2023 High Mileage Oil comparison

We now have 4 VOAs of the most modern formulas of popular High Mileage oils in my VOA Database. I've isolated them out for easy comparison for your viewing pleasure.
HM Comparison.jpg

All 4 VOAs are from Oil Analyzers, which happens to test for Oxidation. Oxidation, according to Lake Speed of Speediagnostix, can be an indicator of esters added as seal conditioners in HM oils.

The last 2 lines (Pour Point and VI) are taken from PDS sheets.

The only major off the shelf brands I'm missing are SuperTech and Quaker State. I'm out of sample containers and I've already spent ~$120 on three of the four VOAs listed above. I would be very grateful if anyone wanted to contribute VOAs for the newest ST and Quaker State HM 5W30s (from Oil Analyzers for more direct comparison)! The Dexos 1 Gen 3 versions.

Enjoy.

That Valvoline looks really stout!
I'd like the oxidation to be a little higher and the pour point to be a little lower, but otherwise it looks great. I personally think the M1 EP HM is slightly better as a "high mileage" oil, in terms of it's seal conditioning and ability to slow seal leaks.

I'd like the oxidation to be a little higher and the pour point to be a little lower, but otherwise it looks great. I personally think the M1 EP HM is slightly better as a "high mileage" oil, in terms of it's seal conditioning and ability to slow seal leaks.
The Mobil 1 HM 5-30 stopped my 01 Ford 150 with 160k from leaking out the front and rear main seals. Hasn't leaked since 2012. I use ST 5-30 HM or Kirkland 5-30. these days.

I liked HM oils when they were visibly different from regular oils - visc. around 12cst, lot more detergents and anti-wear additives.
Now, they look the exact same and we have to trust they have enhanced ingredients in them.

What's the secret sauce for Pennzoil? It seems "low" on just about everything presented here. Polymer ad pack?

I liked HM oils when they were visibly different from regular oils - visc. around 12cst, lot more detergents and anti-wear additives.
Now, they look the exact same and we have to trust they have enhanced ingredients in them.
Apparently the bump in oxidation is tangible evidence. From what I understand, typical synthetic (non-HM) oils have a virgin oxidation value around 4 or less. This link should jump you to the part of the video where this is discussed:

So the only real downside to HM oils is that their ester content for seal conditioning also causes them to oxidize faster?

Does that mean HM oils should probably not be pushed for as long of an OCI as with their non-HM counterparts?

So the only real downside to HM oils is that their ester content for seal conditioning also causes them to oxidize faster?

Does that mean HM oils should probably not be pushed for as long of an OCI as with their non-HM counterparts?
I'm not sure it works that way. I'd guess you need the virgin oxidation value to compare to the used oxidation value and take the difference to calculate oxidation. So a higher starting oxidation value does not necessarily mean the oil starts off more "used up" if it was blended with lots of esters. I'm no tribologist, though, so maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

We now have 4 VOAs of the most modern formulas of popular High Mileage oils in my VOA Database. I've isolated them out for easy comparison for your viewing pleasure.
View attachment 171574

All 4 VOAs are from Oil Analyzers, which happens to test for Oxidation. Oxidation, according to Lake Speed of Speediagnostix, can be an indicator of esters added as seal conditioners in HM oils.

The last 2 lines (Pour Point and VI) are taken from PDS sheets.

The only major off the shelf brands I'm missing are SuperTech and Quaker State. I'm out of sample containers and I've already spent ~$120 on three of the four VOAs listed above. I would be very grateful if anyone wanted to contribute VOAs for the newest ST and Quaker State HM 5W30s (from Oil Analyzers for more direct comparison)! The Dexos 1 Gen 3 versions.

Enjoy.
Would you be able to add Walmart SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 to the grid above,
as that is the only oil I'm currently using.

Happen to have a part number for that? Can't find it...\
Well that can be a problem with RA website. Can't find it today. In fact the last two times I've tried to use their website to order the place to put in their discount code just seems to never come up for me and their customer service was useless.

Here's another one https://partshawk.com/wix-24382-engine-oil-filter-kit.html

But since RA's website is not being user friendly perhaps these folks can help you out!

Last edited:
Back