Honda Civic Hybrid CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hybrid CVT

My mother has a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 30200 miles on it. I have changed the ATF fluid at 15000 and 30000 miles. (Well not change but drain 3 qts, you know the routine)
Last week her car was making a grinding noise EVERY time it went from a stop to moving. We brought it to Honda and they said the CVT needed flushing (the 3x drain and refill) and they did it and covered it under warranty. Noise gone. They say the transmission needs a filter in it and Honda is working on a retrofit.

Has any one else heard of this CVT issue??

That transmission is a big disappointment. My brother is on his third in his GX (CNG). They are not currently rebuildable.

Tell her to get the Hondacare extended warranty if she does not already have it.

Honda of America says they do not believe this warrants issueing a TSB. I would guess they already have one as the dealer knew what to do.

Honda just came out with a CVT tranny fluid, that is suppose to be tailored for CVT's belt and pulley friction property.

In my days back in college, the CVT we uses in hybrid car project are very sensitive to the belt pressure. If it is ever slipped, your pulley is toasted. Make sure you use the right fluid and change it ahead of schedule.

The Prius's planetary gear CVT, on the other hand, is rock solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back