High Performance Lubricants BAS 5w-30 Racing Oil VOA

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I always thought that anything more than 100ppm of Moly was a waste?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a research paper posted on here a while back that moly really doesn't start to show real friction reduction benefits until it is OVER 200 ppm. There were a couple other "benefits" to higher moly... as long as the base oil will keep it in suspension.

I believe that's for "conventional" moly. Tri-nuclear requires a significantly lower treat rate for the same level of effectiveness.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Thank You RDY4WAR
smile.gif

I found it at Advanced Lubrication Inc. They sell it in 12 quart cases only for $164.34 (plus tax and shipping) which comes out to about $13.70/qt.

815-932-3288

Thank You kindly RDY4WAR
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a research paper posted on here a while back that moly really doesn't start to show real friction reduction benefits until it is OVER 200 ppm. There were a couple other "benefits" to higher moly... as long as the base oil will keep it in suspension.

I thought it was the other way around. Lower doses give you friction modification, while the very high doses will also provide anti-wear. Don't mind me, though, since I haven't used an oil with any moly in the better part of a decade.
wink.gif

This is an oil that we are looking into for our race cars.

Does anyone know where 14 ppm of nickel would come from in a virgin oil sample? What about the vanadium and barium?

The base oil is a blend of 1-decene, homopolymer PAO and 1-decene, trimer PAO. The ZDDP is short-chained secondary type. The moly is all tri-nuclear.

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: The VOA seems difficult to read on here when loaded. Here's the data.

Iron: 0
Chromium: 1
Nickel: 14
Aluminum: 0
Copper: 3
Lead: 0
Tin: 0
Cadmium: 0
Silver: 0
Vanadium: 4
Silicon: 23
Sodium: 17
Potassium: 0
Titanium: 0
Molybdenum: 1747
Antimony: 0
Manganese: 0
Lithium: 0
Boron: 118
Magnesium: 4
Calcium: 2488
Barium: 8
Phosphorus: 790
Zinc: 947

KV100 = 10.2 cSt
TBN = 8.72
Oxidation = 11
Nitration = 5

This is a VIRGIN oil sample, not used. OAI screwed that up so ignore the comments.

View attachment 13700

Can this specific 5w30 be used in V8 trucks.

Can this specific 5w30 be used in V8 trucks.
They make a much more appropriate 5W30 for street driven vehicles.

@High Performance Lubricants makes great oil. I’m running their 0W30 in one of the Volvos and will change the other cars over in time.

Take a look at Wayne’s results in his Durango, in this thread.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The silicon is for anti-foaming. I'm not worried about that. I actually want that there.

More than 100 ppm of moly may not show any gains for a daily commuter cruising along at 2000 rpm. The engine this oil is going in is a big block V8 making 1300+ horsepower at 9000 rpm in a highly competitive racing class. We'll take any edge we can get. The margin of victories often come down to thousandths of a second.

Maybe I am forgetting, but I thought the anti-foaming agent was silicone , not silicon . But if you break down silicone you get the element silicon . So how is one supposed to tell the difference between something good like silicone, vs something bad like silicon from dirt ?

You can't from an oil analysis. That's why it's important to know what is in the oil before use.

Back