Higher Octane in OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some questions for the folks here at Bob's who are running higher octane gas(whichever grade) other than the regular 87 octane in their lawnmower, snowblower or air cooled power equipment(leafblower, weedeater, chainsaw etc.)?

I also want to include those using higher octane gas in their PWC...Is higher octane required in PWC anyway? IDK, so, I ask!

If so, what are you folks noticing in terms of BENEFITS or NOT?

*Better Performance
*Easier Starting during the season
*Easier Starting after seasonal storage
*Using less fuel

OR

*Stumbling/Poor Idle
*Harder Starting/No Start
*Uses too much fuel
*No differences or Cost Benefit

Also, please chime in if you have tried higher octane fuels in your OPE and DID NOT like the way your equipment started/ran/performed!

Please state what octane you used and what the outcome was/is. And too, how many times have you used this particular higher octane fuel. I realize that there are folks who try a higher octane one time, didn't like the outcome and never used it again! Please chime it too!

This topic may have been discussed in the past but, I though it'd be and interesting way to start the New Year!

Happy New Year!
CB

Last edited:
I put in higher octane(93) along with stabil and a touch of 2cycle oil, for the last mow of the season. that way what fuel is left will have a bit more octane next season when i crank it up. I generally use 89 during the mowing season. I really can't much difference in 87,89,93 in my mowers. MY chainsaw does seem to run better on 93.

Last edited:
My echo equipment won't run on 87. It will randomly stall and misfire and foul the spark plug very quickly. You can't go wrong on high octane. Most 2 strokes are pretty high compression anyways.

Higher octane won't really be of any benefit in most OPE, but ethanol free gas will be. It just so happens that ethanol free gas is only available in higher octane in most places. Not sure about the PWC, but the owners manual should tell you if it needs higher octane gas.

If your small engine runs fine on 87, running 93 will make no difference.

If you experience detonation with 87, moving up will help.

Typicaly, I just run 87 octane summer/winter/storage.

I am also curious if these smaller engines actually have the ignition systems to ignite the fuel properly as to, allow better performance...Performance meaning, just running better/smoother and such?

Also, during seasonal storage(5-6 months), does the octane deplete therefore, requiring the "storage use" of a higher octane gasoline?

Last edited:
My OPE (Husky chainsaw, Stihl for others) runs best on the pre-mixed, ethanol free, gasoline sold in quarts at the dealer. IDK the octane, but think it's 89...

And using that solved the carburetor gumming problem I had using E10 from the local station...

I use shell 93 v-power because it's only a few dollars more per gas can and I believe helps keep my OPE combustion chambers clean, and maybe even run cooler/resist pinging on hot summer days. High performance engines like those offered from companies like stihl actually call for a minimum of 89.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
My OPE (Husky chainsaw, Stihl for others) runs best on the pre-mixed, ethanol free, gasoline sold in quarts at the dealer. IDK the octane, but think it's 89...

And using that solved the carburetor gumming problem I had using E10 from the local station...

The quarts from the dealer are 92 octane, it's so nice having an ethanol free option!

I suppose it would depend upon the engine.
An old tech flathead wouldn't have a high enough compression ratio to benefit from higher octane.
I've run ordinary pump regular in my OPEs for years without issue, and the fuel does generally contain ethanol.

I've used NOTHING BUT Non-Ethanol 92 Octane in all of my OPE including my boat motor.

All of these:

- 32 year old 2-stroke Strikemaster Ice Auger

- 26 year old John Deere Chainsaw

- 23 year old B&S 5HP Toro 22" mower

- 11 year old 140HP Suzuki 4-stroke outboard

- 5 year old Echo Weed wacker

- 5 year old 10HP Toro Snowblower

- 5 year old Echo Leaf Blower

- 20 year old B&S 17.5HP MTD Lawn Tractor

Absolutely everything starts by the 2nd or 3rd pull.
Absolutely everything runs fantastic.
Absolutely everything has the originally, untouched carbs, injectors and engine.

Stabilizer used in the gas on everything before storage with a full tank every time.

Cannot get any better than that.

Last edited:
I run 87 octane (E10) in all my OPEs simply because everything I own are fairly low compression ratio, which includes my B&S flathead (7.3:1?)

Q.

Originally Posted By: Turk
I've used NOTHING BUT Non-Ethanol 92 Octane in all of my OPE including my boat motor.

Turk -

How much is that per gallon running you. Just curious.

I wish I had that luxury..

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Originally Posted By: Turk

Turk -

How much is that per gallon running you. Just curious.

I wish I had that luxury..

Just like anyone else who would buy premium I would think... 14-20 cents per gallon.

I use only regular in my ope. Ive tried higher but never noticed a diff. My 420cc pw engine has compression ratio of 8.7. I would think higher octane would create morecarbon build up from lower heat and incomplete combustion. I cant mess with it too much cause it is for my business. I do add some tcw3 to it every once and a while.

In my 2- stroke stuff which is mostly stihl i use 50-1 still oil mixed aboit 45-1 with regular gas. Most 2-strokes ive seen are about 6-7 to 1 compression ratio. My dirtbike gets 91 with 25-1 oil cause of high compression and aggresive porting.

I run 87 octane in my 4 strokes. 89 in the 2 strokes and only because they spec it.

All gas here has ethanol in it, regardless of grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back