high mileage 2018 Impreza; buy a spare trans?

Don't most people have a garage, basement or porch. This isn't a Cadillac. Subaru owners tend to diy more then average.

That is probably true but it isn't what you think. If 3% of the average population is a DIYer, than Subaru DIYers might be only 3.5%

That is probably true but it isn't what you think. If 3% of the average population is a DIYer, than Subaru DIYers might be only 3.5%

And those are all WRX drivers adding every fine self adhesive accessory available from PepBoys.

The real question here is why are there so many low mileage transmissions available?

Although this CVT in the car works fine, I can assume some people would be leery buying a car with a high mileage CVT, so why not include a junkyard transmission with the car when selling. I couldn't believe how cheap they go for maybe because the supply is so high? Car-part.com has over 60 webpages of them, and many examples with under 50,000 miles are just $200. I found a 15,000 mile one nearby for $250 + $50 core which of course I'd lose. The only downside I see is you can't be 100% sure it's any good, and the junkyard warranty would be useless to the person I sell to.
If someone want to sell me a used car with a spare junkyard tranny I'd run away as fast as I can. Just for the logical argument 1) you don't know if your junkyard tranny is good or not and you can't rebuild a CVT, 2) the labor to swap a tranny is not something you can recoup and won't add value to a car unlike a new set of tires or a new coat of paint.

The receipt from the junkyard showing mileage, while not foolproof, better than nothing?
For the casual buyers, they don't want used or anything from a junk yard. Junkyard is for the hobbyist and professional knowing what kind of risk to take.

For the professional, they know they won't touch a junk yard unless they are not on the hook for labor if that is a dud. They would tell the customers to buy a rebuild, reman, or new one that comes with a warranty. The risk is not worth the reward.

For the hobbyist, they know the risk, they know their rose tinted glasses, and they know where the junkyard is without you throwing it in. Just discount the price if they are thinking about it instead of buying it ahead of time for them.

Throw in a spare engine, though, and it'll sell like hotcakes. Is this Impreza a hatchback or a sedan? I wonder how many spare CVTs will fit.

One spare CVT won't garner much interest but if you can fit three of them in there, you're golden! Maybe some spare wheels too.

So a random spare transmission is thrown in as buyer's incentive? I'm no sales wizard but wouldn't it be easier, wrt time and money to just figure it this way without the random transmission:

Vehicle minimum price desired + random transmission price = Vehicle asking price?

The random transmission price is the "negotiation wiggle" room between desired and asking price if they want to argue.

This way you don't have to deal with a random transmission.

Well, I just happen to see a 15,000 mile transmission on CP not far from me, and knowing one of the first things a potential customer might say is, Gee I like the car, but at 350,000 miles, that CVT could go any second. Drop the price $3000 and I'll take it. I thought I might grab it and be able to say, Well sir, that's always a possibility, but I have that covered and will include a like new transmission with the car.

For the casual buyers, they don't want used or anything from a junk yard. Junkyard is for the hobbyist and professional knowing what kind of risk to take.

For the professional, they know they won't touch a junk yard unless they are not on the hook for labor if that is a dud. They would tell the customers to buy a rebuild, reman, or new one that comes with a warranty. The risk is not worth the reward.

For the hobbyist, they know the risk, they know their rose tinted glasses, and they know where the junkyard is without you throwing it in. Just discount the price if they are thinking about it instead of buying it ahead of time for them.
And someone buying a subaru to put a junkyard transmission in will want a $350 subaru they bought themselves, not one for 10x the price from a dealer who shampoos all the carpets but won't warranty the car.

Well, I just happen to see a 15,000 mile transmission on CP not far from me, and knowing one of the first things a potential customer might say is, Gee I like the car, but at 350,000 miles, that CVT could go any second. Drop the price $3000 and I'll take it. I thought I might grab it and be able to say, Well sir, that's always a possibility, but I have that covered and will include a like new transmission with the car.
Why stopped at spare CVT, why not engine, AC, suspension, starter, alternator, axles, cat, wheel bearing, radiator, etc etc.

At 350k everything can go wrong not just the CVT, why throw in only a spare CVT?

Why stopped at spare CVT, why not engine, AC, suspension, starter, alternator, axles, cat, wheel bearing, radiator, etc etc.

At 350k everything can go wrong not just the CVT, why throw in only a spare CVT?
Have you read any of the CVT related posts here? Most people are nervous about them to start with. Ad high mileage to the mix and they get even more apprehensive. And a transmission is a big ticket part, the others you list are chump change in comparison.

Have you read any of the CVT related posts here? Most people are nervous about them to start with.
The same could be said of Subaru posts in general. In some threads it seems 2 of every 3 posts is a crack about headgaskets which are surely to blow at any moment. Hence the suggestion for the spare engine.

Don't most people have a garage, basement or porch. This isn't a Cadillac. Subaru owners tend to diy more then average.
This may or may not be a true statement, but you can bet your sweet bippie they have a kitchen counter to freshen up that complimentary CVT on the kitchen counter prior to install!

Back