even though it has been strictly highway commuter. My round trip is 60 miles and about 52 miles of that is freeway. I thought the OLM would give even more miles under that condition but apparently not.

In the two years, I have had 3 oil changes and the miles are at 25K now.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: HKPolice

sasilverbullet said:

Color alone means nothing.

Plus......have you ever seen the oil from a Diesel? You would be changing it all the time if you believe color means something.

I recently posted on here about the Honda OLM's. Our new CRV is at 5K and showing 50% oil life.....sounds about par for the course reading what others are saying. I guess it's the old school and 3K'er in me.....just doesn't feel right. But, dealership gurantees the engine for life and gives free oil changes if I stick with the OLM and let them change it out. I'm in the process of doing that, but still, my spidey senses are tingling.

OP here - wow, gone are the days where something was simple to determine...
frown.gif
I guess if we could see the algorithm that's actually used it might shed some light. I'm not of the inclination to trust everything I'm told by the manufacturer. Some of their decisions are not based on science, or what's best for the owner.

That said, here's what I'm considering...
1) Do a UOA and if not okay, change the oil
2) Change the oil using Honda Synthetic and do a UOA
3) Change the oil using Honda Synthetic

Still haven't made up my mind, but thanks for all the inputs!
smile.gif

I would tend to agree with you in general, but with Honda, I think they've done some research to back up their claims. I really think this dealership wouldn't be offering that guarantee if they felt what Honda is saying didn't hold merit. This is a huge Honda dealer in Oklahoma City and they sell a lot of vehicles. With that knowledge, they could potentially lose a lot of money replacing engines that failed from oil abuse. I've always trusted Honda and they have never failed me EXCEPT for that dreaded failed AT on the 02 Accord, but Honda made good on that even though it was way out of warranty. Believe me, it's hard for me to sit and watch the miles roll up and the OLM saying "A-OK." But on the other hand, I got a dealership that backs up their guarantee in writing and replaces oil/filter for free that gives me a piece of mind. I'm also pretty happy in regards to the money I'm saving by not paying for oil and filter myself. Plus, I ain't getting any younger and having one less vehicle to change out the oil in appeals to me as well.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I bought my 2010 Accord with 34k miles. The first OC was done at 9k, than at 18k, then at 28k, and then at 34k at the dealership. I'm sure it was all done with dino oil. Kinda makes me sick.

Oh, no, that engine must run like it's on its last leg!

57.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Car runs great.

Oh...
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back