Home HVAC Advice Needed

You might be correct. Homeowners insurance went up 50% last year due to the wildfire exposure (its only a matter of time before it burns down), all of the windows are due for replacement, needs new flooring, one bathroom remodel and now this.
Lol, that's what I'm doing as well. Replaced my windows a couple of years ago, replaced all three bedroom's flooring. Redoing a bathroom floor now, then the down stairs flooring.

A bit of work, but I don't have a mortgage payment.

Lol, that's what I'm doing as well. Replaced my windows a couple of years ago, replaced all three bedroom's flooring. Redoing a bathroom floor now, then the down stairs flooring.

A bit of work, but I don't have a mortgage payment.
Unfortunately I’m not much of a home repair guy, so I’m looking at around 125K to do all of the above items.

Different strokes. If it ain't broke, don't fix or remodel it.
Good news is that everything still works, but all of the items are either worn out or dated.

Luckily the HVAC still works perfect at the moment. The low charge was discovered during the 2020 and 2022 maintenance visits; service and top-off was $400 each time. My wife wants me to run the system until it quits, but I prefer to replace it at my convenience.

Last edited:
Good news is that everything still works, but all of the items are either worn out or dated.

Luckily the HVAC still works perfect at the moment. The low charge was discovered during the 2020 and 2022 maintenance visits; service and top-off was $400 each time. My wife wants me to run the system until it quits, but I prefer to replace it at my convenience.
Understand. Been there. See if the tech can ID the part that is leaking and fix or replace that part, only. I replaced a 40 year old furnace and noticed that it was in perfect condition. Tech said furnaces last much longer in warm climates like mine, or, yours.

I’m of the same mindset. What size AC unit do you have? Did you top off with R22 or the replacement ‘bluon’? If only $200, guessing it’s not that bad. It’s basically what I did until the compressor was shot.

I’m getting a 2nd unit replaced next week (I have 3). It’s only 2.5t but only ~20% less cost. Funny how that works out. Was really hoping the new run cap would fix it…

Not sure what the supply situation is in your neck of NorCal but I hear a consistent theme from installers talking about the past where you just grabbed one from the dealer. My 5 ton had to be trucked in from out of state.

Critic,

I would look into getting your duct work Aerosealed. I had I done back in 2020 on my 2600 sq foot house and the air flow difference is huge. Three is only a 1-2 degrees temp difference between the main floor and upper floor. Heating and AC Bills probably save me 20-25 pct every month. Let's face it utility costs are only going to go up.

Here are two links. The guy that was on Mike Holmes did the job on my house.
Your forced air ducts probably leak 30-40 pct inside the walls and other non living areas.

You could probably have your attic insulation topped up as well if it's feasible. R19 is very poor.

At some point the building code here started to require that ducts be sealed with duct mastic. It's always been the standard in commercial work to seal ducts.
That makes a huge difference. I sealed the ducts in my basement with foil tape. Duct mastic up in Canada was hard to get without being a contractor. I picked up a tub and sealed the ductwork in the bedroom above my garage.

I can't believe how poor the building code is in a lot of places.

California mostly dry climate with mild winters?

Single stage AC and 80% gas furnace is exactly correct.

I have the same configuration in a builder grade Lennox and its fine for San Antonio.

You don't need super high SEER, I would just make sure the unit you buy is sized correctly for the house.

I can't believe how poor the building code is in a lot of places.

Enforcement is usually the problem, especially when a building boom is going on, the inspector is under pressure to get as many inspections complete as possible. And some are just plain crooked or incompetent or both.

Reactions: JC1
And the trades normally take shortcuts and don't care about the job they do. I'm in process of renovating my garage. I see the amount of shortcuts taken and lack of quality.

Recommend a 2-stage heat pump system with Ecobee thermostat.

Installed a Trane last fall and could not be happier. The system is very quiet and no big temperature fluctuations.

With the Ecobee, use one with remote sensors. We run sensors in bedrooms and family room.

These sensors detect when a room is in use, and the thermostat adjusts accordingly.
The Trane thermostat that came with my Trane heat pump can display and awful lot of info about the system, past usage, whether it was heat, booster heat or cooling.

Does the Ecobee provide that same info when connected to a Trane heat pump?

I believe this guy is correct.

He has some valid points, but it ultimately depends on customer needs and budget. Mine is 25 years old and to me, is the equivalent of a 200K mile old car. I need reliability with minimal hassle, so I am electing to replace.

I would have an Aprilaire zone control panel installed along with motorized dampner(s) and a 2nd thermostat upstairs.

That is sorta what one contractor suggested - an air scoop to divert more air flow to the 2nd story plus a dampener door for the winter months. I'm trying to avoid a true "zone setup" since the ductwork is already a bit undersized for the house.

I guess a second HVAC system for the second floor is out of the question due to cost?

Trane would be my first choice.
HVAC performance to the second floor could definitely be improved, but it is not dire enough to justify spending $20K for a second system. If I can make the existing setup a bit better for a minor additional cost, that would make more financial sense.

If you been happy with the past performance of your present system as far as even temperature distribution through out the house, I don't see any reason for drastic changes. I agree with the suggestions offered in the first sentence of # 2, unless you like the idea of large circuit boards in your furnace. The problem with high efficiency is complexity and high initial and repair costs. Often when the warranty runs up, much of the energy savings of high efficiency components get offset by high repair costs. You would be amazed how good efficient windows would help with those warmer southern facing bedrooms. It is better to prevent the heat buildup than trying to attack it. I like simpicity.
Temperature distribution throughout the house is currently an issue. The situation isn't dire, but if it can be improved for a small amount of money, then I will give it some serious consideration. Replacing windows is probably a $50K+ affair that I'm hoping to avoid, at least for now. For some of the systems, a 10-yr extended labor warranty is only $700 and I am hoping to be out of this house before that expires.

Have the windows been replaced with Low-E windows?
Most houses with two stories have dampers to control airflow to the 1st and 2nd floors. They aren't usually motorized and have to be adjusted manually. I'd be surprised if a house built in 1997 didn't have these dampers, although the one in my dad's house for the 1st floor was drywalled over when the original builder finished the basement (knuckle draggers at work, there).

If your house has these, make sure the damper for the 2nd floor is fully open and start closing the damper for the 1st floor. In some houses there may be two dampers for the 1st floor, one for the left side of the house and one for the right.

You'd hope that one of the contractors that looked at your system would have pointed these out if they exist, but it's not a profession known for honesty....
Original windows, hoping to avoid replacement for now. This is a very large expense. Current system does not have damper doors.
I’m of the same mindset. What size AC unit do you have? Did you top off with R22 or the replacement ‘bluon’? If only $200, guessing it’s not that bad. It’s basically what I did until the compressor was shot.

I’m getting a 2nd unit replaced next week (I have 3). It’s only 2.5t but only ~20% less cost. Funny how that works out. Was really hoping the new run cap would fix it…

Not sure what the supply situation is in your neck of NorCal but I hear a consistent theme from installers talking about the past where you just grabbed one from the dealer. My 5 ton had to be trucked in from out of state.
4-ton A/C unit. Supposedly real R22 was used. I paid $400 for each top-off.

Critic,

I would look into getting your duct work Aerosealed. I had I done back in 2020 on my 2600 sq foot house and the air flow difference is huge. Three is only a 1-2 degrees temp difference between the main floor and upper floor. Heating and AC Bills probably save me 20-25 pct every month. Let's face it utility costs are only going to go up.

Here are two links. The guy that was on Mike Holmes did the job on my house.
Your forced air ducts probably leak 30-40 pct inside the walls and other non living areas.

You could probably have your attic insulation topped up as well if it's feasible. R19 is very poor.

All 3 quotes have included "HERS testing" and re-sealing ducts as-needed. Is this the same thing?

I do plan to improve the attic insulation at some point.

I feel your pain sir, although mine is way less costly.

Our only a/c, which is a window unit mounted through a DIY wall sleeve in our master pooped out the other night. It runs and cools well for a few minutes, until the point you hear the compressor change pitch and tone until it trips the 15a breaker for that circuit. I believe it's a 12000btu. It's 15+ yrs old.

Just to add some context to the conversation:

Gas bill from the coldest month of last winter:

Gas Bill.JPG

Base electricity rates:

Electricity Rates.JPG

I know a little about HVAC.

Here's what I would do (and have done in your situation)-

Install a single, "mini-split" multi-port heat pump condensing unit and two indoor ducted, multi-position air handling units inside. One for downstairs, one for upstairs. The most idiotic thing to come about in the last 25 years is the use of zone damper systems in residential construction where a single system serves multiple floors. They simply do not work. To equate that to your line of work, Mr. Critic - that is the same as putting 4 different wheels and tires on a single vehicle because the owner wants to drive over turf/pasture (wide turf tractor wheel/tire), go rock crawling (18" x 12" wide wheel with a 35" x 12.50 x 18 Patagonia tire; run highway speeds daily (20" x 9" wheel with Michelin LTX M/S tire) and an 18" steelie with a snow tire because the owner goes to the mountains on the weekends in January/February.

What kind of sense does that make? About the same as a single unit serving two-three floors.....

My suggestion - sounds like you need a 4-ton multi-port condensing unit and two indoor units, probably a 3 and a 2-ton. Brand? Daikin.

Your climate will support a heat pump very well. I suspect your power bill will reduce enough to pay the PREMIUM this system will cost over the same old chit that the contractors are suggesting to replace the existing.

Feel free to PM me if needed.

Edited.....

HOLY CRAP at those electric rates..... BTW, you won't need gas with my suggestion...

Also, I wrote a song about all this-

My house is in the southern part of Delaware and not that much different than the OP with respect to house size and climate.

My first floor is 6 ton heat pump and second level is a 4 ton.

You are talking about a 4 ton for your entire house?

Why the big discrepancy?

He has some valid points, but it ultimately depends on customer needs and budget. Mine is 25 years old and to me, is the equivalent of a 200K mile old car. I need reliability with minimal hassle, so I am electing to replace.

That is sorta what one contractor suggested - an air scoop to divert more air flow to the 2nd story plus a dampener door for the winter months. I'm trying to avoid a true "zone setup" since the ductwork is already a bit undersized for the house.

HVAC performance to the second floor could definitely be improved, but it is not dire enough to justify spending $20K for a second system. If I can make the existing setup a bit better for a minor additional cost, that would make more financial sense.

Temperature distribution throughout the house is currently an issue. The situation isn't dire, but if it can be improved for a small amount of money, then I will give it some serious consideration. Replacing windows is probably a $50K+ affair that I'm hoping to avoid, at least for now. For some of the systems, a 10-yr extended labor warranty is only $700 and I am hoping to be out of this house before that expires.

Original windows, hoping to avoid replacement for now. This is a very large expense. Current system does not have damper doors.

4-ton A/C unit. Supposedly real R22 was used. I paid $400 for each top-off.

All 3 quotes have included "HERS testing" and re-sealing ducts as-needed. Is this the same thing?

I do plan to improve the attic insulation at some point.
They will only seal what is exposed therefore they cannot get behind the walls and finished areas that would need drywall removed. The Aeroseal leaves everything intact.

My house is in the southern part of Delaware and not that much different than the OP with respect to house size and climate.

My first floor is 6 ton heat pump and second level is a 4 ton.

You are talking about a 4 ton for your entire house?

Why the big discrepancy?
Either your figures are wrong, or your house was built without insulation or something crazy. 10 tons for a 2,300 sq ft house is completely insane. I'm in a 2,400 square foot house in MD and we have 3.5 tons AC, totally adequate. 80,000 BTU (~6.5 "tons") furnace which runs 95% of the time in the low stage of 52,000 BTU.

jeff

Back