High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

I think the notion that you can't get any better than just running XYZ oil that has it's own cleaning properties is a bit overplayed here on BITOG. You can always do better. Your engine will always have some deposits. The real question is always - does it matter. I think it's always better to have less than more deposits. I've run the engine flushes in my Sportwagen a number of times, for $10 it just can't hurt and can only help. Curious on this product as it's a bit different than a idle for 10min type flush.
I agree. Clearly, oils vary in their ability to clean or keep clean. There are minimum performance standards and then there are oils that exceed those standards.

Wayne saw a lot of cleaning on what he had thought was a clean engine when he ran @High Performance Lubricants oil.

His thread was interesting.

It was Wayne's experience that sparked my interest in trying HPL's oil. I bet their cleaner is even more effective.

I ran a quart of this cleaner through my MIL's GM 3800 V6 and this was the result...

I added 450 mL (about 1/2 quart) of the HPL cleaner to my 2012 Frontier V6 and drove about 300 miles to Albert Lea Mn.(mostly highway) and back before changing oil and filter. Now, I am a frequent changer of oil and filters, but I couldn't believe the dark oil and the thickened black oil that came out of the oil filter.

The prior oil that was in there was my full synthetic SPF-5W30 WTR formula which contained a number of cleaners, and had about 3,500 miles on it.

Being a frequent changer, I though my engine would be spotless internally, but there were carbon deposits in there somewhere that not even my formula removed. The HPL engine cleaner apparently swept up those deposits and put them in suspension.

The new oil that went in is HPL's top tier 5W30 purchased from them.

So, there you have one user's experience with this engine cleaner.

That seals it.. I'm getting this.

I am liking it is designed to do well on long drives. I had previously put in a bottle of Ceratec from Liqui Moly. I can't tell if it did anything, maybe it did, sure, but it maybe didn't 🤷 made my oil a weird shiny color.

I'm getting a quart and will likely top off my oil with it.

Would this product be suitable for a long interval, such as 10k? I have some customers who would benefit from this product and my initial thought was to substitute 1 qt of oil with 1 qt of HPL Engine Flush.

EDIT:
Just ordered a case. Will find some candidates and report back with results. Perhaps I will send the filters to @53' Stude for analysis when the time comes.

Last edited:
I added 450 mL (about 1/2 quart) of the HPL cleaner to my 2012 Frontier V6 and drove about 300 miles to Albert Lea Mn.(mostly highway) and back before changing oil and filter. Now, I am a frequent changer of oil and filters, but I couldn't believe the dark oil and the thickened black oil that came out of the oil filter.

The prior oil that was in there was my full synthetic SPF-5W30 WTR formula which contained a number of cleaners, and had about 3,500 miles on it.

Being a frequent changer, I though my engine would be spotless internally, but there were carbon deposits in there somewhere that not even my formula removed. The HPL engine cleaner apparently swept up those deposits and put them in suspension.

The new oil that went in is HPL's top tier 5W30 purchased from them.

So, there you have one user's experience with this engine cleaner.
Thank you Mola for the report. We always enjoy the feedback.

It is blended to keep the ester concentration in a safe area for elastomers if used at the ratio we recommend. I believe RDY4WAR ran a 5000 mile interval. He can correct me if that is not correct. Based on the pictures of filters I would recommend a filter change or 2 during that extended drain.
Thank you. So, a 5:1 ratio is the recommendation.

- Do you expect this product to work better with certain types of oil (e.g. synthetic vs conventional)?
- Would this product work better with fresh oil vs used oil?
- Aside from filter clogging, what are some potential ramifications of using this product for "too long?"

We use an ester at a safe treat rate not a solvent. So aside feom filter plugging the concern would be elastomer compatibility. Good there. Next the largest thing to worry about would be in a severely sludged engine. If you dissolve more material than the oil can handle it would likely precipitate out. In that case having a fresh charge of oil would help as you would have an “empty sponge” to absorb the material cleaned. Deposits tend to be acidic and contain metals that could have a negative catalytic effect on the oil. That is something to consider. My thought is even though it should be safe to 10,000 miles there would be more benefits to limit the cleaner interval to 5,000 miles

Over the years there were a lot of people looking for a product that could be used as a maintenance dose over the entire OCI vs. a cleaner. Then there were people that wanted to use a cleaner and follow up with a maintenance dose to keep things clean. Having said that can this product be used as a maintenance dose to keep a clean engine clean? If so at what treat rate, and can it be used for a full OCI? As a maintenance dose will it impact the winter rating of the oil? EG bumping a 5W30 to a 10W30? Thanks

Over the years there were a lot of people looking for a product that could be used as a maintenance dose over the entire OCI vs. a cleaner. Then there were people that wanted to use a cleaner and follow up with a maintenance dose to keep things clean. Having said that can this product be used as a maintenance dose to keep a clean engine clean? If so at what treat rate, and can it be used for a full OCI? As a maintenance dose will it impact the winter rating of the oil? EG bumping a 5W30 to a 10W30? Thanks
I’m curious what HPL has to say (he’s at work, of course, while I’m home sick) but I would suggest just running his oil for the whole OCI, as it’s formulated to protect seals while still having esters. All formulated and balanced from the bottle, no worries about treat rate or OCI. @wwillson experience with how well HPL cleaned was very interesting to me.

In the cleaning oil we only use ester for cleaning. The thought here is we want a slow controlled clean. The viscosity is 5w20/30 border so it will not throw either a Xw20 or Xw30 out of grade.

Once clean if using our oils you will receive the benefit of both ester as well as alkylated naphthalene for a fair price. The engine oils will actually clean more and are are more thermally stable and formulated to be capable of extended drains should you choose to do so.

David

I’m curious what HPL has to say (he’s at work, of course, while I’m home sick) but I would suggest just running his oil for the whole OCI, as it’s formulated to protect seals while still having esters. All formulated and balanced from the bottle, no worries about treat rate or OCI. @wwillson experience with how well HPL cleaned was very interesting to me.
Feel better! The product I was referring to was their cleaner. IIRC it is a straight 30 grade. I was wondering if it could be used for a full OCI in a small dose, as a maintenance dose. EG 2-3 ounces/quart, added to your favorite oil, so 10-15 ounces in a 5 quart sump, or something along those lines.

Feel better! The product I was referring to was their cleaner. IIRC it is a straight 30 grade. I was wondering if it could be used for a full OCI in a small dose, as a maintenance dose. EG 2-3 ounces/quart, added to your favorite oil, so 10-15 ounces in a 5 quart sump, or something along those lines.
That may be what I am doing. I just had my oil and filter changed on the 9th, but it has already endured at least 1500 miles of high speed, in the rain, driving. Both long highway and short trips.. my oil filter had a strange color thanks to an additive called MoS2 .. I also added LiquiMoly Ceratec, which has a strange almost like cinnamon cream color to it.. I've also previously added in Restore!, which I was not happy about.

Part of my motivation to go to Illinois tomorrow (I probably can. Then promptly hit the road) is to clean up this crazy cocktail of additives, all which had the goal of reducing friction, above and beyond whatever mystery oil my shop installed would do. It was likely not needed, and I suspect that the Ceratec in particular may have built up in places or shouldn't. My aggressive driving also at one point yielded what I can only believe was the Restore! product being blasted loose, which looks like the dreaded glitter oil. You have glitter oil, you either have bearings dying, or the Restore! (horrible product, do not recommend) is coming out in the same way cooling system stop leak (again, gold flakes) would look in coolant. That particularly unnerving sight has since been rectified, my oil filter also showed no evidence of bearing material.

Apologies on the rant, but. As I sit here waiting on my pay, I would have been headed north by now and well on my way.. it is my intention to use the product in the way you pondered in your post, demarpaint. A maintenance dose, if you will. My fuel is healthily dosed with a high PEA content additive, you waste it if you used too much, gas tank on E so great time to put it in... Gumout Regane, 2 bottles since on below 1/4 tank. PEA does the deep scrubbing of the fuel system. Full tank when direct deposit comes in.

It is in the same way, this excellent product - which appears to have the benefit of a Seafoam like application as well, if I read that post correctly - should really make my oil filter actually do some work, it was commented that my oil looked clean a couple of months ago but things have been moving so fast and yes, I've had to drive 100mph or so more than once to make time, see the thread driving like maniacs (I did so at night on wide open highways where the only threat was to me, via police, alas, none. Still should not have but. There it is) that with the addition of a sub-par additive cocktail, I got the Ceratec for free and additive does no good on a shelf when your car drives coast to coast every month, sometimes twice, thousands of miles...... I am looking forward to cleaning.

Perhaps a problem was created where none exists. This is possible.

Quick update, Dave from High Performance Lubricants reached out to me, and offered to give me a tour of the plant! I am humbled and thankful. Merry Christmas to me! I just may take him up on that, too. I love things of a technical nature. I am proud of every little detail, performance enhancements, quality tires, etc etc on my limited selection of vehicles and, safety first, if I did not head out tonight one last time before resting, I would not have discovered that I have a passenger side low beam out on my car. This makes me leary of driving at night, you would expect a heavy police presence at least when the sun goes down on major interstate roads, as that is when people start to drink and then may drive home, for those who celebrate tomorrow's wonderful and glorious events, especially those here but by the grace. This is a big deal. I read of all the tales of how folks drive, where, how crazy etc.. one headlight should make you a sitting duck, as far as a target. I've made a resolution, to drive and never get stopped again, for personal reasons. Therefore, driving tonight is out (unless I drive with high beams. Thinking about it. But safety first, as my profession instills safety in everything we do, that 100-110mph business to get to work from hundreds of miles away can stay between us. Not to be repeated.)

I just may save an oil filter or 2 or 3 or 4 for some more cut-opens, that is a different venture of a media nature and beyond the scope of this discussion.. although, all I am saying is, I do not have the means to start with a fresh oil fill. ~2000 miles into oil changed on the 9th, holding moly additives in suspension, mixed with Seafoam cleanings (intake, also water) and added to because I suspect an oil leak.. means I will monitor my oil level, see of it darkens quickly as color has been thrown off the last two oil changes thanks to the Liqui and Lubro Moly products, and if I can tell a difference, placebo effect is a real thing but I am excited for this product.

This company's offer is outstanding.. can only offer nothing but praise so far. Good people here. And I am sure a fine product.

I can go out of my way 100 miles to get it, that is nothing. I just need my headlight, so.. hurry up, morning!

Good morning High Performance Lubricants! I had to make a decision this morning and I was originally going to come by and get the product and then drive, but I wanted to update you that my itinerary put me going and opposite direction with slightly too great of a distance in slightly too tight of a time frame to stop by today.. I still may stop by before the end of the year but I will probably go on your website and utilize the shipping and maybe by 2 that way and then to in person or something like that.

What types of shipping do you offer, what would be your fastest and then second fastest and then normal option for shipping?

I am still super excited to see the factory and see how it is made and I really look forward to using your product update to that I have to go meet with my family for the special holiday and then I can bend call and do everything that we talked about!

Back