High Oil level Issues!

I have a 2015 GMC Denali 1500, on the last let's say 3 or 4 oil changes in which have been done at the GMC dealership since new now show high oil level on dipstick of about 1 quart to high. I have brought it to their attention each time and they see it marking high also but are unable to give or find an answer as to why this happens. The truck takes 8 quarts of oil and is what they put in. This truck did not have this issue in the past until recently. I took the truck yesterday to another certified oil change facility and let them know of the issue also, they also found that if they put in 8 quarts the oil level is too high on the dip stick. I watched them do the oil change and all was done correctly. In all my years of doing oil changes I have never seen this... So, any ideas as to what is going on. ?

Either they're overfilling it or a gdi injector is dumping lots of fuel. I've never had the level rise on my 21 escalade's 6.2, only go down since it did burn the 0w-20. Got tired of it so i switched to 5w-40 by the 20k mark. Oil changes are pretty easy on these trucks. I'll change the filter every third 7k change now since I'm using the fram endurance. Why not do them yourself unless you have a health condition which is understandable.

I have a 2015 GMC Denali 1500, on the last let's say 3 or 4 oil changes in which have been done at the GMC dealership since new now show high oil level on dipstick of about 1 quart to high. I have brought it to their attention each time and they see it marking high also but are unable to give or find an answer as to why this happens. The truck takes 8 quarts of oil and is what they put in. This truck did not have this issue in the past until recently. I took the truck yesterday to another certified oil change facility and let them know of the issue also, they also found that if they put in 8 quarts the oil level is too high on the dip stick. I watched them do the oil change and all was done correctly. In all my years of doing oil changes I have never seen this... So, any ideas as to what is going on. ?
I always get it hot, park in a level spot, check the oil level after 15 minutes or so, within a day of doing an oil change (or having one done). Otherwise you really have no idea of the oil level starting point, & whether it was over/underfilled to begin with. Obviously increasing oil levels, generally combined with black color & gasoline odor, means injector leakage.

The idiots at the selling dealer overfilled my 2019 6.2L Yukon too. I can only get about 7.5 quarts (with PF63 filter) in it to the full mark when I change it.

My 2019 Toyota shows about 3/8 inch high on the stick if you put in factory spec amount. How much over on the stick is it?

Not sure what to tell you other than DIY and see what happens?

Either they're overfilling it or a gdi injector is dumping lots of fuel. I've never had the level rise on my 21 escalade's 6.2, only go down since it did burn the 0w-20. Got tired of it so i switched to 5w-40 by the 20k mark. Oil changes are pretty easy on these trucks. I'll change the filter every third 7k change now since I'm using the fram endurance. Why not do them yourself unless you have a health condition which is understandable.
I have watched them do it at both oil change locations. and it happens right away after the oil change. i can drive it down the road a mile and recheck it after it sits for a bit. and its already high. vehicle does good on fuel and does not waste oil.

I always get it hot, park in a level spot, check the oil level after 15 minutes or so, within a day of doing an oil change (or having one done). Otherwise you really have no idea of the oil level starting point, & whether it was over/underfilled to begin with. Obviously increasing oil levels, generally combined with black color & gasoline odor, means injector leakage.
Yes, i do the same. the oil is very clean from oil change to oil change. does not smell of fuel. they let it drain all oil out. the fill with the required 8 quarts. and shortly after it marks high. thanks

Maybe the dipstick is incorrect? After 2015 the 5.3 and 6.2 went from factory calling for 8.5 to 8 quarts. Not sure but they’ve all been 8 quarts since.

My 2019 Toyota shows about 3/8 inch high on the stick if you put in factory spec amount. How much over on the stick is it?

Not sure what to tell you other than DIY and see what happens?
over about 1 quaret. Ok. yes i will monitor it and see what happens when i do the oil change next.

Maybe the dipstick is incorrect? After 2015 the 5.3 and 6.2 went from factory calling for 8.5 to 8 quarts. Not sure but they’ve all been 8 quarts since.
Hmmm, maybe it got switched out recently somehow. i will check into this thanks

Did they change the filter too? wondering if they didn't, but put in the amount it needs for when the filter is changed.

Maybe the dipstick isn't correctly marked, or the tube is slightly shorter. Or the manual is just wrong. Or their filling method is off.

Quart high, with this big of a sump, I'm thinking it's not an issue. I wouldn't let it get higher, but maybe it's a non-issue.

The idiots at the selling dealer overfilled my 2019 6.2L Yukon too. I can only get about 7.5 quarts (with PF63 filter) in it to the full mark when I change it.
Yes. seems like i can only get about 7 quarts in no matter who does the oil change.

OK. makes sense. yes they change the filter each time. ok. thanks
Did they change the filter too? wondering if they didn't, but put in the amount it needs for when the filter is changed.

Maybe the dipstick isn't correctly marked, or the tube is slightly shorter. Or the manual is just wrong. Or their filling method is off.

Quart high, with this big of a sump, I'm thinking it's not an issue. I wouldn't let it get higher, but maybe it's a non-issu

My '16 Suburban reads a little high also with 8 qts. After an oil change. That engine (L83) used to call for 8.5 when it came out and GM reduced it to 8 qts. Due to oil getting in the intake/breath/PCV system. So 8 is fine.

I never really worry about it much, actually never check it other than initial early years of ownership. I put 8 in and measure 8 coming out as it goes in the same jugs the new oil came from. Does not use any noticeable oil.

I run Amsoil 0w-20 and Fram XG or FE10575.

From my memory. If you turn the engine off on level surface and check it shortly after it reads at the top of the full line. Sitting overnight or slight angle with front up and it easily reads too high.

My '16 Suburban reads a little high also with 8 qts. After an oil change. That engine (L83) used to call for 8.5 when it came out and GM reduced it to 8 qts. Due to oil getting in the intake/breath/PCV system. So 8 is fine.

I never really worry about it much, actually never check it other than initial early years of ownership. I put 8 in and measure 8 coming out as it goes in the same jugs the new oil came from. Does not use any noticeable oil.

I run Amsoil 0w-20 and Fram XG or FE10575.

From my memory. If you turn the engine off on level surface and check it shortly after it reads at the top of the full line. Sitting overnight or slight angle with front up and it easily reads too high.
Yes, this truck always used 8 quarts and marked ok. just recently it started marking 1 quart high. yes no matter what garage i park the truck in it marks high. all data shows this truck used 8 quarts. me and all these oil change facilities are stumped. I will keep researching. thanks

Getting it hot, level, & giving it time to drain back all make a difference (my company Transit 250 3.5 is impossible to check correctly without doing all 3). I would start with 7 quarts & see what that looks like. The Grand Marquis has the opposite problem, it was marked 7 quarts by a previous owner, but it ends up needing 8.

Yes, im starting to thing drain back is the issue. I think their was even an TSB on these engines. so maybe oil stays left in the system now that the truck is older.

This should be easy to diagnose, given the conditions the OP states ...

Archer1 said:
... and it happens right after they fill it or within a few minutes after the oil change
As quickly as the oil is gaining volume, if this were a fuel dilution issue, the oil would REEK of gasoline. Further, the fuel efficiency would have seen a sigificant negative shift. If these two things are present, then it's a fuel leak (pump or injector). If the fuel does not have a very strong gas odor, then move to the next issue.

It could be an internal coolant leak. But again, as much volume and as quickly as the OP states the oil level changes, it would have to be a really, really bad leak, and he'd see coolant volume loss in the degas tank as well as see coolant vapors in the exhaust. IF those are present, deal with the coolant issue.

I suspect this is a mistaken oil volume issue ... as discussed in other posts above. Given this is the most likely possibility, verify with a GM dealer the proper dipstick part number is in use, and then adjust accordingly. Take the level measurement after a good warmup and proper drainback; don't do this after just a few minutes with oil that isn't fully up to temp.

Last edited:
Back