Explorer 2.3 turbo… no turbo noise for you!

This is more of an observation than anything else, and it’s a long read, but… it really bums me out how QUIET the turbo is on our 2016 Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost. Now I’m not expecting to hear full BOV noises and whatnot and I don’t want it to sound like a toy, just a satisfying faint whistle when under boost. For example, the same 2.3 in the new Bronco makes such a noise. I’ve driven and heard it for myself. The same is true of the 2.7 turbos in the newer GM trucks. Not much, but it’s there, and it’s satisfying. Even the first gen 4-cylinder EcoBoosts made more noise. I’m sure that the OEMs want to tune this noise out because the NPCs that drive them wouldn’t know what it is. But, I have found that it is nearly impossible to get more turbo noise in this vehicle, even if you wanted to. Here’s what I did:

K&N makes a kit for this car. It’s expensive, and I’m not paying $400 for a filter and some tubing. So for under $100 I decided to experiment… I bought some pre-bent alu 3” tubing, a nice pod filter, some clamps, a silicone flex joint, and a grommet for the IAT sensor. I fabbed the kit up in a couple hours, and I have to say I’m pretty proud of it. The filter even sat in the bottom of the old filter housing which has a fresh air scoop, but the top of the filter was exposed to the engine bay. This removed the flexible rubber intake hose, so that now the entire intake was either hard plastic or aluminum. And the filter was exposed. I swear to you, it barely made a difference in noise. The best noise it made was what sounded like normal NA induction noise when it was under load. No whistle or anything. One section of the intake I could not modify is a large box between the turbo and the section I replaced which must have some sort of silencer in it. But still, I’d expect more noise than this.

Sadly, experiment over, I removed my science project and put the factory intake back on. Not entirely a waste of time though. One of the factory intake crimp clamps was rubbing against a hose of some kind under the hood 🙄 fixed that, and back to reality. To be honest, I have to imagine that the K&N intake sounds the same, and it be upset if I spent that much money for barely any sound change and a warm air intake.

Honda's also sound pretty quiet when they come with the turbo's. The reason is inside the intake (where the filter is) there is a little 1" diameter hole that leads to nowhere, some weird plastic tube...turns out its the intake resonator pipe that is designed to reduce the "waste gate and re circulation" sounds. I closed it off, got a k&n drop in filter, and all the noises are back, just not super loud. There is also this corrugated, accordion style inlet pipe, which I removed in favor of a straight smooth pipe. This made the sound echo a bit more.

I didn't splurge on the intake's because for 350$ they do infact increase the sound, but then its VERY loud. Like...TOO loud.

YMMV

penup_20230831_165853.jpg

Get rid of the intake muffler, and if it has 2 mufflers (or a muffler and a resonator) you could get rid of one of them and get some exhaust noise.

I love the song of a turbo but only for the first hour, after that the constant whistle gets annoying if it's loud.

This is more of an observation than anything else, and it’s a long read, but… it really bums me out how QUIET the turbo is on our 2016 Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost. Now I’m not expecting to hear full BOV noises and whatnot and I don’t want it to sound like a toy, just a satisfying faint whistle when under boost. For example, the same 2.3 in the new Bronco makes such a noise. I’ve driven and heard it for myself. The same is true of the 2.7 turbos in the newer GM trucks. Not much, but it’s there, and it’s satisfying. Even the first gen 4-cylinder EcoBoosts made more noise. I’m sure that the OEMs want to tune this noise out because the NPCs that drive them wouldn’t know what it is. But, I have found that it is nearly impossible to get more turbo noise in this vehicle, even if you wanted to. Here’s what I did:

K&N makes a kit for this car. It’s expensive, and I’m not paying $400 for a filter and some tubing. So for under $100 I decided to experiment… I bought some pre-bent alu 3” tubing, a nice pod filter, some clamps, a silicone flex joint, and a grommet for the IAT sensor. I fabbed the kit up in a couple hours, and I have to say I’m pretty proud of it. The filter even sat in the bottom of the old filter housing which has a fresh air scoop, but the top of the filter was exposed to the engine bay. This removed the flexible rubber intake hose, so that now the entire intake was either hard plastic or aluminum. And the filter was exposed. I swear to you, it barely made a difference in noise. The best noise it made was what sounded like normal NA induction noise when it was under load. No whistle or anything. One section of the intake I could not modify is a large box between the turbo and the section I replaced which must have some sort of silencer in it. But still, I’d expect more noise than this.

Sadly, experiment over, I removed my science project and put the factory intake back on. Not entirely a waste of time though. One of the factory intake crimp clamps was rubbing against a hose of some kind under the hood 🙄 fixed that, and back to reality. To be honest, I have to imagine that the K&N intake sounds the same, and it be upset if I spent that much money for barely any sound change and a warm air intake.
Can you get an intake that uses a closed box design? I’d go that route along with a computer tune and possibly a throttle body spacer. That’ll open it up.

Funny I hear the blowoff valve in our Q5 but the Cayman S is super quiet. I am disappointed I cant hear the turbo in the Cayman S

When I was 19 I modified my 1972 Beetle, which I bought new, to sound better than it really was. I'm now 69 and enjoy the quietness of our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer 😁.

Back