Top Tier Gas a good choice for OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it looked like I brought out the usual use premium or use E0 posters, while those saying Top Tier is a marketing hype. Well, there are stricter standards Top Tier has to meet. One of then is more detergent. Which would be beneficial to OPEs. If I am going to use the gas up in a month, it would last longer than non top tier. In my area, E0 is harder to find and where it is, can be .30 to .40 more than E10. 89 octane is like .20 more than 87 and 91 or 93 runs like .30 to .40 more. Going to a top tier station is only like about the same to a couple cents more.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Well it looked like I brought out the usual use premium or use E0 posters, while those saying Top Tier is a marketing hype. Well, there are stricter standards Top Tier has to meet. One of then is more detergent. Which would be beneficial to OPEs. If I am going to use the gas up in a month, it would last longer than non top tier. In my area, E0 is harder to find and where it is, can be .30 to .40 more than E10. 89 octane is like .20 more than 87 and 91 or 93 runs like .30 to .40 more. Going to a top tier station is only like about the same to a couple cents more.

Then use top tier gas lol.

You asked the questions and the doomsday answers followed suit
smile.gif

What exactly is top tier gas? My gasbuddy app used to consider BP, Phillips 66 and Shell to be top tier.. not now.

I'm only seeing Marathon, which used to be non top tier.

We can get 90 octane recreational fuel here, but it is out back in an above ground tank and my concern with it is that the might not go thru a lot of it. I have used 93 octane e10 top tier fuel with no issues, but I wonder which would be better, the fresher fuel or the e0.

Originally Posted By: Woody71
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What exactly is top tier gas?

Top Tier Gasoline

Trust me, I am well aware of that site.

I guess my point is that there are differing facts out on the web now.

I use Top Tier gas in my OPE, if only because it's more of a nuisance to find non-Top Tier products. I'm not going on a hunt to fill a jerry can when there are three Top Tier locations within a half mile of my house.
wink.gif

I've used E10 from anywhere in my OPEs and have never had a problem.
I am using a fuel called "Magic Tank" ATM because Kroger clearanced it for a buck fifty for a half gallon.
It is E0 and is also very low volatility, low enough to be classed as combustible rather than flammable (a flash point of 100F being the dividing line between the two) and low enough that it takes a shot of either to start any engine you're running it on.
After that, the engines run great and deliver better fuel economy than what I've seen with any pump fuel.
In any event, I wouldn't worry too much about Top Tier or E0. Most OPEs just aren't that picky and their carbs aren't that troublesome as long as you use them enough at least yearly.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What exactly is top tier gas? My gasbuddy app used to consider BP, Phillips 66 and Shell to be top tier.. not now.

I'm only seeing Marathon, which used to be non top tier.

For some reason Gasbuddy is no longer designating Top Tier. It used to.

Not sure what Top Tier has to do with ethanol, though the discussion seemed to head down that road. Top Tier is a fuel additive that has nothing to do with ethanol. If one lives in an area where non ethanol fuel is readily available, one can get Top Tier E0. I usually get fuel at a local Cenex station that is run by my ag cooperative, mostly because I get a 5 cent discount by using their fuel card. While Cenex is top tier, and I can get ethanol free there, I really could care less about the top tier thing. I just buy fuel there because it is cheaper for me. I could get ethanol free at a dozen stations within 13 miles of me, and that distance is only because I live 11 miles outside of 3 of the nearest towns to me.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Not sure what Top Tier has to do with ethanol, though the discussion seemed to head down that road. Top Tier is a fuel additive that has nothing to do with ethanol. If one lives in an area where non ethanol fuel is readily available, one can get Top Tier E0. I usually get fuel at a local Cenex station that is run by my ag cooperative, mostly because I get a 5 cent discount by using their fuel card. While Cenex is top tier, and I can get ethanol free there, I really could care less about the top tier thing. I just buy fuel there because it is cheaper for me. I could get ethanol free at a dozen stations within 13 miles of me, and that distance is only because I live 11 miles outside of 3 of the nearest towns to me.
I just was thinking that the top tier additives could keep the gas from going stale quicker. In my area, I believe I have only one real gas station that sell straight gas, but I counted 6 places that sell straight gas on puregas.com, but they weren't your typical convenient store/gas station setup.

Last edited:
I've had issues on one piece of ope where ethanol seems to have destroyed rubber hose. Otherwise no real issues due to EtOH.

for cold season, no matter how empty the gas tank is you still need a quality gas with additives such Top Tier to prevent gas from gelling. Carbon deposits and clogged jets are also a concern in long term use.
I use 89 for 2 stroke and regular for 4 unless specified otherwise.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
for cold season, no matter how empty the gas tank is you still need a quality gas with additives such Top Tier to prevent gas from gelling. Carbon deposits and clogged jets are also a concern in long term use.
I use 89 for 2 stroke and regular for 4 unless specified otherwise.

Gasoline does not gel like diesel fuel. It will remain fluid (and ignite) way below any temperature the oil would still perform.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I say why not. E0 is more of a priority for me but now that my local Shell started selling E0 again I'm using it in every thing. As long as it doesn't cost you an arm and leg I'd use it.
Unless you have a lawn biz the extra cost of E0 in OPE is minimal. I use E0. I'd use it in my truck if it was a little cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The 2-stroke Stihl weed trimmer I bought last year states to use 89 octane. You can remove the ethanol quite easily from gas for small batches by using a two liter pop bottle, 93 octane, add 12 ounces of water, shake, put bottle upside down, watch in awe as the gasoline floats to the top while the ethanol and water combine to the bottom which you drain out by slower cracking the cap open. The octane level drops to about 90 from 93 when doing this.

I think the octane drops to about 80. I would not suggest what you mention.
Base gasoline for E10 is 85 octane around me. So E10 87 would go to 85 with the alcohol removed.

I mix 32:1 with Echo Blend, Red Armor or Husqvarna LS. (All are JASO FD) in my 2 stroke engines with 87 pump gas..my plugs are clean and they all start and run like they should.

In my 4 stroke push mower, tiller, riding mower and RZR.. I mix Pennzoil TCW3 at 1oz/5gallons with 87 pump gas.. all run great and no issues.

My tiller is 30 years old (troy bilt horse).. I bought it used and abused. When i got it it ran like [censored] and when it got warm it would lose power. I fed it Red Armor at 50:1 for a full tank and it runs great now. I am now using TCW3 in it with no end in sight.

The only thing i own that i didnt use 2 stroke oil in was my generator..(never thought of it to be honest). My generator had to have a new carb and new gaskets last month because they were all leaking fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back