High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20 VOA

Here's a virgin sample of High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20. Starting TBN is 13.0. It has a good bit of moly and lots of magnesium. The aluminum is from the add pack.

HPL PCMO 10W-20 VOA.jpeg

The pour point of this oil is slightly better than their 5w20. I wonder if it could be used in a cold climate in replacement of 0w20. The stability is really tempting.

I'm inclined to believe that the 0w20 is incredibly stable as well unless we want to split hairs.
I run the HPL Premium Plus PCMO 0W-20 in my wife's Jeep (V6). It uses star polymer as VII, so it is very, very shear stable. It's blended with PAO as the majority base oil.

From the various discussions over the years, there are pros/cons to using star vs. OCP depending on the application.
I thought the star polymers were about 10% better than OCP. Can you please tell me what the pros and cons are between the two? Thank you.

I thought the star polymers were about 10% better than OCP. Can you please tell me what the pros and cons are between the two? Thank you.

Thank you @The Critic, now I got some reading to do. I believe that HPL knows what it's doing when it comes to using star polymers in their top-of-the-line Premium Plus PCMO though.

This oil is a straight viscosity base oil with no VII.

Don't use pour point as a determining factor for cold weather startup. The CCS and MRV is what you want to pay attention to.
Where would you use this wgt oil?

Where would you use this wgt oil?

Where geographically? I would say south of the Mason-Dixon line is probably safe to use 10W-xx year around. A 10W-xx oil must be <7,000 cP dynamic viscosity @ -25°C (-14°F) so you're good to go down to that temperature. I prefer to go to a 5W-xx or 0W-xx oil anytime below ~0°F though, just to give a buffer.

I dropped in Figure 2 because it's misplaced in the document itself. This is but one report from a long time ago (2017) but IMO it's a good read due to the proliferation of TGDI engines.

"
RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
GMTC Test Responses
Viscosity Modifier Type Impact
It is generally understood that viscosity modifier polymer loading has a negative impact on deposit tests. To evaluate whether polymer type has an impact on the formation of turbocharger deposits in the GMTC test, Oil A with a high-level shear stable star-type polymer viscosity modifier was compared to Oil B with a mid-level shear stable olefin copolymer viscosity modifier. Figure 2 illustrates the percent TCO Temp increase of Oil A and Oil B. Temperature increase in the TCO housing occurs when deposits form, causing an insulating effect and reducing oil flow. It is typical to observe very little change in percent TCO Temp increase within the first 1200 cycles or more because protection is maintained by the additive system. Once deposits begin to accumulate, heat transfer efficiency is reduced and oil flow through the passage becomes restricted. TCO Temp increase percentages of Oil B were almost flat until end of test while those of Oil A began increasing around 1700 cycles until end of test. Both oils passed the GMTC test as measured by percent TCO Temp increase at 1800 cycles; however, Oil B appeared to maintain performance beyond the point at which Oil A began to degrade.

To further evaluate the performance of Oil A and Oil B in the GMTC test, the average turbocharger deposit merit ratings at end of test were compared. Average deposit merit rating is the average of the ratings of six areas (see Figure 1) where high temperatures are encountered and a majority of deposits form. The average merit rating of Oil B at end of test was 8.8 merits, which is one unit higher (better) than that of Oil A with 7.8 merits (Figure 3). The difference in end of test average merit rating indicates that the olefin copolymer viscosity modifier performed directionally better than the star-type polymer in the GMTC test.
Performance difference between the olefin copolymer viscosity modifier and the star-type viscosity modifier may be due to a difference in shear stability and/or chemical structure (backbone, bond saturation, and oxidation stability). The total acid number (TAN) (ASTM D-664) and oxidation level (DIN 51453) of selected new oil and used oil samples for Oil A and Oil B from the GMTC tests are listed in Table 2. Both TAN and oxidation data support that Oil A has greater tendency to form acid (e.g., polymeric acid) and exhibits lower oxidation stability, which facilitate deposit formation."

ZI-9IVW-2017-NOV00-SPI-174-2

Only if you can buy it, can’t find the 10w20 anywhere on either sight, looks like $15 a quart

Back