Home Defense Caliber, 9mm vs .45 POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.
40 S&W. Recoil is not much more than 9 mm, magazine capacity almost as high as 9mm, kinetic energy is the same 45 ACP.

G23 will double as home defense and concealed carry.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Too bad there is no such thing as stopping power.

I'm not sure if you are being humerous, or are one of the most ignorant people on the planet. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
40 S&W. Recoil is not much more than 9 mm, magazine capacity almost as high as 9mm, kinetic energy is the same 45 ACP.

I also thought that, until I looked up the [reloading] specs of the S&W 40. The kinetic energy is significantly lower than a .45. That being said, there are other considerations that indicate it is an adequate round for self defense.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Colt45wsToo bad there is no such thing as stopping power. Quote: I'm not sure if you are being humerous said:
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Misc_Images/DocGKR/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg[/IMG]

Handgun_expanded_JHP.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. If someone gets hit with one shot of X caliber and falls down, it was either a lucky shot (Central Nervous System) or they watch too many movies and think they are supposed to. Unless you hit a critical facility, there is no specific reason beyond psychological for someone to fall down when hit with a pistol bullet. IIRC, even with a direct heart shot a man will have 10-15 seconds of full consciousness and ability.
http://www.lawofficer.com/article/training/officer-down-peter-soulis-inci
That is a story of a perp taking 22 hits of .40 Ranger SXT, 17 COM before succumbing to his wounds. The autopsy revealed some alcohol, that was it. The officer himself also took several 9mm HP.

Last edited:
Although price and ammo variety doesnt matter when it comes down to saving your own life but Id go with 9mm. What makes the difference in concealed carry being effective is it being comfortable to carry. If your not comfortable carrying your handgun your not going to carry it with you everywhere you go. My ruger LCP I carry a majority of the time fits that bill perfectly. Tucked or in the pocket Ill take it anywhere like a cell phone. Im looking into a Kel-Tec P11 to replace the expensive .380. I like to shoot my carry pistol regularly so Id love a 9mm to take its place.

I agree with Colt, this happens quite often in the hunting world. Large animal gets a kill shot, and either just stands there or runs off 100 yards before collapsing. Pick up a Capstick book to read the fine print.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Hitting your target is more important than the size of the bullet. 9mm is considerably cheaper to shoot so that means you will be able to get more practice in with the 9 than the .45.

The best point made here. Someone shooting a 38 special who practices regualarly is infinitely more dangerous than someone who pulls his 1911 from the nightstand drawer only when he hears a noise. You'll have a hard enough time hitting your target with the adrenaline pumping under stress. This is when practice pays dividends.

Also, those of you referring to semi-auto pistols at "automatics" please stop.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris

I also thought that, until I looked up the [reloading] specs of the S&W 40. The kinetic energy is significantly lower than a .45. That being said, there are other considerations that indicate it is an adequate round for self defense.

Taking numbers from the post above:
9mm 124 @ 1181 fps is 12,354 ft^2/lbs
9mm 147 @1032 fps is 11,183 ft^2/lbs
40 S&W 165 @ 1076 fps is 13,645 ft^2/lbs
40 S&W 180 @ 995 fps is 12,729 ft^2/lbs
45 ACP 230 @ 875 fps is 12,578, ft^2/lbs

165 grain 40 S&W is a clear winner as far as kinetic energy is concerned(among calibers we are discussing; 357 Sig is the overall winner with 15,534 ft^2/lbs).

I have pushed 125 grain Nosler JHPs with Blue Dot and Universal Clays well past 12,000 fps in my reloads out of G22 (still very safe, no bulging, no 6 o'clock Glock smiles). Sorry do not remember exact numbers.

I do not know what manual you have used, but I have Lyman 47th, Nosler (x2) and Speer. They show similar data.

BTW formula for kinetic energy is mv^2/2.
To translate bullet weight into pounds, divide by 7000 first. There are 7000 grains in a pound.

Last edited:
IMO. There is only one choice, .45acp 230grain jhp. With either Glock 21, 21sf. The 21 is the only gun I still own.
It has less recoil than a buddies Beretta 92(9mm). Significantly less recoil than my dads .357 Colt Lawman MarkIII, great gun though. The round stop and probably stay in who ever hit unlike a .357 or.38+p. Not a really carry weapon because of size (could be though) but just the right size to find the business end of it when you have just been awoken at 4:00am. And contrary to what some are saying it WILL go bang every time.

And while I feel that my marksmanship is more than adequate, I take great comfort in knowing I could miss one guy 12 times and still have one left to fully resolve the issue with him being alive in my house or have enough for the 3-4 guy(POS)home invasion that seems to be popular here in beautiful, sunny, tourist friendly Florida. That's not hyperbole either, there have many instances where well trained law enforcement people have missed many times at a so called "point blank range".

Ultimately you must decide what YOU are comfortable owning and shooting. A revolver is perfectly acceptable in the caliber of your choice. But what is more important than caliber or type is to get training, practice, use quality ammo and be prepared(mentally)to use it if God forbid you are made to.

Pistols are poplar because they are small for carry and look cool. A shotgun is what you want for home protection. A tatical shotgun is better. Ammunition is cheap and you can practice all you want. You will shot a shotgun more accurate under stress and in the dark - and that is the only time that counts. Inside of a home a shotgun wins every time if you know how to use it. A 12 gauge with 00 buck and you are as ready as it gets.

Last edited:
Getting back to the OPs points and question:

1. 9mm or .45: With either one you have to hit something important to be effective. Might as well use the easiest caliber to get multiple hits with. 9mm for most people (that's what I use).

2. OP likes Glocks and wants a house gun. I would go full size.

My recommendation is a Glock 17.

Originally Posted By: oil_spaz
Getting back to the OPs points and question:

1. 9mm or .45: With either one you have to hit something important to be effective. Might as well use the easiest caliber to get multiple hits with. 9mm for most people (that's what I use).

2. OP likes Glocks and wants a house gun. I would go full size.

My recommendation is a Glock 17.

+1 cant go wrong with a 17 and being able to afford to know how to use one.

Pick the one you shoot well! If you are more accurate with a 9mm then that is what i'd use. If you shoot a .45 well excellent. I have several calibers and practice with them all. Thats the key. My ruger lcp has almost the same recoil as my .45.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Too bad there is no such thing as stopping power.

I'm not sure if you are being humerous, or are one of the most ignorant people on the planet. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

My apologies for my unwarranted comment. It was the New Belgium Fat Tire talking.

Stopping power may not be used by the FBI, but it is still a common term among the shooting community. If you believed I was using the term in the text of the capacity of a single pistol round to stop someone in their tracks by either immediate incapacitation or by physically throwing them backward, I see your point.

All things equal a larger caliber should make a bigger hole. It may or may not make a difference. Bigger should be better. Which caliber you shoot better is the better one as a miss is a miss.

Originally Posted By: sweezy722
Pistols are poplar because they are small for carry and look cool. A shotgun is what you want for home protection. A tatical shotgun is better. Ammunition is cheap and you can practice all you want. You will shot a shotgun more accurate under stress and in the dark - and that is the only time that counts. Inside of a home a shotgun wins every time if you know how to use it. A 12 gauge with 00 buck and you are as ready as it gets.
A shot gun should be way more effective but a pistol with a light would be easier to handle and harder to get taken away from you.

What is kinetic energy supposed to do in real life application? I really can't under stand the true meaning of the number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back