2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4L HPL Super Car 0W-40 - 9,795km

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
As the title states, this is the most recent UOA from my Grand Cherokee using @High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W-40. The previous run is Ravenol SSL 0W-40.

Engine is breaking in nicely, iron per 1,000km dropped more than in half from the previous UOA, going from 7ppm/1,000km to 3ppm/1,000km.

BL is the Super Car 0W-40, so this oil. (I don't have a Ravenol baseline from OAI, that was from Toromont CAT, before I switched labs).

Copper is coming down as well.

Viscosity held up very well, there's a bit of fuel dilution. TBN and nitration both took a good hit, and there's a bit of oxidation there too.
Jeep SRT UOA Jun 6 2023.jpg

Looks good. Cu is coming down, fuel dilution is low, and KV100 in range. The oxidation is up a bit. TBN is still plenty strong.
Yup, I'm surprised at how low the fuel dilution is for a performance-oriented engine with huge bores. KV100 held up extremely well (much better than the Ravenol), oxidation did jump out at me a bit, I'm taking away that these engines aren't super easy on oil.

How many months was the oil in use for? Perhaps I missed that. Previous report had a severity score of 2 and this one is a 4.

How many months was the oil in use for? Perhaps I missed that. Previous report had a severity score of 2 and this one is a 4.
Oil was in service from June 26th, 2022 to May 27th, 2023, so 11 months.

The severity score is based on the oxidation, which is skewed upward by the virgin oxidation that you can see in the baseline sample. Basically, oxidation increased by 13.

As the title states, this is the most recent UOA from my Grand Cherokee using @High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W-40. The previous run is Ravenol SSL 0W-40.

Engine is breaking in nicely, iron per 1,000km dropped more than in half from the previous UOA, going from 7ppm/1,000km to 3ppm/1,000km.

BL is the Super Car 0W-40, so this oil. (I don't have a Ravenol baseline from OAI, that was from Toromont CAT, before I switched labs).

Copper is coming down as well.

Viscosity held up very well, there's a bit of fuel dilution. TBN and nitration both took a good hit, and there's a bit of oxidation there too.
View attachment 159816
May we see some pics of this beast? :)

Yup, I'm surprised at how low the fuel dilution is for a performance-oriented engine with huge bores. KV100 held up extremely well (much better than the Ravenol), oxidation did jump out at me a bit, I'm taking away that these engines aren't super easy on oil.
Can you get baseline oxidation #s from @High Performance Lubricants for your batch of oil? Esters will definitely drive that up… not sure if you had VOA for it but it would be a good reference.

Edit:NM, saw virgin oxidation was 23. 👍🏻

The severity score is based on the oxidation, which is skewed upward by the virgin oxidation that you can see in the baseline sample. Basically, oxidation increased by 13.
There is nothing wrong with the oxidation level. I like OA but I think it's silly that they flagged it, as severe, if it starts at 23. This was a great run on this 0w-40. Do you plan continued use of this HPL Supercar oil?

There is nothing wrong with the oxidation level. I like OA but I think it's silly that they flagged it, as severe, if it starts at 23. This was a great run on this 0w-40. Do you plan continued use of this HPL Supercar oil?
Yup, absolutely, these products are top-notch. Dave is a total class act and just overall a fantastic person, I definitely want to keep supporting him and his company.

It's nice to see a 0w40 actually remain a 0w40. High quality VII HPL uses. (y)
In a non-fuel diluter like this NA V8, yep. I noted in my last UOA I saw a much lower drop in viscosity than I normally do (from primarily fuel dilution BUT there has to be some shearing going on too) b/c of the high quality VII in the HPL Euro 5W40 - it's why Dave told me not to use the no-VII...the 40W with good VII trumps the no-VII 30W basically.

Last edited:

Trying to understand the oxidation numbers.

Sounds like it's a relative measurement and the rate of change is what to consider since the starting point can significantly vary from oil to oil ... No?

If yes, what are the acceptable range of oxidation levels in a fresh oil? Can a fresh oil have too much to begin with? Also like in your case, how can a UOA determine if the oxidation is too high without knowing the starting point? sounds like they are looking at the absolute number and treating it like for example starting viscosity numbers which have a specified range and caped or bounded.

Trying to understand the oxidation numbers.

Sounds like it's a relative measurement and the rate of change is what to consider since the starting point can significantly vary from oil to oil ... No?
Yes, it's the degree of deviation from baseline that we are concerned with, not the overall number. And yes, it varies considerably oil to oil depending on the base oil composition.
If yes, what are the acceptable range of oxidation levels in a fresh oil? Can a fresh oil have too much to begin with?
There's no acceptable range. The oil could be 0, it could be 130. An oil with esters in the base oil blend with naturally show higher virgin oxidation as an artifact of that fact. So, on the 2nd point, no, you can't have too much to begin with.
Also like in your case, how can a UOA determine if the oxidation is too high without knowing the starting point?
That's why you need the starting point, otherwise you can't. That's why it's critical to have a baseline sample as your reference.
sounds like they are looking at the absolute number and treating it like for example starting viscosity numbers which have a specified range and caped or bounded.
Yes, for some reason they didn't do a relative measure, I could contact them and have them fix it, but I'm not sure if it is worthwhile since ultimately I'm the one interpreting the results for my equipment.

Thanks @OVERKILL

Based on what you are saying, their comments and the "critical" flag can scare the average Joe not having your knowledge. Also not fair to the oil company. You would think they should know better!

Back