Honda MM question.

If I remember correctly, the Crown Vic Police Interceptor owners manual stated every hour of idle time was equivalent to 33 miles.

I believe it was 31 mi but I could be wrong. But the issue we have discussed is that 31 mi of steady 55 mph cruising (I believe Ford did the research prior to the 65 mph limit but again could be wrong) or Heavy City Traffic or Pursuit Use?

Idling is no different than putting miles on the car when it comes to oil degradation and wear and tear so the maintenance minder is not really being "aggressive". You figure, if you idle your car for 2 hours a day, that is equivalent to driving at least 60 miles or maybe more. So stick to the MM and I would probably go to 0%. That engine is not hard on oil.

Problem is his oil analysis disagreed with that. Pretty strong TBN for the equivalent of 15,000 - 20,000 mi.

Problem is his oil analysis disagreed with that. Pretty strong TBN for the equivalent of 15,000 - 20,000 mi.
True. MM on vehicles are not 100% accurate and does not tell you the actual status of the oil. Most are real conservative when it comes time to change the oil and simplify things for those who do not want to overthink things. My Honda Accord UOA shows a lot of life left in the oil when it hits 0% and it's usually at 10k. Just wanted to point out idling does cause wear and tear on both the engine and oil and that's why the MM is showing low percentage with low miles driven.

If I remember correctly, the Crown Vic Police Interceptor owners manual stated every hour of idle time was equivalent to 33 miles.
It's possible. I've read some fleet vehicles go with 1hr = 60 miles. I don't think there is really a standard calculation out there or at least that I know of. I feel idling causes unnecessary wear and tear and I avoid idling for long period of times. Like warming up an engine for 10-15 minutes in the winter before driving.

Honda Service Advisor here, also an owner of a 2016 Civic LX with the 2.0 non-turbo 4cyl. This engine is a direct injection design. To my knowledge Honda does not currently offer any vehicles without direct injection.

I’m not a fan of the Maintenance Minder. It was designed so Honda has “low cost of ownership” scores in the eyes of the auto industry. I tell my customers what I do with both of my Hondas- change the oil every 5,000 miles. I don’t understand why people are looking for reasons NOT to maintain their vehicles. “Do I have to change the oil when the light is on?” For goodness sakes just change the oil!

Sorry to get a little unhinged there. With high compression direct injected turbocharged engines being found in so many Civics, Accords and CR-Vs I wish people just used common sense.

In sum it sounds like you fall under severe service. If the MM helps you know when to change it then use it.

I’m in MO, terrible winters and terrible summers. I think I’ll stretch my MM to 0% and see what the miles are at the point. I usually let the MM tell me it’s time (15%) and then reset that and do it again. Gives me 6500 OIC.
winters in Missouri aren't even close to being terrible..unless I guess you're a Miami native and moved there..

I look at every UOA I could find posted on the 3.5 Earth Dreams that was based on the MM and haven't found a single case of the oil being unserviceable. Ive seen a couple on the edge, but none that were condemned. Most had plenty of life left even at around 10K.

Granted this list is only about 18 vehicles deep at this stage, but several vehicle have multiple UOAs submitted.

This evidence would seem to indicate that the MM leans toward a conservative vs thrifty interval.

Being an " evidence" based guy and learning about the OLM and observing 3rd party UOA's I haven't seen an evidence based case they got it wrong at least with this particular engine.

Honda also " gasp" recommends one keeps what this board would consider a fairly cheap filter in for up to a max of 20K and 2 OCI's.

I haven't yet seen a c&P of a failed AO series filter.

UD

Honda Service Advisor here, also an owner of a 2016 Civic LX with the 2.0 non-turbo 4cyl. This engine is a direct injection design. To my knowledge Honda does not currently offer any vehicles without direct injection.

I’m not a fan of the Maintenance Minder. It was designed so Honda has “low cost of ownership” scores in the eyes of the auto industry. I tell my customers what I do with both of my Hondas- change the oil every 5,000 miles. I don’t understand why people are looking for reasons NOT to maintain their vehicles. “Do I have to change the oil when the light is on?” For goodness sakes just change the oil!

Sorry to get a little unhinged there. With high compression direct injected turbocharged engines being found in so many Civics, Accords and CR-Vs I wish people just used common sense.

In sum it sounds like you fall under severe service. If the MM helps you know when to change it then use it.

Except that, according to Honda, the 2.0 liter engine has port, not direct fuel injection.

winters in Missouri aren't even close to being terrible..unless I guess you're a Miami native and moved there..

I’m from upstate NY, where there is is much more snow than MO. But MO is cold and icy, without the fun snow.

What? Your car and mine are port injected, not direct injected... such a strong response for being a Honda Service advisor and also wrong.

Back