Honda Oil Filter Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the current Honda filter is made by Fram, using Honda specs. My question is, does the current Honda filter have cardboard/paper endcaps?

I've tried to search but it's like trying to look for a needle in a haystack. So I'm apologizing in advance if it has been posted.

I think it does... Did you see the video that one guy posted showing the endcaps?

Best way to find out for sure is to buy one and cut it open.

I would rather use an EAO filter from Amsoil and just change it less often. Built like a tank and can take many many miles of filtering!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think it does... Did you see the video that one guy posted showing the endcaps?

Yeah I did, and that's what sparked my posting this question. Didn't exactly consider "Mr. Ef Bomb -20F" to be the final authority, and I didn't know how old the video was.

Reason I ask is I have an 07 Accord under warantee and I've been letting the dealer do the change, for about $20.00. I might just ask to have the filter and bring it home to cut open. As I said over on the other thread, the dealer display cutout doesn't look like that cheap thing.

If that is the case, @$5.50+ a pop, I won't be buying any to do a change, under warantee or otherwise. I did Google it and the other site showed paper for one made in Canada but not in Japan or US. That said, it was last updated in 01. Just curious if anyone had anything definitive.

Hard to believe Honda would recommend a filter change every other time, with 7500 OCI, using the filter on the "This guy cracks me up" thread. I know Honda engines are tough, but still.....

I hear you... Buy an Amsoil EAO filter and change it every other change with confidence... These filters are bullet proof, have excellent flow and very good 15 micron filtration. It really can't be beat, and if you run it 2x as long the price is very reasonable compared to a dealer filter... Ask Pablo or Gary_Allen

They do have cardboard end caps, thats why I use Napa Gold now on my Civic $5.99, with the bad economy I'm switching to Napa pro select for $2.99, you cant beat the quality for the price.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I know that the current Honda filter is made by Fram, using Honda specs. My question is, does the current Honda filter have cardboard/paper endcaps?

I've tried to search but it's like trying to look for a needle in a haystack. So I'm apologizing in advance if it has been posted.

Yes. Anything that says Honewell or Filtech has the cardboard end caps, as I recall. Having said that, I've used them for a REALLY long time before I ever knew, and never had a single issue.

BUT, there are much better filters on the market that meet or beat OEM Honda prices.

Filtech has no connection with Fram.
Filtech makes filters for Honda too, the OEM Honda filters are generally Filtech; Filtech is the American branch of Toyo Riko(SP).

There's typically nothing wrong with Fram filters either. They just cost too much.

I'm sure Honda is quite confident in Fram's ability to work on their engines over the specified length of service to the specified level of service.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
There's typically nothing wrong with Fram filters either. They just cost too much.

Good point. If I can get something better quality for the same or less $$$, or even a little more, that would be my preference.

I have to say, after watching the two Youtube's in the other thread by the Fargo Fast and Furious Oil Filter Guy, the Honda filter does look similar to the Fram Tough Guard. Media could be different. I've used the TG before but not at a Honda price.

No, Fram has lied to us. Once they were a fine old, trusted, American company. Today they are foisting substandard products off on us at a brand name price. I will never forgive them. Lying is a big deal to me.

I would seriously doubt that Honda would risk its reputation if it didn't KNOW that the filters that they are using are just fine for their vehicles.

I didn't really intend for this to be a Fram bashing thread. It was more about being an educated consumer. As I said, when I looked at the dealer display cutout it didn't look like the one in the video.

If I'm going to pay a Honda premium price, I'd like to get something closer to what I consider premium, like a Pure One. I'm not saying the Honda filter can't get the job done. Just, when I start buying/using filters for my Honda, I'll have no problem looking for a filter other than a Honda brand.

Obviously, I don't have too much of an issue because I have a dealer installed Honda filter on there now, and that's all that has been on the vehicle. And, Ive used Fram TG on my vehicles before. It's just a matter of knowing what I'm getting for my money.

For my information, I will cut one open after the next change just to take a look. I don't expect to drop any ef bombs after doing so though.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
I would seriously doubt that Honda would risk its reputation if it didn't KNOW that the filters that they are using are just fine for their vehicles.

I agree with the above... Plus our 1994 Caravan has gone 300,000KM (180,000 Miles) on the cheapest oil you can find, and the cheapest FRAM filters available... It doesn't burn oil and passes all of it's emission tests... That should say it all right there!
wink.gif

On a 2004 Civic with app 80,000 miles, I have been running the cheapest oil filters ( 3 ea total, oem, came with the vehicle Fram, WalMart SuperTech) @ the oem recommendation interval of 20,000 miles. Ever since the oem fill OCI @ 10,000 miles, I have been running Mobil One 0w20 then 5w20. It will be due its 4th filter @ 80,000 miles and I have the 2nd SuperTech and 3.4 qts of Mobil One 0w20 at the ready.

This thing runs like the proverbial top! In a daily commute of 27 miles each way it gets between 38-42 mpg.

Any questions fire away !! My goal for this vehicle are 4 TB/WP changes or 450,000 miles. I suspect I will have transmission repairs due before any engine oil and/or filter issues.

Last edited:
Older Honda filters (A1 ?) are made by Filtech (same filter as Beck/Arnley Oil Filter - still sold at A.A.P.).
Newer Honda oil filters (A2 ?) are made by some other company (Fram?), with cardboard ends.

and +1 on this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back