Honda Accord ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do a drain and fill on the ATF of my Honda Accord. I had a flush done by Jlube not to long ago with their penzoil stuff, so i was planning on using the Penzoil stuff, the only problem is I don't know what I need. Do I need the Multi Vehicle stuff or Dexron or what? An how much do I need for a drain and fill?

its a 97 LX with the F22b2. I don't have the owners manual or the car to look at right now, and it would just say use the honda stuff anyways.

I'm not sure what year ATF-Z1 became mandatory.

Regardless, Castrol Multivehicle and Pennzoil Multivehicle ATFs are excellent choices. Valvoline Maxlife ATF is also a multivehicle ATF.

Many older Hondas allow the use of DexronII, prior to the introduction of Hondacura OEM Z1 ATF. If yours is old enough, then you can use ANY DexronIII.

1997 calls for Z-1. Go with a good unviersal that's recommended for Z-1, or use Z-1. It's highly unlikely a straight Dexron III will hurt it, but I gotta ask what the shop used the first go around??

The Pennzoil Dexron III/Mercon gallon will work fine if you add Lubegard HFM Supplement (Black bottle) to it. Add a bit more than 1 oz/qt. On your Accord, add 2.5 qt of Pennzoil Dexron III and 3 oz of Lubegard.

I used this mix (SuperTech brand fluid instead) on a CL Type-S and it worked fine.

where can I get the Lubegard at? I went to wally world and Advance Autoparts today and I didn't see any kind of Multivehicle ATF at either of them, they were all dextron ratings or type A type F etc.

Napa Auto Parts.

Dexron and Lubegard is really a "cheap" way of doing it, not necessarily the "correct" or "preferred" way, but it works.

$11.99 for 10 ounces. You save about $3.00/qt compared to the dealer for Z1.

well what would be the correct way. I am not trying to cheap out on this, I am just trying to find a better fluid than the honda stuff

Quote:

well what would be the correct way. I am not trying to cheap out on this, I am just trying to find a better fluid than the honda stuff

Then honestly stop listening to the Critic. Use Honda Z-1 or Amsoil ATF No offense, he is a very sharp fellow, but he's under 18 and in shop class.

Nothing wrong with Lubegard(or other HFM additive) and Dexron. I'm no fan of $1 OEM fluids being sold for $5.

Besides the Amsoil alone, you can use ANY other synthetic ATF with the Lubegard, Run-Rite, Mighty-VS7 or Smartblend fluid converters. This way, you can grab a synthetic ATF like Mobil1, RoyalPurple,.....add the HFM converter, and have a superb fluid.

Quote:

Quote:

Then honestly stop listening to the Critic. Use Honda Z-1 or Amsoil ATF No offense, he is a very sharp fellow, but he's under 18 and in shop class.

I already warned him that it wasn't optimal.
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Quote:

its a 97 LX with the F22b2. I don't have the owners manual or the car to look at right now, and it would just say use the honda stuff anyways.

I got a 94 Accord EX (pretty much the same car). The books recommends DexronII for the ATF. Just did a drain and fill on my transmission fluid. I used Maxlife ATF for the fill. You can find it at Walmart or Checker for $3.79/qt. I drained and filled it. Then, I drove around for a while. Came back and did the same thing. Ended up using 7 qts of ATF. Also, added some Lubegard (Red) to the Maxlife. I could tell the trany was shifting smoother right away and after 3K it's still shifting nice.

Just my 2 cents,
cheers.gif

Im going to switch to Amsoil ATF this summer...just going to slowly work in the new ATF instead of a complete flush. Strapped for cash.

Oops, forgot to add if it is safe to only add Amsoil slowly instead of a complete flush and also without using Lubeguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back