Home HVAC has a refrigerant leak

Thank you for all the replies. Is Trane still considered a good brand? It was one of the top 3 brands when I got it. Carrier being one of them.

I have a Carrier... My Goodman lasted for 18 years it was R22. The tech told me that the newer HVAC...any brand will give you around 10 to 15 years of service...He told me not to expect 20 years out of a newer model...

Thank you for all the replies. Is Trane still considered a good brand? It was one of the top 3 brands when I got it. Carrier being one of them.
Most consumer and HVAC pro survey ratings indicate American Standard/Trane as being #1 followed closely by Carrier/Bryant systems.

Most trades people don't want to do repair on old system as there may be callback unrelated to their work, or something else broke along the way not their fault and they have to eat the cost.

Same for doing head gasket on a 400k mile car regardless of which one. Even an LS400 would have a lot of people not wanting to deal with it out of the blue, nobody want to be called to check for stuff unrelated to their work (hey my transmission stopped working after your head gasket replacement, you need to rebuild it for free).

Just a quick NOTE: I recently cleaned my air handler. The foil backed insulation was degrading. After cleaning, and using tape over the bad sections, I painted it with Rust Oleum Chrome paint. It was a perfect match and a great way to restore the insulation without replacing it.

Anyway,,,

The evaporator coil is probably a copper pipe, 4 row, A frame style with external expansion valve and multiple external lines. These lines tend to rub on the steel plates that cover the serviceable side of the evaporator. I'm guessing it is repairable, in place. It will look like this, a mess of tubing. I'll bet one of the tubes rubbed until it perforated.

air-conditioner-evaporator-coil-768x1024.webp

Most trades people don't want to do repair on old system as there may be callback unrelated to their work, or something else broke along the way not their fault and they have to eat the cost.

Same for doing head gasket on a 400k mile car regardless of which one. Even an LS400 would have a lot of people not wanting to deal with it out of the blue, nobody want to be called to check for stuff unrelated to their work (hey my transmission stopped working after your head gasket replacement, you need to rebuild it for free).
"Ever since you..."

No one wants to get married to a can of worms.

I had a local guy that I knew from a previous home install install a new system in my existing furnace/blower. It is a Goodman and I know the reputation but a good installer is a huge difference. Ours has worked flawlessly for 3 summers now and has saved us on electricity since per killawatt has increased but our bill is less now than with our old unit.
I agree with having a good install done. Maybe in another 5 years, you will reap the ROI with your electric savings using your new unit.

Most consumer and HVAC pro survey ratings indicate American Standard/Trane as being #1 followed closely by Carrier/Bryant systems.
What's truly bizarre is that when I got a TRANE in 2020, the website was not updated (now it is, maybe in 2023). So when my system was installed, it happened to be one of those with the fancy status adding tops, and I thought I got gypped because what I got didn't match the website. Also, per the web mine should have had a "blanket" over the compressor, and it did not. Turns out other people thought the same thing and it was simply that the website hadn't noted everybody that the cheapification that had taken place.

Today, it seems TRANE did what the German car cos have done to the engines, where the model number got smaller lol

Lastly I did hear American Standard is identical, although status might be slightly lower with them lol

All kidding aside, no issues for 2 entire seasons....got the 94% furnace not the 96%.

Maybe there is a new rating called SEER2

In my case, 1951 house, not all dealers included a stainless steel chimney liner I take it to offer a lower quote, but since the hot water heater is orphaned, online says it's needed due to condensation...

Back