Hext bolt alternative to Torx bolt

The following part is a fill plug for the front differential of the 2015 Forester (non-turbo). I am looking for a hex alternative to the Torx bolt.
Can anyone tell me what size I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Fill plug.png

Edit. Ignore everything I said. Doesn’t Fumoto or Rally Sport Direct list a plug which would tell it’s size?

Last edited:
Go to a specialty fasteners store with a large stock of metric goods and match the threads, diameter, and length to a bolt with a hex head. You could also get a metric thread gauge to measure the thread pitch and then look online for something suitable.

You're smart to change this. Torx and hex-key heads strip too easily when overtightening, thread lockers, or corrosion make plugs difficult to remove. Why couldn't Subaru have simply made the plug with a square recess to accept a 3/8" ratchet as other manufacturers often do?

Just looked. For M18 the common metric thread pitch is 1.5 mm, but this could easily be different. 1.0 and 2.5 mm are out there too. There's no guarantee Subaru used any of these pitches. Get a metric thread gauge.

Torx and hex-key heads strip too easily when overtightening, thread lockers, or corrosion make plugs difficult to remove. Why couldn't Subaru have simply made the plug with a square recess to accept a 3/8" ratchet as other manufacturers often do?
A stuck plug with a square recess will deform more easily than one with a Torx recess. Subaru used to use drain plugs with 1/2" square drive, but no more apparently. A 1/2" drive ratchet is a loose fit in those plugs.

Thank you, everyone.

Are there any brick-and-mortar specialty fasteners stores or only online? Definitely not HD or Lowes but maybe Ace Hardware?

What is the purpose of changing it out? not that hard to aquire a t70 socket. works as good as anything?
Torx is a better system than hex though you should buy a Torx driver and keep it that way.
Considering the location of this plug and how quickly it corrodes, dealing with it is always a nightmare. This plug is well known to cause headaches. The Torx head strips quickly. Hence, the decision to replace it. Wonder if a regular external hex head can't handle 36.9 ft-lb of torque.

Thank you, everyone.

Are there any brick-and-mortar specialty fasteners stores or only online? Definitely not HD or Lowes but maybe Ace Hardware?

Considering the location of this plug and how quickly it corrodes, dealing with it is always a nightmare. This plug is well known to cause headaches. The Torx head strips quickly. Hence, the decision to replace it. Wonder if a regular external hex head can't handle 36.9 ft-lb of torque.

We have a local hardware store (True Value). They have a fairly elaborate screw selection. They should have a gauge you can screw this into to check thread pitch. If this rusts you might want to consider stainless. Also, if this is a plug you may want to consider a flanged bolt for a larger sealing area or you will likely need some sort of washer along with the screw.

Something else to think about is the size of the socket you will need to get in there to tighten / loosen. Most M18 screws will have a 27mm head. IMO, that is a big wrench for many home owners.

just my $0.02

They put oddball fasteners in the stuff that isn't an engine oil drain so iffy lube techs won't accidentally drain something expensive.

You may be able to use another fastener on your car for a thread pitch gauge. Lug studs, spark plugs have published specs.

Use an open end wrench as a crude caliper to measure diameter.

Back