What is this on my exhaust?

I was doing the first oil change on our new Kia Sportage Hybrid (M1 0-30 fuel economy, Fram Ultra @ 3000 miles roughly 61% life left on oil meter), when I saw this. It looks like some sort of heat exchanger that warms something in the engine bay. The tubes run up to the area of the hybrid system in the engine bay, but I can't imagine anything in that system needing to be warmed up. Ideas?

Ps. The drain on the filter housing is a cool idea! Reduces the mess, and oil up the sleeve when dropping the filter.

IMG_1927.jpg
IMG_1928.jpg

Last edited:
Is the ICE directly connected to the drive system or does it simply charge the battery?

These cars are getting uber complicated. That looks like the connection to the warp drive controller. Inspect it but I'd leave it alone.

Is the ICE directly connected to the drive system or does it simply charge the battery?

The ICE does both...

There is a starter/generator and an electric traction motor. The IC engine can directly drive the 6 speed real automatic transmission alone, or while charging, or it can be EV only, or ICE+EV for high power demand situations. It also has regen under braking, and shuts the ICE down all the time. I have been averaging a real 37-38 mpg in mixed driving in sport mode.
Details of the system can be found here.

1715001902746.jpg

It is likely to warm up the coolant for the battery, maybe the engine too, but lithium batteries are terrible when cold, so it would make sense to warm them up as fast as possible using engine heat.

The lines run up to the engine bay. The battery is under the rear seat, just above this heat exchanger...so I doubt it runs to the battery.

The lines run up to the engine bay. The battery is under the rear seat, just above this heat exchanger...so I doubt it runs to the battery.
The battery coolant pump is likely in the engine bay. But I’m speculating since I don’t know these vehicles that well.
But since Kia is not using such a system for their ICE models, it stands to reason it is related to the hybrid system and not the engine. And we know battery thermal management is critical to their efficiency and longevity.

Back