Ceiling Fan install

Status
Not open for further replies.
...possible?

Two story house, Fan installed downstairs in the family room in the center of room. One wall switched outlet.

I do have some old pictures to reference (drywall gutted to remediate water/mold damage some years ago) to see if there is romex in the ceiling.. I'm guessing yes. I assume this would not be an issue for any certified electrician to figure out?

An electrician should be able to make this possible. They'll have to get a source of power and you'll have to decide if you want the CF controlled by a wall switch/s or the pull chain/s on the CF. Or find a power source and install a fan remote control. Another option would be a surface mount wiremold channels (w/a 3-wire sjoow cord inside that channel) which would get the power from your switched/unswitched ouitlet. If you don't have much clearance, get a "hugger" type fan. Hunter makes a couple of really nice models. 42/52". Home Depot sells the 52" version for $89 in the store. A light kit will lower the fan. Good Luck and enjoy the new fan!

Sure. Even if you don't have a close power source you can always run one. New switches and power aren't that difficult to install, and even if you have to notch out some drywall it's easy to patch it up, especially with some of the DIY kits available.

It may be more difficult to get it braced properly-if you don't then it will always wobble and can easily be a safety hazard.

Most likely will be a direct connection not switched. All of the upstairs bedrooms have direct power, and are controlled by the remote. I think it cost me about $600 to have 4 fans installed in the bedrooms about 5 years ago. Worth every penny too!

...was just thinking that it might be nice to have one in the family room where we hang out most of the time to talk/watch tv/etc. Right now we have a small 10" oscillating fan doing the job.

Excellent point by Pop Rivet. Be sure to install a "fan" rated box. They make a kit which includes the box and expandable crossbar. A remodel type kit which doesn't require access (just make the hole between your joists). About $12 @ HD.

Depending on where the switch is in relationship to the fan, its more or less expensive. He's looking to run down a joist span, hopefully its close. Make sure he uses a heavy duty support bracket, a spinning fan tugs on it, wobbles etc.

Yup, I think that's what they did with the ones that were installed in the bedrooms! If I do go through with this it will be mounted properly. I'm not a fan of "Mickey Mousing"
wink.gif

Here's what we did when we installed a ceiling fan with no ceiling outlet. We ran a cord through a swag chain from the fan to a wall outlet. Doesn't look bad at all as the chain is decorative and you really don't notice the cord going down the wall to the outlet. Easy install and no electrician needed. We turn on the fan or the light kit by pulling the chains.

Re mudding the drywall after the wiring is in will take an expert to not notice it. [If large sections are to be cut away]
And then, painting the WHOLE wall and ceiling may be necessary to blend it and not notice a patch paint job..

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Re mudding the drywall after the wiring is in will take an expert to not notice it. [If large sections are to be cut away]
And then, painting the WHOLE wall and ceiling may be necessary to blend it and not notice a patch paint job..

Hogwash. I've done it dozens of times when we used to flip houses. It's not hard at all to make the patch (even a textured ceiling patch) disappear. The DIY products that are now available make it even easier.

It just takes a little time and patience.

Meh, The expandable brackets are junk. The electrician installed installed one failed in a year or so. working through the hole, I screwed cleats to the joists and put a piece of 2 by to mount a standard box. That was 25 yrs ago, and the fan is fine

I've replaced all the lighting in my home, and added ceiling fans in 3 rooms where there weren't any prior. The 18' vault ceilings were (not) fun, but it was still DIY (rented scaffolding). It's not difficult. If you only have 1 switch, you can buy a fan with remote, or wire the fan and light to the switch, and turn each on/off via the pull chains. You can buy the supports/boxes at any home improvement center.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Depending on where the switch is in relationship to the fan, its more or less expensive. He's looking to run down a joist span, hopefully its close. Make sure he uses a heavy duty support bracket, a spinning fan tugs on it, wobbles etc.

the last 2 hunter fans I installed recently take into account someone not using a 'fan rated' box; the mounting plates are large, have rubber pads, and large wood screws that they instruct to mount directly through the ceiling into the joist, so the box is not supporting the fan at all.
I have also used the adjustable mounting boxes, those are pretty cool.

Even I was able to put 3 fans in our bedrooms! It was wired for the ceiling light but I had to change the box. For one room, I had access from the attic but the other two rooms I had to do it blindly.

I used expandable thingy from box store and attached fan-rated box to it. It goes between the two rafters and then you turn it until it wedges there. After doing it for the bedroom for which I had the attic access, I was able to do the other rooms without the attic access. But I do recall that I had to shop for better box attachments.

My advice would be to grab few different types and do it where you have access first. Most of the included directions make little sense until you have already completed them!

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back