Home made MTF?

Hi,

I can't get my hands on the MTF I need right now. My transmission isn't shifting like it should (hard, notchy) and since I have to change my engine oil and do other maintenance, I thought I'd flush the old MTF and use something temporary to clean the tranny a little, then flush that out and put in some real MTF.

Any ideas for an home made alternative?

My car is a 2008 Volvo C30, with the 2.4i non-turbo engine (Canada), M56H, 5 speed manual transmission.

The recommended MTF is an API GL-4 and is found in the first category of the "Updated List of Dedicated MTF Fluids" found in this forum :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A. These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as a Dexron VI) and SAE 70 or so:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
6. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the following at home :

5w30, 10w30 conventional and synthetic motor oils
15w40 conventional oil
Tractor hydraulic and transmission fluid (API GL-4)
Tufoil engine treatment

Thanks!

Last edited:
NO !

Unless it's a low powered Honda.

Tell us your transmission or do I have to guess?

Is it a Muncie M21 in a '67 Chevelle SS396?

A Ford Toploader in '69 Fairlaine 500 Fastback 428 SCJ ?

A Honda Transaxle in a Civic?

Without knowing. The only the API Gl-4 would be a MT fluid.

Some cars used ATF some used Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Last edited:
O.K.

Do 50/50 10w30 Synthetic and your tractor API GL-4

It may be good for 2 years or 20k Kms

Don't get that TUFOIL ANYWHERE NEAR ANYTHING !

Cool Car the C30

I was always intrigued by those as the last Hot Hatch.

Last edited:
I am exiting the forum. Good luck.

But if your local auto store carries Pennzoil Synchromesh in the Yellow bottle that would do the trick for a lighter fluid.

But warmer weather is coming!

Last edited:
I ran cheap 15w40 in a Jeep AX5. I did eventually break the transmission, but I blame that on the numerous rev limiter clutch drops for about 20 minutes straight.

Yeah, very nice hatchback. Very little choice for HBs in those years. Came down to the C30 and the VW Golf.

Don't worry, it would be for a couple of weeks, tops. Then, I'd flush it out and put in one of the MTFs in the list above.

What's the problem with the Tufoil? Too slippery?

Thanks

Order the Redline MT-LV on eBay
smile.gif

Plenty of easily available GL-4 fluids that would meet your needs don't mess around with something else.

Amsoil, Redline, Ravenol, ect all have what you need and it will be delivered to your door.

I think a few of you didn't get my question right. I'm looking for a temporary alternative because :

1. I can't have the MTF I plan on putting in the day I''ll have time to work on my car. I'll get the best.

2. I'll be working under it for an engine oil change, anyway.

3. I'm fed up with my hard, notchy shifts and want to try a quick fix.

4. I want to rinse the transmission, so to speak, with some cheap but safe oil or mix, not just flush most of the fluid out and put new fluid in.

Thanks

Originally Posted by mlab
Yeah...might be those clutch drops!

Ooh and I forgot the transmission was filled with water when I got the Jeep

Back