Dexron VI

I have an 03 Sanoma with 4.3, 175K miles I have done a few fluid changes over the last 125K miles and have a drain plug on the transmission pan. I plan to do a drain and refill, maybe twice. Dexron VI is supposed to be backwards compatible even for partial fills, any reason not to use it?

It's a better fluid - go for it!

I've been running Dex VI in my Dex III spec'd transmission for years and I can feel the difference.

Reactions: GON
No reason not to or any "Dex VI" like Maxlife or an other Multi-Vehicle that recommend Dex VI will be just fine.

The transmission in those called for Dexron III IIRC. Well, if you want a higher quality fluid, you could use Delvac 1 TES 295, Delvac 1 TES 668 (even better, hard to find though), or any other TES 668 licensed fluid. Allison was owned by GM at some point, and TES 295 was developed as a higher end Dexron III replacement. Then TES 668 came out a few years ago and is much improved over TES 295, and even Dexron VI. You will appreciate the shift quality. Of course, that's if your budget allows for it. You can find Castrol TES 668 at NAPA, it's $50 or less per gallon. You won't really face issues like shearing with a TES licensed fluid, it will stay in grade and run for a very long time. Is it worth it? Absolutely!

That being said, a high quality licensed Dexron VI ATF like Valvoline DEXRON VI/MERCON LV would also be highly recommended, and serve you well. And it is backwards with compatible with Dexron III, just like the TES 295 and TES 668 fluids. Though, the shifting characteristics of TES 295 fluids are about the same as Dexron III. So no, it won't shift as nice and crisp as Dexron VI or TES 668 fluid.

Lastly, a popular fluid would be Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Also, Valvoline has Extended Protection ATF, which is supposed to be even better:

1710125682420.jpg

You have some very choices, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Back