Home heating fuel recommendations

Propane is $$$$
If you own the tank, you can fill it in July when the prices typically drop for the Summer months. Owning the tank and filling it when you want can cut almost 1/3 off the per gallon price of the Winter months.

How capable are you? I am a " senior citizen" myself and somewhat capable, but I am not up to loading a 1/2 cord of wood onto the front porch anymore. Got adult children or grandkids to help with this once a year task? Do you have a wood shed? Are you willing to construct it? Do you even have wood available at a reasonable cost?

I really like wood stoves, but on the coldest nights you may have to get up and throw in a couple 1/2 logs to make it to morning. I particularly enjoy the windowed units and they are not ridiculously costl;y.

What is your current heating system? Hydronic gas or oil-fired boiler? A FHA Furnace? Electric?

A Pellett stove can be easier and efficient with fuel, but they are insanely pricey now - the same cost or more than a medium sized boiler. You may have to store at least a pallet of the stuff (depending on home sq-footage and insulation) - and the bags are HEAVY. Also pellet stoves don't work during a power outage unless you run a compact generator or an inverter and battery pile - this option can become very costly and troublesome. Also you may need a new stove chimney install and wall perforation depending on placement; again added cost.

Need more data and feedback.

Last edited:
Back