Honda Civic trans shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spoke with a recommended transmission shop, and he said it'd start at $1500, which includes the rebuild kit, new converter, and labor. But may go as high as $2100, depending on if other parts are bad.

I didn't think that sounded to bad. We'll probably have it replaced.

Quote:
On the other, my wife bought it new (wasn't my wife at the time). I just replaced the a/c comp and cond. last summer and it blows cold. I did a timing belt swap at 200k miles. The body has no rust, the interior looks new other then the seats a little faded. The engine runs great, and it get close to 40 mpg

Thats all the reasons to spend the $$$ on rebuilding the Trans and keep it another 150K miles.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
I just spoke with a recommended transmission shop, and he said it'd start at $1500, which includes the rebuild kit, new converter, and labor. But may go as high as $2100, depending on if other parts are bad.

And how long would the rebuild be warranteed for?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would definitely try to find a good transmissions shop and get some quotes first.

It's easy to say just junk it, but unless you are planning to buy new, what used car can you really buy for the price of transmission rebuild that can be trusted? You know this car and its maintenance and I would rather drop 2k into a car I know then buy a 2k used car with unknown history even if it had fewer miles, JMO

Excellent advice.

In our throw-away society I'm glad to see you hang on to it and give it some more life, from the sounds of it you should be able to get plenty out of it.

Clark

It's ironic that honda gets the highest grades for quality. Their AT are junk - not just on the civic, but definitely on the accord too, and possibly the entire line. Then the famous cracked manifold problems, and IMHO have an overly tight sensor system that leads to too many false positives.

My wife's honda has 47K on it. Soon as we get some mileage on it, I'm gonna dump it.

I don't consider that bad at all. I paid $2200 four years ago on a GM 4L60E (which went bad at just over a third of the mileage of yours).

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
It's ironic that honda gets the highest grades for quality. Their AT are junk - not just on the civic, but definitely on the accord too, and possibly the entire line. Then the famous cracked manifold problems, and IMHO have an overly tight sensor system that leads to too many false positives.

My wife's honda has 47K on it. Soon as we get some mileage on it, I'm gonna dump it.

This why you can't believe Consumer Reports and the auto media. They've been saying Honda and Toyota etc are the best all along and downplaying their issues and playing up domestic's issues. Unless you have the actual service and warranty records, then you have nothing but misinformation.

agree with mechanicx. I also forgot to mention the imfamous problem with the emissions throwing codes that will set you back $1k at the dealer to fix, the catalytic converter going bad, the $300 fuel mixture sensor, the wimpy timing belt that needs to be changed way too frequently, and the endless stream of bogus codes that get thrown. They have a friggin sensor on just about every part you can think of. Way over-engineered. My .02.

Yup, them Hondas and Toyotas are junk. I don't know why the biased media would give them such high ratings. All of those Fords and GMs over the last 30 years have given their owners years of trouble free miles with no engine or transmission issues at all. It is impossible to find any used because their owners love them so much and the resale values are out of this world.

Nice strawman. I never said Toyota and Honda are junk nor that domestics were perfect. You just created another extreme when the truth is somewhere in the middle like usual. What I said is that the auto media paints imports as being much better than they are and domestics as being worse than they actually are. If you switched the makes around in your post, you would pretty much describe the impression most of the auto media creates.

I could probably do the removal and install myself, as my brother has a shop with a lift.

Then get a reman transmission from one of the links I posted in my first post.

The remans are rebuilt in a facility that specializes in Honda automatics. It will be a better rebuild than anything from Joe Corner garage.

The warranty will also be far superior.

Where did I hear about gator transmission rebuilt place in IL ? Was it from another forum? But do google them.

- Vikas

IMO, people put way too much stock in a car's mileage... I put more stock in not having a car payment or forking over XX thousands of dollars out of pocket for another. The wife's Grand Am has 237K on it and I'm getting ready to drop in a freshened up engine and maybe a transmission too. It's in excellent shape and has lots of life left in it. Why do we (she) need to by another? Because of mileage? I think not.

EDIT: I should clarify that I scored a good deal on an identical car, so I yanked the engine and trans and will be doing most all the work myself. That's why we're doing it and how I can afford it.

If the car is in as good of shape as you say, I'd say reinvest in it.

Last edited:
a great point made above^^^

I have neighbors who traded recently and added a payment to their driveway. Their reasoning was better mileage.

Most car payments will buy a lot of fuel!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
a great point made above^^^

I have neighbors who traded recently and added a payment to their driveway. Their reasoning was better mileage.

Most car payments will buy a lot of fuel!

I really meant high mileage and not fuel economy, but that too is a good point. How much is another couple of mpg's worth? Heck, the way most people drive, a simple alteration of their driving habits could easily offset the increase in mileage you may see with a new car.

Well I let it sit for about 3 months, and took it to the shop ealier this week.

Total rebuild. Converter came apart and put junk in the trans. All wear components were well, worn.. haha.

Total cost $2250 .

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
>200k on an 01 Honda Civic, with a bad transmission... its time to sit down and ask yourself if its worth it, IMO. Unless it has sentimental value, I see no reason to spend a penny on it. Buying a used one of the same year/model with lower mileage would be more cost-effective, although given the rep of Honda automatics I'd make it a stick shift if I were you.

+1 There comes a time when you have to do a cost analysis and see if it is worth it. It is very easy for us to spend someone else's $$$ and tell them rebuild it, replace it, etc. Only the OP knows the overall condition and value of the car. Based on that he should make a choice.

When I posted about my oil pan seeping from rot I was told to replace it. (I appreciate all comments and feedback). The truth IMO is my vehicle is not worth close to $600 for an oil pan R&R, so I patched it. It might be time for the OP to say good bye to the Civic. JMO

Good Luck and I hope you get another 215K out of your Civic.

As an owner of a 2001 Accord with the problematic BAXA A/T, I am always mindful when this topic arises.

I found this quote from H&A interesting:

H&A Transmissions has increased sales 500% since 1999, with experience and quality, not quantity, being the emphasis. We have recently expanded our facilities, adding an additional 30,000 square feet.

1999 was around the time that Honda began making it's A/T's differently, hence the rise in rebuilds.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Good Luck and I hope you get another 215K out of your Civic.

As an owner of a 2001 Accord with the problematic BAXA A/T, I am always mindful when this topic arises.

I found this quote from H&A interesting:

H&A Transmissions has increased sales 500% since 1999, with experience and quality, not quantity, being the emphasis. We have recently expanded our facilities, adding an additional 30,000 square feet.

1999 was around the time that Honda began making it's A/T's differently, hence the rise in rebuilds.

Come on, Honda began making them in 1999. They did not start breaking down in 1999! That took some mileage (and some years)

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back