High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W-40 VOA

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
The previous (used) sample is Ravenol SSL which was posted in the UOA section back when it was run.

As noted in the title, this is the @High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W-40:
Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 6.23.45 PM.jpg

- 629ppm of moly (good slug, not sure as to how much is dimer vs trimer, they use both)
- A lot more magnesium, despite roughly the same level of calcium
- Very similar on phosphorous
- Virgin oxidation at 23, which points to significant ester in the base oil blend

I always wondered how an oxidation level can be so high in VOA. So high ester in the oil can lead to a high oxidation number? Thanks for the post and other than this high number it looks like solid oil.
Yes, you can see the significant oxygen in the compounds:
iu

My understanding is that this is what skews the oxidation figure.

If virgin oxidation is the only indicator of ester in the base oil blend, then I would argue that it is not significant compared to these particular RL samples:

Redline HP 5W30: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/redline-5w30-voa.334480/
Oxidation = 93

Redline Euro 5W30: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/redline-euro-5w30.326627/
Oxidation = 97
The oxidation figure doesn't correlate with the volume of ester; you can't use the oxidation number as a barometer for how much ester is in the base oil blend.

Yes, you can see the significant oxygen in the compounds:
iu

My understanding is that this is what skews the oxidation figure.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that info.

So I had to call my lab & some of what they stated on the phone today was High Oxidation levels in Oil are mostly seen in Synthetic Oils. Synthetic oils tend to have a higher starting Oxidation number. They said that synthetic absorbs more infrared lights than other types & can increase those levels.

They stated that even if an oil starts at 99 the "Increased Rate Trends" would be more important. An oil starting at 99 would still be fine as long as the levels increased with normal wear. Their analogy was oil starting at 10 & ending at 20 oxidation is the same as an oil starting from 70 & ending at 80.

Basically, what I'm learning is your 23 number is not important & the "rate increase" is the important part. So oil on my friend...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that info.

So I had to call my lab & some of what they stated on the phone today was High Oxidation levels in Oil are mostly seen in Synthetic Oils. Synthetic oils tend to have a higher starting Oxidation number. They said that synthetic absorbs more infrared lights than other types & can increase those levels.

They stated that even if an oil starts at 99 the "Increased Rate Trends" would be more important. An oil starting at 99 would still be fine as long as the levels increased with normal wear. Their analogy was oil starting at 10 & ending at 20 oxidation is the same as an oil starting from 70 & ending at 80.

Basically, what I'm learning is your 23 number is not important & the "rate increase" is the important part. So oil on my friend...
Exactly!

So this is why it's important to have a baseline. If virgin is 23, then it wouldn't make sense to flag oxidation in the used oil at 30, as that's only a small increase. If virgin is 3.3, that's a whole other story.

Virgin on the previous oil, Ravenol, was 9, and it ended at 27, that's why it is flagged.

Exactly!

So this is why it's important to have a baseline. If virgin is 23, then it wouldn't make sense to flag oxidation in the used oil at 30, as that's only a small increase. If virgin is 3.3, that's a whole other story.

Virgin on the previous oil, Ravenol, was 9, and it ended at 27, that's why it is flagged.

Got it! All great points.

Back