High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

HPL EC as a Topoff ?
Acquired a Toyota 2ZR-FE at 100K that was burning 1qt/2000mi.
After a long (40K) steady diet of M1 EP 0W-20 (not HM) w.8-10K OCI's, I reduced burning to ~0.5qt/3K
I'm early on another OCI.
Will a lesser amount of EC provide "some" solvency, even if not at the suggested ratio?

So I got an order of one quart that should be arriving next week. I did some reading on the recommended ratio of 1 to 5 quarts which is 20% substitution amount of HPL EC to motor oil.

In my situation my car takes 3.9 quarts (I normally fill to 4 quarts since its a small difference) Would it be safe if just use 3 quarts of motor oil and add the full quart of HPL EC?

Or should I just add 0.8 quarts of HPL EC to 3.2 quarts of motor oil to be on the safe side?

I plan to run this through the full standard 5k mile oil change interval before completely transitioning to HPL PCMO.

So I got an order of one quart that should be arriving next week. I did some reading on the recommended ratio of 1 to 5 quarts which is 20% substitution amount of HPL EC to motor oil.

In my situation my car takes 3.9 quarts (I normally fill to 4 quarts since its a small difference) Would it be safe if just use 3 quarts of motor oil and add the full quart of HPL EC?

Or should I just add 0.8 quarts of HPL EC to 3.2 quarts of motor oil to be on the safe side?

I plan to run this through the full standard 5k mile oil change interval before completely transitioning to HPL PCMO.
3.9qt(32 oz/qt)(.20) = 25oz

I'll stick with the safe side then, going with 3.2 quarts of oil and 0.8 quarts of HPL EC for a total of 4 quarts. Mind as well use the remaining 0.2 quarts of EC and left over new oil for topping off when inspecting the filter half way. Thanks for the replies.

I'll stick with the safe side then, going with 3.2 quarts of oil and 0.8 quarts of HPL EC for a total of 4 quarts. Mind as well use the remaining 0.2 quarts of EC and left over new oil for topping off when inspecting the filter half way. Thanks for the replies.
That's what I'm doing with the Daughters CRV, Sons Forte and my Accord. About 3/4qt EC in each.

Daughters 227k CRV has 3k on it now since last OC with the EC30. I want to change the filter tomorrow since she just came home from school. Forte getting close to 2k, Accord only 1k I think.

All 3 had BG EPR flushes last year so I'm not too worried about filters being loaded BUT, I am curious and want to get one open.

I bought the 6 pack so will probably do it again on next change with full qt. After that, I'm not up for full HPL changes (yet) so will probably get a 6 pack of the HPL PCMO and use a qt in each with whatever flavor oil I do. Current stash is mostly PP 5W-20 I got on sale.

Yep I have my BG oil service kit ready too, I'm about a few hundred miles away from my next oil change which should be next week.

I'm gonna remove my old filter to inspect the media dirtiness differences before/after the using BG EPR flush with a new YZZN1 filter then refill with new remaining stock of Valvoline 5w-30 FS HM Maxlife oil + EC 30 and new oversized YZZD3 filter on then replace half way at 2000-2500 miles. I'm debating on leaving out the BG MOA since I don't want to risk any additive clash with the HPL EC.

My 2012 Yaris Sedan doesn't consume oil yet at 137,000 miles though I prefer to invest in preventative action, which is why these new HPL motor oils are interesting to me. Once I move into the new oils I'll be using the stashed oversized Fram filters from here on out to see if they make a big difference from the Toyota OEM filters in terms of oil cleanliness.

The car see most of its life since purchased 80-90% on the freeway since my daily work commute is 100 miles round trip. As much abuse and long endurance driving that car takes I'm quite surprised that tiny 1NZ-FE engine hasn't given me problems yet so the best I can do is treat it proper with good oil and filtration.

I'll take pics of my progress on the HPL oil transition including the fill cap hole varnish removal progress and oil filter autopsies .

20230920_182104.jpg
20231004_171236.jpg

The car see most of its life since purchased 80-90% on the freeway since my daily work commute is 100 miles round trip. As much abuse and long endurance driving that car takes I'm quite surprised that tiny 1NZ-FE engine hasn't given me problems yet so the best I can do is treat it proper with good oil and filtration.
Abuse? Those driving conditions are about as close to perfect as a person could hope for. That's not abuse at all, unless you're doing something really crazy the remaining time. That engine should last hundreds of thousands of miles with proper maintenance.

My definition of abuse may vary from you. Driving 80-90 MPH on the freeway in a night drive to home when there is no traffic. Excessive idling and low speed driving occurring whenever I'm forced to squeeze through traffic backing caused by accidents on the highway. Toyota states over 2 hours of high speed driving at 80% of the vehicle maximum is a severe condition, however that may vary country to country.

I do keep on top of my maintenance, however most important is having parts replaced on time before they fail which I have an extensive excel sheet logging all the DIY maintenance event, part replaced, oil and fluid changes since owning the car. My goal is if I can get the car to last over 500K miles in my lifetime. Its my second car coming from a 94 Honda Accord that lasted 270K miles and absolutely love how self service friendly this Toyota is compared to the former Honda.

I know this car is still fairly young for how far these engines can go with good maintenance. Since I'm still under 200K miles I'm curious to make it a project to see how clean the engine can get on HPL oils by the time I reach that mileage.

It took me a while to get used to knowing the 1NZFE is naturally high revving compared to my former F22B2 engine so i'm quite curious on monitoring the reliability of it as it ages.

Arrived on time, just before a long road trip this weekend, decided to just do this early at 4500 miles.

20231010_121032.jpg

20231010_105219.jpg
20231010_105451.jpg

Oil color on dipstick and fill port view before I ran the BG EPR for about 20 minutes. This stuff smells like acetone, the used oil came out darker than usual.

20231010_130648.jpg

The HPL EC30 looks like the same color hue consistency as the BG MOA, without the strong odor in comparison. Added 0.8 Quarts and 3.2 Quarts of the remaining Valvoline full synthetic high mileage max life oil and a final can of BG MOA before capping the fill port.

20231010_142355.jpg

See you guys in 3000 miles if have time to inspect the filter or the next oil change since I put on the larger Toyota YZZD3 oil filter for some service headroom in case things in life get too busy. And oh I have no idea what to do with those nice HPL stickers they sent me, might slap it on the rear bumper or something.

This engine runs really clean which looking at the dipstick before and after the BG EPR flush, Engine and acceleration feels slightly more zoomy on the accelerator after the oil change. Looking to get a borescope and filter cutter later to show some autopsies and progress of varnish removal.

Last edited:
I’m seeing that this product is recommended for a short OCI of 2 to 3K. Would there be an issue running a quart of this with 5 quarts of oil for a normal 5 or 6K OCI?

I’m seeing that this product is recommended for a short OCI of 2 to 3K. Would there be an issue running a quart of this with 5 quarts of oil for a normal 5 or 6K OCI?
No, just keep an eye on oil level.

Shorter OCIs are sensible if you expect the engine is very dirty, so that the filter is not overwhelmed. If you know the engine has been well-cared for, there’s no issue to 5-6k OCI/FCI.

Reactions: pbm
Or 95% of vehicles owned or frequently driven by our significant others 😱
Mine has small feet and can’t apply smooth consistent throttle. On off on off on off. She can’t help it but I also can’t help but think about what that is doing to the driveline components over time.

I kind of wonder if this effect is to blame for at least some of the bias. I wish car makers made throttle pedals more adjustable.

That's what I'm doing with the Daughters CRV, Sons Forte and my Accord. About 3/4qt EC in each.

Daughters 227k CRV has 3k on it now since last OC with the EC30. I want to change the filter tomorrow since she just came home from school. Forte getting close to 2k, Accord only 1k I think.

All 3 had BG EPR flushes last year so I'm not too worried about filters being loaded BUT, I am curious and want to get one open.

I bought the 6 pack so will probably do it again on next change with full qt. After that, I'm not up for full HPL changes (yet) so will probably get a 6 pack of the HPL PCMO and use a qt in each with whatever flavor oil I do. Current stash is mostly PP 5W-20 I got on sale.
I don't know if this should go here or in the filters cut open thread? This is the XG7317 with 3k on it of EC30 and M1 from the 227k CRV. I kept wrapping the filter a bunch of times. I see some black specks that I presume is carbon. By the look of it I'm not to worried about using a full qt of EC30 on next change. She'll probably be home for Thanksgiving next so will probably just change her oil then anyway (and winter tire install). Whatever mileage that is I'll do the same and post it.
IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

Back