Holy Purolator Flip Flop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Turk
So, when are we going to see pictures of the tearing??

^^This. Pics or it didn`t happen
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
So, when are we going to see pictures of the tearing??

I'm kind of a Troglodyte and haven't been able to figure out how to post pics from my phone. Tried imgur (sp?) But no go. Will try some tech support and hopefully get pics this week.

Last edited:
Easiest way from a phone imo,email to yourself from your phone,upload them to tinypic.com,then post here.

Here's my latest P1 dissection. Installed in the 01 Cherokee in the fall, removed early due to some gasket work. Interesting to me is that it has the assembly string that always used to be on Puros, but I haven't seen much in recent years, note that while it may be oldish stock, it is the yellow can

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Interesting to me is that it has the assembly string that always used to be on Puros, but I haven't seen much in recent years, note that while it may be oldish stock, it is the yellow can.

What's the date code on the can?

So I have about 8 Puro synthetic's in my stash for the Honda van. Should I be worried about using them? I haven't tried any of them yet so far. Been using Napa plat and Amsoil filters....

Originally Posted By: asharris7
So I have about 8 Puro synthetic's in my stash for the Honda van. Should I be worried about using them? I haven't tried any of them yet so far. Been using Napa plat and Amsoil filters....

No worries, because the Purolator Synthetic has a wired back media, which fully supports the media.

Ok thanks. Any concern about the paint specs from the filter itself?

Just make sure there are none INSIDE the center tube area. Any on the base plate will be caught by the media if they come loose.

On Purolators I've had that have paint specs, I remove the base gasket and use some carburetor cleaner on a cloth or a Q-Tip to carefully clean the specs off, then reinstall the gasket.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Interesting to me is that it has the assembly string that always used to be on Puros, but I haven't seen much in recent years, note that while it may be oldish stock, it is the yellow can.

Just pulled it out to check: October 2013. Scratch the 'older stock' theory.

Heavens no, you should not worry! Synthetic media filters are made very very differently than standard filters, and the pleat structure is inherently made uniform by the formed wire mesh backing. Even if Purolator had a quality control disaster with the classic assembly line, odds are that the synthetic assembly line would not be affected since it's such a different process.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Just pulled it out to check: October 2013. Scratch the 'older stock' theory.

From what I recall, a lot of the media tears reported recently here seem to have been from filters made around that same time frame (mid to late 2013). As mentioned before, I think it's mostly certain filters with the metal crimped seam that have the tearing issue.

ok how did you take the filter off?

did you take it off by hand or did you use a filter wrench? if so what kind of wrench? was it a pliers or band style?

I only ask because the last time i changed the oil on my explorer i had classic on it and when i removed it with the pliers type wrench i gnarled the outside casing of the filter and when i cut the filter open i noticed that i bend the endcaps and tore several pleats because how i removed the filter.

all other classics I've removed with a regular filter wrench without damaging the filter housing looked ok on the inside, i have one or 2 more puro's to cut open eventually and have quite a few quakerstate filters to use.

I've already started buying other filters to try and eventually cut those open as well.

I'm still a puro fan and will continue to buy Motorcraft etc. just hope this get this issue figured out.

Originally Posted By: Le_bow_ski
I opened this thread in the Miata.net website to give warning of incidences of filter media tearing in Purolator filters:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?p=6878965#post6878965

One gentleman opened two Purolator filters, a PureOne and a standard; both had torn media. So perhaps it's not just the folks here.

Those dang Gremlins are putting filters with media tears on Miatas now. What are the odds of that?
lol.gif

At some point the word will spread and be on all the car enthusiast chat boards.

It only seems to be a problem with folks who are opening their filters to examine them. Avoid doing that and I'm sure that statistically you're safe.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
There is one over on powerstroke.org from 2011. It's a P1 with a string. The guy sent it back to Purolator. Got the canned response.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7...er-failure.html

It was in 2011 when I found my first Purolator with torn media. I emailed Purolator about it back then ... didn't send it in, what good would it do anyway based on thier canned response to anyone who sends them in.

Classic with media tear (May 2011)

So it sounds like Purolator even knew back in the 2011 time frame that this was going on since I'm thinking many people reported media tears if they happened to find them. I wonder if Purolator has even addressed it since more seem to be tearing laterly as we've seen a noticeable up-tick in reported tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back