VOA M1 EP HM 5W30 Triple Action Plus

PDS lists the viscosity as 10.0. This sample came in at 10.3. TBN is typical of modern oils at ~6.5ish. Oxidation is at 8. As I mentioned in the last VOA I posted of Castrol Edge, Lake Speed says a bump in oxidation in high mileage oils indicates presence of esters as additional seal conditioners. I don't know what the oxidation value of the non-HM version of this oil is, though. I like the bump in moly over previous versions of M1 and the increase in Mg to offset the decrease in Ca. Looks like one of the finest HM oils out there.
M1EPHM5W30TriplePlus.jpg

Usually when Mobil does a major reformulation, they use it across the board other than a few specific European grades. As we've seen so far from M1 EP Triple, 0w40 SP and M1 5w30 ESP VOAs, the oxidation value is now 10 or under. Boron is lower as well. Moly seems a tad higher in this HM formulation vs the regular. So, there is most likely something exotic in these oils that does not show up in a VOA.

Or you can go with what many YT'ers are saying about these new grades which is they are garbage, cheapened and lack additives.

Last edited:
Usually when Mobil does a major reformulation, they use it across the board other than a few specific European grades. As we've seen so far from M1 EP Triple, 0w40 SP and M1 5w30 ESP VOAs, the oxidation value is now 10 or under. Boron is lower as well. Moly seems a tad higher in this HM formulation vs the regular. So, there is most likely something exotic in these oils that does not show up in a VOA.

Or you can go with what many YT'ers are saying about these new grades which is they are garbage, cheapened and lack additives.
Those Youtubers don't know what they are talking about.

The fact that BN tested at or above what the pdf shows is great 👍. A bump in oxidation, on HM oils, may indicate an intention to have a cleaning action aspect. The 5ppm Al is interesting. Calcium and Magnesium is balanced evenly. I've watched more of speeds videos and have grown to appreciate his content. Thanks for doing this test.

Mobil One oils have demonstrated a history of effectiveness in cleaning and maintaining a high level of ester in their oil. However, it is important to consider that we lack substantial evidence to support the notion that their oil aids in post reformation cleaning.

While I am a fan of Mobil One, it is crucial to apply the same level of scrutiny to all other oils available. I personally believe that this approach is not the most effective way to proceed, despite Mobil One's well documented track record in this regard.

Back