Honda 2.0T Recommendations

From my personal bias, go Pennzoil UP and buy 5QT jugs, but you don't have to. Find the best name-brand oil at your local Walmart or store where it's hella cheaper than auto parts, i.e. "If you've heard of the name in a good way, it's a good oil." Your owner's manual specifies 0W-20, that's it.

Attachments

• Accord oil.png
    Accord oil.png
    499 KB · Views: 42
@BSchmidt25 If you want to do a bump in viscosity in a very safe way because of the climate you live in then go with Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30: https://www.mobil.com/en-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-1-0w30

It's Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved and recommended for GMs turbo charged engines as well as for Ford EcoBoost engines. That's a pretty safe choice IMHO.

I'm old school and I believe that we need to pick our oils based on the climate we drive in, within reason of course. In the US car companies tend to recommend thinner oils without regard for climate conditions because they want to meet CAFE regulations. In Europe, they don't push so hard yet, but that's changing quickly now. Last night I was playing with Mobil1.de oil recommendation and for a 2019 Honda Accord 2.4 gasoline engine, the recommended oils were 5W-30 and Full Saps 0W-40. Then I entered my wife's Santa Fe 3.3L V6 and the web site recommended 0W-20 and 5W-20. That's because the 3.3L V6 has the fuel efficiency of a pickup truck. xW-20 motor oil won't make it any more fuel-efficient, just kill it faster. Here in the US, the minimum viscosity is 5W-30 for that motor. But eons ago when it was designed, Hyundai actually had 5W-40 in mind for it, along with more sporty applications. I run 0W-40 in it. Anyway, I wanted to illustrate to you that you have a pretty safe array of oils you can use from xW-20 all the way up to xW-40. None of these modern oils will harm your engine in any way.

Looking at Mazda and Toyota (4Runner) owner manuals, I found it hilarious that these two manufacturers tell the owners that they can use other motor oils beside 0W-20. Mazda says that if you're outside the US you can run 5W-30 in the 2.0 and 2.5 GDI Skyactiv engine. Toyota says that you can run motor oils up to 15w-40 if you're in Puerto Rico. Go figure...

This video is dumbing it down and it may seem hilarious to many here, however, look at the fuel efficiency numbers at 6:13 when going down in oil viscosity. Some folks prefer to drive less and more efficiently and use an oil that will give them better wear protection over a 1% improvement in fuel economy. So that's why they're here asking for opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
so, any oil that's modern and of correct grade will work?
will any oil be less likely to have issues with the carbon build up on DI engines?
or stay the course with 5/30 of whatevers on sale?

so, any oil that's modern and of correct grade will work?
will any oil be less likely to have issues with the carbon build up on DI engines?
or stay the course with 5/30 of whatevers on sale?

Do what you think is best for your vehicles so you get the most out of them.

Thanks guys. I'll admit to not being an expert on most of this stuff and come here as a source of knowledge, so I really appreciate the recommendations. I'm aware that a lot of the recommendations in the US are based on meeting CAFE standards, and I was pretty sure that was the case for my car as well. I'm inclined to bump up the viscosity a bit in the summer. It's been over 110 degrees 50 days so far this summer, so no joke. Leaning towards sticking with Mobil1 0W-20 EP most of the year and 5W-30 during summer. How's M1 5W-30 EP? I should have mentioned that I was able to stockpile a bunch of Honda A01 Filtech filters before they became unavailable, so I'm set there for a while. Is the consensus to keep the OCI closer to 5k on this motor?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll admit to not being an expert on most of this stuff and come here as a source of knowledge, so I really appreciate the recommendations. I'm aware that a lot of the recommendations in the US are based on meeting CAFE standards, and I was pretty sure that was the case for my car as well. I'm inclined to bump up the viscosity a bit in the summer. It's been over 110 degrees 50 days so far this summer, so no joke. Leaning towards sticking with Mobil1 0W-20 EP most of the year and 5W-30 during summer. How's M1 5W-30 EP? I should have mentioned that I was able to stockpile a bunch of Honda A01 Filtech filters before they became unavailable, so I'm set there for a while. Is the consensus to keep the OCI closer to 5k on this motor?

Give Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 a chance, you'll love it year-round. You can always drain it if you don't like it 😁

Back