Higher Octane in OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HF gen set specs 91 octane, to do that I mix 60/40 93 and 87. The set runs well, is very economical, and doesn't load up the spark-plug. The weed wacker and blower get the same, not really sure what they originally called for, but they also run w/o problems.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
My HF gen set specs 91 octane

I wonder if they mean Research octane and something got lost in the translation. You have the same "chonda" GX clone on that as many, many run. Not a big deal unless you have some emergency and can only find 87, which IMO would be fine.

I think the 2 cycle engines that really wind up the RPMs (blowers/chainsaws) can use high test. Some manufacturers require it.

I have a walk behind Airens mower and when I sometimes get into wet and/or heavy areas of grass and the mower is about to stall and makes noises like its knocking. I have started to use high test in it. No conclusion yet. But I probably use 1 gallon of gas per summer in it, so the extra $0.50 is not going to kill me.

I have 55 gallons of High Octane with StaBil orange. High Octane because I have a Generac ix2000 inverter generator, and inverter generators generally run better on high octane.

I also have a Coleman Powermate 5000Watt/6250WattPeek with a 10 HP HM-100 Tecumseh engine that will run on low or high octane, but that gen-set is mostly in case we get a power outage on a hot summer day and want to run the whole house AC.

Also in the spring when I use up the winter stash of gas my 1985 Olds 88 just about demands high octane unless you want to listen to the valves rap and pre-ignition when you ask it to climb hills.

Last edited:
[Quote:JimPgaPA]Also in the spring when I use up the winter stash of gas my 1985 Olds 88 just about demands high octane unless you want to listen to the valves rap and pre-ignition when you ask it to climb hills.
It sounds like you got the timing just right
smile.gif

OFF TOPIC:

Several years ago, I advanced the ignition on my old '80 Firebird Formula V8 while driving on the hiwy. I left the distributor hold down bolt just loose enough to adj the timing(ADV) til I juuuuust started to hear knocking/pinging/detonation while on 87 octane.

Locked down the hold down bolt(@ ` 14-15 deg's ADV), put in 89 octane and ran it for a while but, in the end, she runs perfectly on 91 octane. I did try 93 for a while but, noticed NOTHING in the way of ANYTHING!

Last edited:
All of my 2-stroke equipment is made be Echo, and Echo for some reason specifically says to use 89 octane. So that's what I use in my 2-strokes. All of my 4 strokes specify 87 octane (my owner's manual says even 85 octane is ok to use in my flathead Kohler) so the 4 strokes get 87 octane. And all of it has (gasp!) ethanol in it. Never had any problems. Everything fires right up, runs smooth, and has great power.

93 Octane,always. Octane level drops over time so 87 Octane,you bought in October,may be down to 84 by Spring. Stabil for ethanol in every can. Mobil 1 EP 10-30 in my mower. Echo 2 stroke oil in my trimmer and blower.

91 octane is used in all my small engines, along with stabil and mmo when I fill the jugs.

In three years of owning the mower, snowblower and now the latest generator addition everything starts first/second pull. Plugs clean as a whistle. Stored with fuel topped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back