Home electrical issue

It is much cleaner to grab all the wires with linesman’s pliers, twist them all together, cut off the tip, then install a nut.

Might be easier for some folks without the strength to twist a wirenut with enough torque to accomplish the same thing?

Might be easier for some folks without the strength to twist a wirenut with enough torque to accomplish the same thing?
I’ve found the lineman’s pliers to make it much easier than getting a legit twist of wires, especially 12ga or larger.

I’ve found the lineman’s pliers to make it much easier than getting a legit twist of wires, especially 12ga or larger.

I've used this tool to get an even better grip on the wirenut. The hole in the middle fits over a wire nut.

61gfZXGEf4L.jpg

The most important thing with wire nuts is to get the ends of the wires very close to the same place (same length of engagement in the nut). Twist the nut on until the insulated part of the wires outside the nut starts to twist together. Then it is done.

Have you looked at the actual voltage at the ceiling fan? I'd hook a meter up and watch it. Maybe it's just right at the limit to run the fan and dips down momentarily and shuts it off. If you see the voltage issue work yourself backwards towards the panel. Otherwise you're just guessing.

Back