Home HVAC has a refrigerant leak

For a system this old, I think OP will have a hard time finding someone to replace just the evaporator. Most will push hard for a brand new system.

Having said that, I would still try to find someone to fix it. The new systems and especially the installers pushing for them aren’t great these days.

Repairing a system of this age is like doing a headgasket on a FWD V6 engine with 400,000 miles.

And the fan motor is like $150 and an hour labor on the condenser.
Quite the blanket statement to make - have you priced out a fan motor lately? Some of the ECM motors on Trane units are well over $1K for the part alone. Just replaced one last year.

Quite the blanket statement to make - have you priced out a fan motor lately? Some of the ECM motors on Trane units are well over $1K for the part alone. Just replaced one last year.
You have to take into account the age of the system. There was no ECM motors back then.

These old systems were very simple and parts are quite cheap when compared to the modern systems. That is their advantage.

I also think that it is worth to keep them going, provided you know how to, or have an HVAC guy that is willing.

20-21 year old TRANE XL1800 apparently has a refrigerant leak in the evaporator coil. Is there a type of refrigerant that has some "sealing" compound to stop leaks?
How do you know where the leak is? Did they use a sniffer or do a dye test?
I ask because it is common for systems of that age to develop leaks at the schrader valves in the service ports. You can replace those without losing the charge.
My R22 Carrier units are 30 years old and still running fine but I service them myself.

Fan motors on 20 year old systems are cheap and easy to repair.
You have to take into account the age of the system. There was no ECM motors back then.

These old systems were very simple and parts are quite cheap when compared to the modern systems. That is their advantage.

I also think that it is worth to keep them going, provided you know how to, or have an HVAC guy that is willing.
Fair points. My last experience with Trane/AS units from the mid 2000's involved fan motors that were over $1K, but perhaps it was an anomaly.

Where I live, no one has run home AC yet for the most part. The first hot day we get when people run it will swamp HVAC companies for a while. I’d be getting an estimate on a new system asap.

Back