Honda Oil Filter Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
$20 is a fine price for an oil/filter change, fluid top-offs, and a quick look underneath by a Honda tech. If the 15400-PLM-A02 turns you off, you have a lot of quality third-party alternatives you can bring to the dealer with you:

Amsoil EAO13
Mobil M1-110
K&N HP-1010
HAMP H1540-PFB-505 or H1540-PFB-515
PureONE PL14610
Hastings LF240
Wix 51356
Baldwin B1402

I wouldn't have any misgivings using these filters for a 2 OCI interval on your car. If changing every OCI, I'd sleep well using a Purolator L14610, SuperTech ST7317, Bosch 3323, etc.

Ruking,

I also do 20K mile filter changes for both our Hondas, but do 7K , 7K and 6K OCI's.
ZERO need to change the oil filter at every oil change.

Depending on your Honda dealer. You can find both the A01 (Filtec) or A02 (Fram) filter. I was at my local honda last week, when I saw they had A01 filter in the display case. I asked the parts guy about the current filter, and he told me the last order they got were A01. So i guess the Filtec filters are still being made.

I'm using Union Sangyo filters on our Hondas, so far so good.

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

Doesn't Honda recommend changing the oil filter every other oil change?
If so,that's with a Fram built filter.

We have been using the same brand filters from a Nippon box on a Nissan Maxima, seem very well built, and low priced. I think these used to be OEM on Nissan and a couple other cos. But there is no pubished data on them I have found. One thing I noticed when looking into the center tube with a magnifier is the holes weren't that well cut on the ones I had, saw some bur/pushed out edges.Maybe it means nothing. Personally, with the economy in the toilet, I am going back to USA made, like the PureOne is about as fine a filter as it gets for the price.

Toyota used to recommend 10K oil changes, they stopped doing that. I know about the sludge claims which I don't buy. I know how people abuse Toyotas and expect nothing will happen (like going 90K without changing the oil, have seen that actually.) I wouldn't listen to advice on changing a filter every other time either, even if from the manufacturer. I would spend the $4-7 and skip a coffee. It makes some sense if the filter isn't clogged and no oil change is a complete switch of oil anyway, to extend the filter change, and ignore the extra oil mixing. It depends on how much of a perfectionist one is IMO.

To answer the OP, yes, the Honeywell-made Honda filters have cardboard endcaps.

hondahoneywell.JPG

This filter came off of our former 06 MDX, ~7500 mile OCI with PP btw.

Originally Posted By: labman
No, Fram has lied to us. Once they were a fine old, trusted, American company. Today they are foisting substandard products off on us at a brand name price. I will never forgive them. Lying is a big deal to me.

They have never changed their filter. Its just as bad today as it once was the best you could buy then.

It's always fun to gang up on someone. Makes us all feel superior in our decision making.

To me, it makes people look like the fools they really are.

I used to use Honda filters in my old Accord. Dealer was 40 mi away, but great people, so I enjoyed the visit.

Time got tighter, and I used Purolator PureOnes instead and it was the oil filter brand that was as good, if not better, in cold starts as the Honda.

Quote:
They have never changed their filter. Its just as bad today as it once was the best you could buy then.

Well, what you're really saying is that they've always been marketed as the best..and have never been. I imagine in some cases, they were the only.

They do their job for the most part. While I can be assured that the nitrile ADBV will fail in about 3k miles ...so do most others in my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back