Honda Civic trans shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you get a lot more use out of this car, b/c you just spent WAAAYYY more than it is worth on the tranny replacement.

You let the car sit for three months, so the car obviously wasn't important to you - why not just get rid of it, and get something else down the road? Heck, in three months you could have saved up enough to buy a another car that was worth more than this Civic.

Not a wise move in the slightest! But hey, America is full of those right now!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I hope you get a lot more use out of this car, b/c you just spent WAAAYYY more than it is worth on the tranny replacement.

You let the car sit for three months, so the car obviously wasn't important to you - why not just get rid of it, and get something else down the road? Heck, in three months you could have saved up enough to buy a another car that was worth more than this Civic.

Not a wise move in the slightest! But hey, America is full of those right now!

I don't see the problem. For $2250 he has a car that will easily last another 75k and he KNOWS its condition and maintenance history. For around the same amount of money, there is no way that he can purchase a car in the same condition.

ya that's a lot of money. Those transmissions are dime a dozen around here (obviously used or imported from Japan)

Your better of risking it with a used one then rebuilding for that price especially since this car isn't important in your day to day operations.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: pbm
Good Luck and I hope you get another 215K out of your Civic.

As an owner of a 2001 Accord with the problematic BAXA A/T, I am always mindful when this topic arises.

I found this quote from H&A interesting:

H&A Transmissions has increased sales 500% since 1999, with experience and quality, not quantity, being the emphasis. We have recently expanded our facilities, adding an additional 30,000 square feet.

1999 was around the time that Honda began making it's A/T's differently, hence the rise in rebuilds.

Come on, Honda began making them in 1999. They did not start breaking down in 1999! That took some mileage (and some years)

- Vikas

I can't speak for the Civic but the 6th generation Accord (1998-2002) is where the Accord A/T went downhill. Many of these had blown transmissions by 30K, so it makes sense that by 1999 the rebuild volume had risen. Go to carcomplaints.com and see how poor the Honda A/T design has become. The early Hondas had great, albeit a bit abrupt shifting, A/T's. I have read that when Honda tried to make the shifting more seamless, the trouble began.

You're probably absolutely sensible in your decision.

My mind just 'blocks' at the though of spending more on one repair than the entire car is worth.

sometimes, you have to do it - it just 'sounds' wrong to me.

Also, up here, a 10 year/215k car, if not 'done' is so close to it, it makes even LESS sense - maybe not where you are!

You must be out east! Here, that car is worth about $3000, and possibly more to its owner if it has been kept in good shape. I agree that it probably wouldn't be worth much in a rusty climate.

An 01 Civic should worth about 3k around here with that mileage. If the condition is good there should be no reason not to replace the tranny. My understanding is Honda's tranny problem is mainly in the mid size accord and not the civic.

Since it is a 9 year old car with 215k miles, finding a junk yard low mile tranny would be a better choice than a reman that cost 2k-3k. Who knows, there could be something that happen in the next 60k that makes a reman a waste of money, and a low mile accident totaled tranny should serve you well for a few more years, and by then it is really not worth fixing (assuming that it will be at around 300k, beyond the design life of the car as interior rubber and plastic parts start failing)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JakeR22
Well I let it sit for about 3 months, and took it to the shop ealier this week.

Total rebuild. Converter came apart and put junk in the trans. All wear components were well, worn.. haha.

Total cost $2250 .

Smart move. You can get another 5-6 years out of that car with zero car payments. Plus its been taken care of so any other repair will be minor compared to the trans.

Quote:
I don't see the problem. For $2250 he has a car that will easily last another 75k and he KNOWS its condition and maintenance history.....
And the repair is only as good as the tech doing the job. These things are not always black and white, either, or. Even with a great tech there's no guarantee how long the tranny rebuild will last either. So there's more to it than just fixing the trans. But, these big picture decisions/choices come with experience in such matters.

I wish the OP luck with his tranny repair and that the cost will be justfied with many miles of future use. As I maintain a similar vehicle with less miles, now daughters car, I hope I am not faced with this decision in the near future. Knock wood.

AT are about the ONLY problem Honda has had recently, and believe me, coporate HQ knows about it. My 02 Accord's AT ate the dust at 137K. Honda's goodwill program had me pay only 500 bucks and they took care of the rest. Car ran flawlessly right until we sold it. If that engine is not burning oil and not throwing codes left and right, then by all means, motor on!! You can go another 100K trouble free miles. Getting over 200K on a factory AT is absolutely great. You got your monies worth and then some. Looks like your averaging over 20K miles a year, about the same as us. One thing an elder mechanic taught me, either your making payments and interest on a car, or your putting money in it with no interest....it's a car, nothing comes free. Plus, with the mpg your getting out of it, I would have rebuild it myself as well. Let me put it do you this way when people complain about the mileage. When I traded in my 02 with that many miles on it, the dealer sold it within two days. I was shocked. They said that people that drive Honda's don't even look at the mileage, they know it will go the distance. The guy that bought it bought it for his son to go to school.

My friend just sold his good condition '96 civic ex auto with 240k for $3,000. It took one day with a for sale sign.

During that 240k he did a couple timing belts, a master cylinder, ignition module, one cv joint and a radiator.

I think you made the right choice. The car has no value w/o a tranny. You can sell it tomorrow and get your money back for the tranny plus.

I'm the OP, and had to changed usernames from my alias name
laugh.gif

Anyways, just giving an update. The trans was rebuilt about a year ago, and the car now has 235k miles.

I drained the trans as soon as I got it home from the rebuild, and a couple of times since. The guy who rebuilt it recommended Z1, so that's what I've been using.

My goal is 300k miles out of it.
smile.gif

A Honda with 200K miles is worth squat here in NE.
Most are rotted out in the junkyard.

Seriously no one around here is going to pay 3000$ for a car with 200K miles. not happening.

Originally Posted By: rpn453

You must be out east! Here, that car is worth about $3000, and possibly more to its owner if it has been kept in good shape. I agree that it probably wouldn't be worth much in a rusty climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back