High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

Thank you. I figured something was in it to make it smell so good, It was pretty noticeable when I drained the oil.
I took a quick whiff out of the HPL PCMO 5w-30 bottles and the smell is certainly sweet and fruit like. I stained a shop towel with a bit of it and over night my workbench linger a pleasant odor from the oil.

Just don't get idea of using motor oil as a cologne substitute lol.

High Performance Armani 5W-30

I'll be doing a couple of job interviews this month, maybe I can try it out as a thought experiment and put some on my armpits of my undershirts. Fingers crossed.

26 months since I posted this after finding all this sludge in my engine. It honestly looks worse than I even remember it. However the engine is at 254k miles now (40k miles more than when I replaced the valve cover. It uses maybe half a qt in 5k miles and runs like new still. Unfortunately I wasn't able to try HPL because of the cost of shipping it to Canada.
I need more 0W-20, not sure how much driving you do, but if you wanted to work out a deal for shipping, I could talk to Dave? I was spoiled on my last procurement because @Rand was able to bring it up.

Looking at the VOA of the HPL EC30, there's a good dose of Ca, 3200 ppm. Would there be any issues running this with older API SM/SN oils that has a primary/higher Ca dosage of 2200-2500 ppm? Or would a SN+/SP oil be a better match with the lower Ca and higher Mg package? I still have SM/SN oil in my stash.

It's for a 2000 Grand Caravan 3.8, and no special oil requirements for this engine.

Looking at the VOA of the HPL EC30, there's a good dose of Ca, 3200 ppm. Would there be any issues running this with older API SM/SN oils that has a primary/higher Ca dosage of 2200-2500 ppm? Or would a SN+/SP oil be a better match with the lower Ca and higher Mg package? I still have SM/SN oil in my stash.

It's for a 2000 Grand Caravan 3.8, and no special oil requirements for this engine.
There won't be any issues.

I need more 0W-20, not sure how much driving you do, but if you wanted to work out a deal for shipping, I could talk to Dave? I was spoiled on my last procurement because @Rand was able to bring it up.
I would be up for that, if I didn't already have a stockpile of 4 gallons of m1 0w40. That's a lot for me, but they seemed to be going on sale less frequently, so the last few times I saw it go on sale I bought a gallon again. I won't be running low again until the summer, but if we're both needing some then I would be interested.
I won't put the good stuff in my wife's Hyundai because we don't go over 3-4k miles on it and I use 5w30 since it's potentially still covered for rod bearing failure.
I appreciate the offer though. I would be up for treating the Silverado to the really good stuff, since I'm less worried about fuel dilution on it vs the carbureted Oldsmobile or GDI Hyundai.

Possibly a stupid question

What would clean better? 20% EC or 20%pcmo mixed with off the shelf oil.

I know people say the pcmo cleans better but I think they were talking about 100% pcmo vs diluted EC

An stupider question:
What would happen if you ran 100% EC instead of oil? Swollen seals?

I know people say the pcmo cleans better but I think they were talking about 100% pcmo vs diluted EC

An stupider question:
Both products have been formulated to be safe and effective when following HPL’s recommendation. Why would you want to deviate from known, safe recommendations? Just wondering.

Both products have been formulated to be safe and effective when following HPL’s recommendation. Why would you want to deviate from known, safe recommendations? Just wondering.

Morbid curiosity
Edit: because EC is $15 a quart and pcmo is $11/qt

So do I have to call mary jane to get answers to my stupid questions

Last edited:
Morbid curiosity
Edit: because EC is $15 a quart and pcmo is $11/qt

So do I have to call mary jane to get answers to my stupid questions
I believe PCMO cleans better when used full strength because it has ANs as well. EC is concentrated. The way I see it, 1qt EC diluted to 20% would clean better the PCMO diluted to 20%. PCMO at 100% would clean better than EC at 20%. I would not run EC 100%.

20% EC will clean better than 20% PCMO. I recommend using the code BITOG15FLUSH to get one quart of PCMO substituted with 1qt of EC. Run the EC with a decent off the shelf synthetic. Then switch to 100% PCMO.
I believe HPL mentioned somewhere that to be technically correct, EC works best with conventional/semi synthetics. It is of course 100% compatible with synthetics but there is a slight advantage to using EC with conventional. This is BITOG after all, so every advantage counts.

Here’s the filter from my 2000 Volvo V70. 5 qts M1 0W40 + 1 qt EC30. 4,000 mile OCI.

Obviously there is a lot to clean. The oils are doing a good job.

IMG_5993.jpeg

Here’s the filter from my 2000 Volvo V70. 5 qts M1 0W40 + 1 qt EC30. 4,000 mile OCI.

Obviously there is a lot to clean. The oils are doing a good job.

View attachment 212641
What was the prior oil type and change interval? If it was full synthetic and 5k, it would show that the ring area was still likely collecting deposits. Food for thought in newer cars, and why I’m using HPL from the start.

I believe HPL mentioned somewhere that to be technically correct, EC works best with conventional/semi synthetics. It is of course 100% compatible with synthetics but there is a slight advantage to using EC with conventional. This is BITOG after all, so every advantage counts.
I'm not sure where you read that, but I recently exchanged a few emails with David from HPL about my old Rodeo that is on its 1st HPL oci. Before switching over to a full sump of their PCMO, I ran a qt of the EC with some M1 for a few thousand miles. With almost 2k miles on just HPL PCMO, the oil level dropped about a qt on the stick & wanted to know if it would be ok to top off using their EC. This vehicle is 31 years old, has varnish build up, & a valve tick, but drives fine. I chose to put it on HPL to see how long it would take to clean varnish off the valves. Unfortunately being a low flow area, it's just going to take time, but thought maybe I could speed it up just a tad using their EC in conjunction with their PCMO. This is the answer he gave me.
Good news - I verified that yes - using the HPL Engine Cleaner at 20% volume with our PC Engine Oils is okay and will boost the cleaning without effecting the seals - albeit at a slightly higher cost than using other oils.

Cheers,

David

So a couple weeks ago I threw a qt of the EC in to top off, & will just use PCMO for the next top off/filter change at around 5k miles. Oil on the dip stick still looks clean. Going to take this 1st oci to 10k, then continue with HPL PCMO/ EC combo till it's clean. Possibly in 40k miles if she makes it that long? We'll see. I'll post updates with time.

What was the prior oil type and change interval? If it was full synthetic and 5k, it would show that the ring area was still likely collecting deposits. Food for thought in newer cars, and why I’m using HPL from the start.
Prior oil was a bulk semi-syn 5W30 changed every 3-4 miles. Local travel only.

It was my Dad’s car. He was a depression era person and saw what $0 in the bank looks like. Frugal beyond comprehension.

Hence, lots of varnish and some sludge.

I inherited the car with 111,xxx miles and did a level zero maintenance update.

Per David Ward I plan to do 4-5 OCIs with the EC30 and then switch to HPL 0W40 Euro.

An stupider question:

The HPL PCMO/HDEO by itself cleans. So does the EC 30

I did 2 rounds of EC30 in my daughters CRV. Currently 1200 miles on this OCI with a frankenbrew but one is HPL PCMO 5W-30. 1.5qts PP 5W-30, 2.5 qts PP Euro L 5W-30 and 1qt HPL PCMO 5W-30, XG7317. I'm ok with how this looks for being clean since CRV has almost 234k on it. As '53 Stude said, both clean.

Then through the oil cap before EC30 started and 3 days ago with the frankenbrew. Slow and steady works for me.
IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_6216.jpg

Back