High oil level in 02 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I need an opinion. Our daughters 02 Maxima has 175000 on the clock and consumes 1-2 qts between changes. Before she came home this weekend a local station topped it off with oil I keep in her trunk. Took it out yesterday and runs rough (idles fine) with a hesitation in it. I had checked oil level earlier and level was very high on the stick ( qt or more!). Oil level can be tricky to read on these engines and figured the guy just misread the dipstick ? Anyway could the extra oil cause this? Has about 50000 on last plug change. When it warms up this afternoon will drain some out and will know more then , maybe someone has some experience here.
Thanks

Well, over 1-2 qts could make the CrankShaft swim in the oil rather than DIP in the oil causing some drag. But, IDK!.

Keep checking other items such as plugs or fuel system

Biggest worry with too much oil is the crank beating it and causing aeration. Bearings don't like aerated oil.

I have noticed that sometimes an oil user will use a 1/2 qt, fairly fast but the next 1/2 qt, takes longer . So I run them a pint low. and check every fillup. Regardless, the over filled pan is not doing that engine any good.

Last edited:
Check the oil level when the engine is stone cold, like in the morning and on level ground. That should give you a true reading. If not, try reading the backside of the dipstick. If it is high, I would remove some oil before any long term damage is done.

I have the sister to the Maxima- the I35. That dipstick truly is a royal PITA to read since it takes a LONG time for the oil to drip back into the sump.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the response ... Long story short oil level wasn't as high as I first thought (my mistake) and after cranking and driving around couldn't get it to duplicate miss or hesitation! Going to send her back to Nashville in wife's car keep hers for a day or 2. Picked up a new pcv valve and will replace fuel filter. Always something ! Thanks again

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well, over 1-2 qts could make the CrankShaft swim in the oil rather than DIP in the oil causing some drag. But, IDK!.

Keep checking other items such as plugs or fuel system

The crank shouldn't dip through the oil in the sump either. Whatever contact it has with oil is either supplied by the galleries via the pump or a vapor/mist/stream of returning oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back