Purolator Classic L26127 post OCI pics / comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this Puro Classic L26127 for about 5,500 miles in our KIA Sedona with the 3.5 v6. The oil was Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. I had posted before when the Puro wars were raging that I was running a Classic cartridge without concern, and this examination bears that notion out.

This cartridge is typical of the model. I have bought a bunch of these from different sources but most all seem to be coming from South Korea and many are blatant relabels, such as the STP and Fram 10855's that contain the excellent "Mahle" filters inside. This Classic is unique as I've not seen another exactly like them, although it also says South Korea on it.

image hosting

It had the same number of pleats give or take as the rest, about 55, but it did have some pleat "gaps" for lack of a better word. There were 3 or 4 pleats spread out at various places on the filter as pictured. I have not seen that occur on other filters I have run. No matter there were no tears so I consider it harmless, although an interesting note.

Here is the other side, again you can see one of the spread pleats but still no tears.

how to do a screenshot on a pc

Here is the top. The top felt portion came out rather tattered looking on this one. That is a new phenomenon as well have not seen that on any others I have used so far. It didn't tear or fail, just looked a bit worse for wear. It actually looks better in the picture than with the naked eye. That is not a crack on the top it's an optical illusion created by a little remaining oil.

upload foto

I couldn't get proper pics, but this filter had more lateral plastic supports on the inside tube than most others. I was not able to count but I could tell less media was exposed so it had plenty of support for the media.

Not sure who Puro is sourcing these from or if they are actually making filters in South Korea. I do know this filter did just fine, I also must mention this is the first cartridge I have taken out of the KIA that didn't look just like it did when installed other than color. I have another one of these purchased on an AAP OCI special and I will absolutely use it, on the other hand I don't think this is a filter to go out of your way looking for either.

I got what I paid for and am satisfied. Typical prices on this style filter are about 8-12 bucks without sale shopping, with the OCI special this regular priced $11.99 filter was only about 4 dollars. Nice!

I think it's likely that this filter was made by Mann Hummel Korea. If I'm not mistaken, Mann Hummel owns Purolator. Many of the Hyundai / Kia OEM filters are now stamped "Mann Hummel" where they weren't previously. Appears to be the exact same filters though.

Sounds reasonable to me. I have used a variety of this model filter but none have looked exactly like this one. The stamped writing on it was different too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back