Higher Octane Gas for my OPE?

I believe that I have been using 87 octane gas for the last 5 years in my mower and Echo trimmer.

And I just realized that my trimmer calls for at least 89 octane gas.

Should I switch them both to 89 or higher octane fuel?

Thanks
It has worked fine for five years years now, why change now?

I run 93 and Amsoil Saber at 80-90:1 in my Sthil. The first 4 years I ran their premix. It’s 8 years old now and starts on the first pull.

I've ran 87 e10 fuel for years in all OPE from the 1940s to modern high revving 2-stroke engines without any issues. I do use Marine Stabil in the fuel, and only buy gas 5 gallons at a time though.

My working partner will drive a long way out of his way to get E0 90+ octane gas for all his OPE and runs only the best, most expensive he can find. Me, I use 87 octane, with decent gas stabilizer in it in all my tractors and OPE. I have a 20 year old JD 425 gas, and all kinds of other older OPE and narry a problem at all. I do sometimes use Trufuel, simply because I don't use a weedeater or chainsaws enough to warrant the mixing hassle, but I still use a lot of 87 gas to mix, so it's not all the best stuff. I gave 90+ a try one whole summer at my pal's insistence and never noticed any difference at all. He still swears by the high octane stuff and I still use the low and we have 4 of the JD's between us, go figure.

My working partner will drive a long way out of his way to get E0 90+ octane gas for all his OPE and runs only the best, most expensive he can find. Me, I use 87 octane, with decent gas stabilizer in it in all my tractors and OPE. I have a 20 year old JD 425 gas, and all kinds of other older OPE and narry a problem at all. I do sometimes use Trufuel, simply because I don't use a weedeater or chainsaws enough to warrant the mixing hassle, but I still use a lot of 87 gas to mix, so it's not all the best stuff. I gave 90+ a try one whole summer at my pal's insistence and never noticed any difference at all. He still swears by the high octane stuff and I still use the low and we have 4 of the JD's between us, go figure.

Not likely to be a huge issue unless it's stored for a long time. My dad's mower was stored for almost 6 months in the winter and when he couldn't start it I saw that it had classic phase separation.

Not sure what the deal is with some equipment. I guess it may not have knock sensors or other technology to allow timing advance and 89+ is just for a margin against detonation.

My 4-stroke OPE all gets 89 Octane Ethanol free pump gas. In my case it's not about the octane rating so much as that is what is readily available. I burn about five gallons per month and it costs about $2/month more than using 87 octane E10.

As for the 2-stroke toys, mostly Stihl brand, they get 92 octane 50:1 Tru-Fuel premix. It's expensive, but I am still filling from the gallon purchased last Winter. Last year I was gifted a MTD 2-stroke snow blower that works great for lighter snowfalls. I may try mixing a gallon using the 89 octane E0 before snow season arrives as that machine definitely has an appetite for fuel.

Mower and snowblower get E10 87, my Husqvarna weed whacker so far has lived entirely on VP premix because I like the way it smells. Husqvarna recommends 87 octane and that E10 is fine, however they do state if you’re going to be running it at “continuous high revs” that a higher octane is recommended, the VP pre mix is 94.

A little 1qt can of VP pre mix lasts me about a month, and I have quite a bit I have to weed whack at full throttle.

Regular ol' e10 87 octane for all my engines. I add marine Stabil and 1 oz of TCW-3 2 cycle oil to the 5 gallon jug when I fill it up. Never an issue with OPE starting.
2-cycle leaf blower gets TruFuel 40:1. One can lasts me a couple of seasons, not worth it to me to hand mix fuel for it.

On a mower forum that I belong to , one of the members claims that by running high octane gas his mower starts quicker , runs cooler , and makes more power . :D

I've been using 90 octane E0 in all my small engines for years. E0 is only comes in 90 octane where I get it and only benefit of it is no ethanol to eat carb. parts and fuel lines. After having to change fuel lines in my at the time 2 yr old Husqvarna 455 saw I learned my lesson.
All my fuel cans are stabilized with a marine stabilizer, more concentrated and cheaper by the gallon so it goes further and with 11 small engines to care for I don't want to fool around with no start issues. Using full synth. Klotz in the 2 strokers since it gets used in one of my sleds and it's bought by the gallon.
Just had to crank up the gen. set yesterday and its sat for a year since last run. Couldn't get the choke off fast enough after hitting the starter button.

Back