Home made inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Experiencing the joy of things rattling around in the back of the Jeep below the floor in the storage bins, I rigged up an insert today for the source of the noise, which was my trailer hitch pin. I plan on making another one for my summer lug nuts, which currently sit in a bag.

I used the foam from a video card box and just cut it down to fit, putting a recess in it for the cotter pin and using an existing slot for the hitch pin. It's not the prettiest thing, but it works.

I'm going to hopefully find one I can cut flat and then drill holes in for the lug nuts. There are four of these bins that are situated around the spare tire under the hatch floor in the back of the GC. Great for chucking a spare litre of oil and the hitch into.

[Linked Image]

That is a nice , low cost tip ! Since this was essentially packing foam, make sure to inspect it after a hot summer day, to make sure the foam stays together.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
That is a nice , low cost tip ! Since this was essentially packing foam, make sure to inspect it after a hot summer day, to make sure the foam stays together.

Will do.

I did something similar in my dad's 2013 GC. He had the wheel lock key and some other stuff back there that sounded like rocks rolling around inside after every turn. Made a huge difference! One of the features I like about the new Jeep Gladiator is it has a storage area for all the bolts for the doors/top which is a great idea.

I use a couple microfiber rags.. since you usually need a rag anyway when changing the spare tire etc.
Doesnt look as nice though.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah ~ I use rubberized mesh drawer liner for things like that …

Another excellent suggestion.

You know what happened … vehicles have become so solid and quiet it's like the guy living in an old missile silo … you hear all the things you added to the space !

Originally Posted by 4WD
You know what happened … vehicles have become so solid and quiet it's like the guy living in an old missile silo … you hear all the things you added to the space !

You are exactly right! I could have had a coffee mug sailing around in the back of my old fox body and wouldn't have even known
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back