Honda/Acura oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the mainstream 0W20 and 5W30 oils you'll find on a WM shelf will be SN+ and d1G2, and I think even the 10W30s will be SN+. M1 0W30 AFE is also shown with a d1G2 license #, althought I've never seen a bottle in the wild with that logo. I'd like to see d1G2 and/or SN+ on any oil I was putting in a DI turbo engine, having my present car recalled for LSPI made a distinct impression on me.
If you're an Amsoil fan, a number of grades of SS are advertised as passing the d1G2 LSPI test(s?) but have SA levels that are too high to meet the overall standard.

Maybe Honda has a solid solution for the LSPI mess that doesn't involve using LSPI resistant oil, but I'd still err on the side of caution on that topic.

Last edited:
I know a guy. Both vehicles are made in Marysville, OH. In addition to the manufacturing plant there is also a large Honda Americas R&D facility. Engines are designed to operate using the oil specified in the owners manual and then run on a dynos for extended periods, at WOT to verify reliability. Most manufactures do extensive testing, because it gets very expensive to large scale repairs on things like engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back