Redline 5w30 VOA

1606255327489.jpeg

TBN seems to be lower than I recall. Did the formula change?
The other additive levels seem unchanged though.

TBN seems to be lower than I recall. Did the formula change?
The other additive levels seem unchanged though.
Not sure. They flagged it as critical because of silicon and sodium. I know Redline uses a little more silicon as a anti-foaming agent I’m just not sure what is average. And no idea about sodium. Any thoughts?

Redline’s motto could be “the more things change-the more they stay the same.” I think the additive package has remained similar-consistent-relatively unchanged since the beginning of bitog many moons ago.

"Best" oil money can buy for commercial cars which are driven normally, driven with spirit and tracked. Just the price that kills me and the fact that oils that are less than half the price if not more give the same UOA results. . .

"Best" oil money can buy for commercial cars which are driven normally, driven with spirit and tracked. Just the price that kills me and the fact that oils that are less than half the price if not more give the same UOA results. . .
How can it be the best is it gives the same results as other oils at half the price.

How can it be the best is it gives the same results as other oils at half the price.
Because people are continually trying to prove an oil is better or best based on a UOA just as this poster is doing. All the while they ignore the fact that there is no discernible statistically significant difference between any appropriately rated oil based on UOA.

A UOA shows much more how the engine is operating in the specific conditions under which it is being operated rather than anything about the oil.

We see it all the time on here. People post UOA and then go on to sing the praises of that brand or grade, or later refer to that UOA as proof of future performance in someone else’s engine or application. If you follow the science none of that is valid.

Last edited:
Standard test method for TBN determination in virgin oil is D2896.
The test method in report was D4739 which is used to determine TBN for oil in service and therefore the result is grossly understated.
Virgin RL 5W-30 is known to have TBN around 10.

Here’s my UOA to compare

Interesting, this seems like a more modern/SN friendly formulation with higher magnesium and lower calcium than what the OP posted. It would be interesting to know production dates of the actual oil, because the high Ca seems like it should be an older formulation.

Back